What's new

What crossover setting do you use? (1 Viewer)

Francois

Auditioning
I am looking at the Denon 3803 which has 40,60,80,100,120 and the Marantz 7400 which only has 80,100,120. I have B&W 603 for fronts, lcr600 for center, and 601s as rears. Sub = maybe 600 or 675. Would I need the lower crossover settings the Denon provides?

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
If you plan on using a sub, then set the crossover at 80 so you can let the sub handle all lower frequencies. THX recommend setting the crossover at 80hz for hometheater applications. If you don't have a sub then the Denon would definately be a better choice as far as bass management goes. My crossover is set at 80hz, my speakers are B&W cdm7nt similar in size to your 603 and a 650 sub.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I asked the same question a few weeks ago and the concensus was 80Hz. ;)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
This will not work for the receivers in question. Both the Denon 3803 and Marantz 7400 use a single, global crossover for all "small" speakers and the subwoofer.

Michael

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The best recommendation I have come across, is to set the crossover at 1/2 to 1 full octave above the -3 dB point for your speakers. Guarentees that the slope the crossover imposes on the signal is not interferred with by the natural roll off of the speaker. That is a lot tougher for a global setting, in that you're almost guarenteed to get a dip in the response for the surrounds and rears which rarely have low enough extension. fwiw! :)

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
If your receiver/pre allows and you have full range fronts, I would encourage a lower crossover point of 60 hz. Try it on your system and compare to 80 hz, you will get a fuller, better integrated soundfield. Note that this does not apply to sub/sat combos...

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, you need to investigate the various options with a sound meter, plotting the frequency response curve for variations from the predicted choice based on speaker capabilities. With my current setup 80Hz would look to be the best choice. But, due to room effects, 100Hz gave me a flatter curve.

YMMV

jdg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks