What's new

What compares to SVS 16-46 (1 Viewer)

SusanP

Grip
I have decided that I want the SVS 16-46 based on the reviews here and on AVS. I just got my Fed Rebate check yesterday so I am ready to buy. :)
I am wondering what sub should I be able to find at a local store to feel what the SVS will do to me? What compares?
Thanks!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Not much. I had heard the SVS compared to the Velodyne (sp?) and HSU stuff but I haven't personally listened to the Velodyne subs.
What you could do is buy the SVS to audition it (only out shipping) or send out a request to audition on by an HTF member in your area who has one. Also, feel free to contact Ron or Tom at SVS and they will give you some subs to audition. They aren't afraid to toot the horns of their competitors also. Nice guys and great customer service.
I've got the 20-39PC and it's great musically and especially with movies. I don't anticipate that you'll be returning it.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have a 16-46 and my advice would be go into a store and listen to the most expensive sub you can find and imagine it being tighter and deeper and that is what you will have with the SVS! I know this sounds corny and cliche about SVS, but you will only believe me when you hear it yourself.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover
Link Removed

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My sub!
laugh.gif

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"
lewisPRsub1.jpg

[Edited last by Lewis Besze on September 11, 2001 at 09:45 PM]

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Lewis, that looks like an 'earthquake' model ...only bigger :)
DIY?
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on September 12, 2001 at 05:06 AM]

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Subwoofers are still speakers so the choice remains a little subjective as well.
Audition subwoofers from Velodyne and Paradigm.. especially the PW2200 and the Servo 15 from Paradigm.
Also consider Adire Audio's Dharma..
Good Luck
-------------------------------------
The things we own end up owning us
[Edited last by John-D on September 12, 2001 at 08:29 AM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I think a HGS15 would have nearly the same performance as the 16-46 using Tom Nousaine's measurement methods. The pw2200 would be a close match...but the 16-46 and HGS15 would extend a good 1/3 octave deeper.(and it's often that last 1/3 octave or so that's so hard to provide).
If you can take a HGS15 home with you for a weekend from a local AV retailer...that would probably give you a good idea of what the 16-46 would provide extension/output wise. And if you could haggle a good price with the local guys...and like the HGS15...it's definitely a *keeper* in my book.
Susan,
How large is your room, and will this be primarily a HT woof? If you'll be using the system for music playback also...will there be any pipe organ/telerc selections?
TV

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
quote: Lewis, that looks like an 'earthquake' model ...only bigger DIY?[/quote]
Sean, yes,it is!
Check out this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum14/HTML/043223.html
To answer your question, for the money,you can't do better then the SVS models,unless you build one yourself,provided that you know how.
Just to give you an idea the Velodyne HGS-15 cost more then twice[retail],then the SVS 16-46,with an amp,so unless you hate the cylinder look,that should be your "guy".
wink.gif

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"
[Edited last by Lewis Besze on September 12, 2001 at 07:00 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks