What's new

What classic cartoon or childrens shows would you like to see released on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Classic theatrical cartoons wanted on R1 DVD:

* All of Columbia's SCREEN GEMS (Fox & Crow, Li'l Abner, Scrappy, etc) and UPA cartoons (Mr. Magoo, Gerald McBoing Boing, THE TELL-TALE HEART, UNICORN IN THE GARDEN, ROOTY TOOT TOOT, etc).

* Universal's WALTER LANTZ cartoons of the 1930s-1950s (Woody Woodpecker, Andy Panda, Swing Symphonys, Hickory Dickory & Doc, etc), particularly all the cartoons directed by Tex Avery, James "Shamus" Culhane, Dick Lundy, Don Patterson, Alex Lovy and Sid Marcus. I wouldn't miss the late 1950s-1970s Paul J. Smith-directed cartoons, though, those were awful (and there were a ton of them). Get cartoon maven Jerry Beck to pick the selections. Many of these cartoons are currently available via Columbia House, but several are edited, and it would be nice to be able to purchase completely uncut Lantz cartoons through regular vendors, rather than getting roped into a DVD-of-the-Month Club type of deal.

* All of MGM's Tex Avery cartoons, and a special DVD set of great MGM cartoon "odds 'n ends" (stuff that doesn't fall under the TOM & JERRY, Tex Avery or Harmon-Ising headings), which would include: Michael Lah's six DROOPY cartoons (all in anamorphic widescreen), Dick Lundy's sole DROOPY cartoon (CABALLERO DROOPY) and ten BARNEY BEAR cartoons, the 1930s CAPTAIN & THE KIDS cartoons, and Milt Gross' two COUNT SCREWLOOSE & J.R. THE WONDER DOG cartoons (JITTERBUG FOLLIES and WANTED: NO MASTER), the three BARNEY BEAR cartoons co-directed by Preston Blair & Michael Lah (THE BEAR & THE HARE, THE BEAR & THE BEAN and GOGGLE FISHING BEAR), Chuck Jones' 1960s theatrical cartoon specials THE DOT & THE LINE and THE BEAR THAT WASN'T. All currently controlled by Time/Warner.

* All the Max Fleischer BETTY BOOP cartoons and other non-POPEYE Fleischer cartoons from the 1930s and 1940s, currently controlled by Artisan.

* All the 1930s-40s Fleischer POPEYE cartoons and the 1940s Famous Studios' POPEYE cartoons, currently co-owned by King Features and Time/Warner.

* The 1960s theatrical PINK PANTHER and INSPECTOR cartoons, currently controlled by MGM

TV cartoons wanted on R1 DVD:

* JONNY QUEST (1964-65 series only)
* GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE/TOM SLICK/SUPER CHICKEN
* HOPPITY HOOPER
* THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968 Hanna-Barbera)
* The complete PIXIE & DIXIE (& MR. JINKS) cartoon collection
* The remaining BEANY & CECIL cartoons
* The remaining ROGER RAMJET cartoons
* The remaining ROCKY & BULLWINKLE cartoons
* THE ALVIN SHOW (the 1960s incarnation of ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS, including the CLYDE CRASHCUP cartoons)

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Are you Afraid of the Dark

Those aren't on anymore and haven't been for years and I would love to see them all again.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I would just about die of happiness if I ever heard of Rocko's Modern Life being released on DVD.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Region 1 releases of the "Dangermouse" sets would be welcome here. I would also gladly fork out money for full season boxsets of the 90s "Spider-Man" series and "Into the Labyrinth" (UK series that was partially aired in Nickelodeon's "The Third Eye" anthology series). I might buy some sets of "The Real Ghostbusters" if the price was reasonable.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I remember Kids from CAPER.

On top of Electric Company I know there is demand for a Sesame Street boxed set (actually it'd probably be a 2 disc) of vintage bits. Schoolhouse Rock did pretty well so why not release this?

"We all live in a capitol I, capitol I, capitol I"

-paul

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
-All three prime-time Puff the Magic Dragon specials
-The remaining Rankin/Bass specials (including the exceptional Wind in the Willows from ABC)
-The Strawberry Shortcake specials from the early 1980's
-The Smurfs
-The remaining Casper cartoons
-Complete early Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers episodes
-The remaining Peanuts specials
-Pebbles and Bamm Bamm (where they were teenagers)
-Some of the ABC Weekend Specials (I remember Bunnicula and Miss Switch)
-Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids Complete Series
-Today's Special (remember this PBS series!)

.....can you tell that I'm a '70's toddler/'80's child????

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Spider-Man (90s)
Spider-Man (60s)
Batman: TAS

A couple of years ago I read that they were remastering the old 60s Spider-Man but have heard nothing since. Anybody have any news regarding this?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
New Adventures of Pinocio, as well as the Puppet Wizard of Oz. These aired back to back on a local channel a few years ago, and I would kill to be able to have them complete.

The Adventures Of Hercules (Cartoon with song from Johnny Nash) would be great too! (not to mention countless others already listed above.

So do we know if any of the above are in the works? (Star Trek animated must be!)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Top of my list:
Batman The Animated Series
Batman Beyond

Runners up:
Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
The Smurfs

Ones I wouldn't mind checking out:
M.A.S.K.
Visionaries
G.I.Joe
DuckTales
(just the first 5 pilot episodes)

Claude North

Second Unit
I would love to see THE NEW ADVENTURES OF BATMAN released on DVD. I don't know if anyone else remembers this animated incarnation of Batman, but it aired around 1977, starred Adam West and Burt Ward as the voices of Batman and Robin, and featured the character Bat-Mite. If I recall correctly, there were never any fight sequences in these cartoons. However, nearly all of the major villains showed up at some point, along with a few made-for-TV bad guys (a la the live-action BATMAN series).

And speaking of Batman cartoons, I would love to see all of those DC Comic superhero cartoons from the 1960s released on DVD. Warners released several VHS volumes of them years ago under the umbrella title SUPER POWERS SERIES, and they have aired (along with SUPER FRIENDS segments) on USA Network and Cartoon Network.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I second the "original" He-Man and She-Ra cartoons, they were great! And their was always a lesson to be learned at the end of each show when they did a recap.

Don't talk to me about the new He-Man cartoon... It looks like crap! I guess their so dependant on computers these days that they forgot how to draw cartoons!

In the original series, "Teela" and "She-Ra/Adora" were babes! :D

Here are a few more:

Goldorak
Voltron (Lions)
G-Force

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks