What's new

What CD For £500?? (1 Viewer)

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently updating the majority of my home cinema and hi-fi system, at the moment I have the Arcam CD72 which I picked up for a bargain price a few months back, I would however now like to upgrade to a new cd player for around the £500 mark, could anyone give me some good suggestions?

My main type of listening music is dance and I will be partnering it with a Marantz SR-7200 (Rotel Power amp to come soon) and also B&W DM605 S2 speakers.

Thanks

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
James,
Personally, I'm crazy about my Musical Fidelity A3 CD player...the sound, the looks, the build...it's all good! While I think it was around 799 pounds when it was new, it has been discontinued, so you may be able to find it for a bit less. I got mine from Audiogon for $700. You may also be able to find it's little brother, the E624 (it has basically the same guts as the A3, but it lacks the silver/gold plated case work and a few other features) for less than 500 pounds as it retailed for that price when it was new (it has also been discontinued). Try this list for some reviews and pricing:
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, I must admit I have never considered musical fidelity for any equipment actually. When it came to get a new CD player I really had no idea where to start as the Arcam I got at such a good price their was no question of whether to but it or not. I have considered the updated Arcam player but I cannot hear any difference between the two when I auditioned it.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
James,

I noticed that you've started this thread in at least two different areas of the forum. That's a no-no here, so this thread will likely be closed in favor of the one that is in the correct area (Audio/Video Sources).

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if I have broken any 'rules' of the site, I didnt think it would make any difference posting in two forums, its not exactly doing anyone any harm, especially when the forum I posted in refers to 'Receivers/SEPARATES/Amps' Separates I would have thought included CD's, CD recorders, Minidiscs, Tuners etc as they are all classed as separates.

With regard to the audio/video sources at the time I could find no posts refering to cd players and all towards DVD players so I dont see a problem posting in both forums.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
James,

The Arcam is a good transport, correct ? Have you thought about teaming it with a good dac? Now I know your going to laugh but theirs a dac that costs 122.00 (US) and its amazing, the ART DI/O,. this little wonder beat my lexicons dc-2 dacs and also smoked my cambridge 500 se dacs. it has been said(audioasylum.com) to have been at least as good as the msb gold dac(1800.00) by many and also compared favorably to the perpetual dac/pa 1 combo (1400.00) and many other high dollar dacs. You should check over at the asylum for more info..

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
James_N_H,
I agree with John...you may want to look into going with a DAC if you're confident that the Arcam transport is doing a good job. I was going on the presumption that you had your mind made up on an upgrade (believe me, I know how that goes!:D) and that you wanted to buy a new one.
FWIW, check here for the specs and a picture of the MF-A3CDP:
http://www.musical-fidelity.co.uk/pr...3cdplayer.html
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks