What's new

Remember days of old and these demo discs (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I was moving a storage cabinet for old DVDs and I came across these. I remember when I got my first set up I can only play the Dolby Digital disc because my first receiver had no DTS decoding. When I upgraded to a Harmon Kardon AVR 500 from the Kenwood 202, I got the DTS cd. I decided to pop these bad boys in last night and of course to no surprise they really sound good. I haven't seen those Dolby Digital 5.1 trailers in years and with a 7.2 set up it was fun to listen to and watch. Time for an upgrade on these demo discs. What fun we had when 5.1 first came out for the home and our efforts in tweaking your system.

Did you use these discs back then to show off your stuff, let me know.

DTS and DD.JPG

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I didn't have those, but it reminded me that somewhere I have a stash of Total Movie Magazine DVDs. First time I had seen "Troops".
Good times.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have one of those also. There is also a DTS had other movie demos like Antz and the Haunting. That had some of the strongest bass demonstrations back then and probably just as intense now. I am looking for it now in the group to give it a whirl.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I located the DTS disc with scenes from Dances with Wolves, Antz, The Haunting and Saving Private Ryan. It also had Sheryl Crow's, Eagle's and Roy Orbinsons's live 5.1 performances, and what a blast. The Haunting really had some serious, serious bass on it. I felt the floor shake at a relatively low volume since it was about 11:00 p.m. last night. Like I said, I will be upgrading the demo discs for 7.1 sound.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This thread got me thinking of the old Dolby and DTS decoders you could buy in the early days of surround sound. I'd like to see a similar device for Dolby Atmos and DTS X to use with existing amps, and saving some cash over buying a new processor/pre-amp. I know this would be even more of a niche product than it was in the early days, but it would do for me. They could have a modular design so you could add channels when you expand. Maybe start with a 5.1.2 model, and maybe a 7.1(X2).4 with room for modular expansion, maybe not the full 32 channels or whatever it is for Atmos, but maybe at least half that.
I haven't had these discs in my collection, but had a couple THX demo discs over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks