What's new

Absolute newbie, very basic recommendations needed (1 Viewer)

pickin_grinnin

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
I currently have a:

- TV (of course)
- Blu-ray player
- Roku 3
- older generation Verizon DVR
- XBox 360 (though I may be getting rid of that)

I do not have

- a receiver
- speakers or other sound equipment

I have never had a home theater setup of any kind, and am still doing a lot of reading to learn more about everything. My needs are very simple, though. I want to connect my equipment (listed above) to a receiver and improve the quality of the sound.

Caveats:

I am not an audio conossieur, by any stretch of the imagination. I can't hear the difference between an mp3 or a CD, for example, even on decent equipment. I'm not looking for the absolute best sound quality out there - I just want something a step or two above what I have now.

I have about $500 to spend, which I know is barely anything in the world of home theaters. I know I will be buying cheap components, but want to maximize the value I get for the money. Knowing me, it is unlikely that I would look to upgrade any of this in less than 5 years.

Any suggestions for brands or models of equipment to look at would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
They are both steals, but the Onyko has additional analog connections giving more flexibility to add components, and if the older generation Verizon DVR doesn't use HDMI you'll need the analog inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks