What's new

What are your most wanted abandoned series? (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Some of those ill-advised tv properties that were abandoned I don't blame these companies at all...especially all those cop shows! Just what the world really needs.

MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN - Considering some of the slipshod work done with the unwelcomed inclusion of time-compressed episodes and the overall "done on the cheap" microcompressed 3 doublesided disc format this one just beggars to be done all over again by some other more reputable DVD distributor.

HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL - Only 3 seasons released and it (intially) seemed to be doing so well. Come on folks! If we must have a western tv series made available on DVD this is it!

ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY - What happened here?! Considering the marginal quality of the first season (1970) episodes and the made-for-television film (especially all the fan controversy connected with them) perhaps this one should be done over again from the very beginning as well.

Jeff T.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
SWAT- you can download all the second season from amazon but it just isn't the same as having the dvds in your hands.

I would also like more Kojak but that doesn't seem likely.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Can I stop to point out that the vast majority of titles in this list were Top Ten shows in their day? These were the shows that garnered all the news articles and their stars graced the covers of all the magazines. "Cheers" and "Mary Tyler Moore" were the most popular sitcoms of their day. "Hill Street Blues" was the darling of the Emmys--and the people liked it too! TV doesn't get any better than the shows on this list (well, Baywatch is on the list too, but that's another story).

To not have all this great, top quality tv on dvd is disgraceful to say the least. It's a shame the dvd medium didn't come along 20 years earlier because then we wouldn't have this problem--the stuff would have been released years ago.

And it's not just classic tv...why did they abandon "King of the Hill?" That show's still on the air and still popular.

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
The Big Valley
Cheyenne
Mary Tyler Moore
Knots Landing

And has there been any word on part two of The Fugitive season one yet? I'm a little worried about that one getting abandoned...

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I started this thread because I had quite a list of ones I wanted completed. Looking over every ones lists, it really is amazing just how many classic shows are not being finished. It is frustrating to me when I see really obscure shows like Salvage 1 and Tales Of The Gold Monkey being announced but we can't get all-time classics like MTM, Cheers and Leave It To Beaver finished.

I just cannot figure out these studios.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Bob Newhart Show
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
Maude
The Partridge Family
One Day at a Time
Family
My Favorite Martian

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
Knots Landing
Once and Again (Buena Vista was all ready to release S3, even recorded a commentary with Sela Ward on the final episode... that was 2 years ago. Check prior postings on tvshowsondvd.com for more details)
Party of Five
Who's The Boss
Dynasty - Yes, they just released S2 but there's been no word on S3. I don't want to wait 2 yrs for the next season.

Most wanted not yet available?

EIGHT IS ENOUGH
The LOVE BOAT
FANTASY ISLAND

michael_ks

Screenwriter

No word yet but I suspect we'll see an announcement before the end of the year. Going by another Paramount split set as guide ("The Untouchables") the second half of S2 was released around 5 1/2 months after vol. 1. That puts vol. 2 of "Fugitive" in stores hopefully by Jan-Feb 2008.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Naked City
The Bob Newhart Show
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Have Gun, Will Travel
Taxi
Hill Street Blues
Big Valley
Kojak
White Shadow
Night Gallery

Mark, I'm sure that Michael is correct- The Fugitive sold too well to be abandoned.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Sony:
The Facts Of Life (I think there's a 50/50 chance of more sets, it's just obviously not a priority)
Diff'rent Strokes (I'm guessing a 20% chance, I think if Janet Jackson's new album is a success, we could possibly see a season 3 announcement)
One Day At A Time (no clue, I think it gets better as it progresses, but I have no idea how s1 sold, probably not very well)
227 (probably a 5% chance, there were season 2 rumors in 2006, who knows)
Maude (I'm not really worried because I've acquired the show through ways I won't discuss here, but I do want more sets officially, and what about the extras that Bea and Adrienne did?)

Paramount:
Taxi (who knows, we got 3 seasons in a year, and then 2 years have passed with no season 4)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if CBS/Paramount will continue releasing Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley at a steady pace. I think there's a good chance of seeing more than one season in 2008. We got 2 seasons this year which was quite a surprise.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
not only that, but there's a good shot Mork And Mindy will finish next year.... when for a long time we were sure it was a "Season one and done"

Wezzo

Second Unit
King of the Hill
Malcolm in the Middle
Diff'rent Strokes
Cheers
The Larry Sanders Show
Night Court
Taxi
Joey
NYPD Blue
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (I'm optimistic about this one, though)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
regarding Fresh Prince, I heard from a friend that the sets have been selling well, it's just that season 5 has some music rights issues that Warner wants to settle before putting more product out. To be honest, TV-DVD would be screwed if a show that airs 200 times a week on Nick At Nite couldn't do well on DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks