What's new

What are your ideas regarding setting up a home theater with remote curtains? (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Simon,

Thoughts pertaining to what exactly? How to do it, how it looks - whether it's a good idea or something else?

SimonSaltzman

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon Saltzman
Hi Dave, I have hired a theater designer to create a proscenium (Art Deco) for my wall 50" TV. Frame must include room to accomodate remote curtains - a contour (Austrian folds) front curtain and a (see through) traveler on different tracts. Also want to have curtains to open and extend beyond frame to cover wall space on each side of TV. Question is whether this is doable, practical or off the wall crazy. But it is something I've dreamed of having for many years. To give the feeling of vintage movie palace. I welcome ideas.

SimonSaltzman

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon Saltzman
Hi All, I want to clarify further. Has anyone done anything like this and....their experience with budget and technology etc.

SimonSaltzman

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon Saltzman
Being a new member to this forum, I am curious if there has been any discussion, interest in Presentation, design, or operation of home theaters. Any feedback appreciated.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Simon,

A proscenium can be a great look - but generally I think it only works well for projection setups. Am I reading correctly that you're doing the same with a 50" TV?

SimonSaltzman

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon Saltzman
Hi Simon,

A proscenium can be a great look - but generally I think it only works well for projection setups. Am I reading correctly that you're doing the same with a 50" TV?
The proscenium would only be the "crown" on the frame that would be built to house the remote mechanicals for the two main curtains (contour and traveller). I am the host of a small film club that meets regularly. Our main interest/passion are "pre-code (1929 - 34) and classic silents. As a former theater "guy" I want the presentation to take precedence over what we show and discuss. . Also want to insure we have proper lighting. Mostly thank you for your interest. I know this will be costly but I want showing the films to be an "event." I want the group to go "wow" and applaud as the contour rises and we see the opening credits on the film through the sheer traveller...especially on opening night.

Frankie_A

Agent
You might be of a certain age as I am where you grew up during the Golden Age of the Movie Palace where even the lowly neighborhood theatres had a screen curtain and curtain lighting that started the each show. At my first job at the State Theatre in Austin, TX (Interstate Theatres), they handed me a manager's manual which I read diligently and saw in big bold letters -- "Pristine Presentation is our most important Goal" and that was followed by a whole chapter on Curtain Protocol -- how it was to be used to start a show, closed after the "Short Subject," cartoon (there was always a cartoon before the main feature) and the Coming Attractions. The curtain closed after the attraction reel and there was a pause, the masking behind the curtain was reset to accommodate the aspect ratio change from the Academy square of the cartoon, to the wide screen width of the feature. It was all very dramatic, and rightfully sol. Why close after the Attraction real? Because as the chapter on protocol explained, the curtain makes a statement -- it says something import is about to happen as it glides open wider and wider -- much wider than the preceding cartoon. The 20th Century Fox logo hitting the opening curtain and screen as that iconic logo music by Alfred Newman surrounds the audience; it's movie magic. Even to this day, in the theatre when I am lucky enough to be the director and were we DO have a gorgeous satin cream curtain and blue and amber curtain lights...when that film starts and that curtain opens, it still gives me goosebumps every time. And BTW, the manual also noted in bold lettering, "When the theatre is opened to the public, the curtain shall ALWAYS remain closed at all times when there is no movie being projected. THE MORTAL SIN OF PRESENTATION is for a audience to see a NAKED SCREEN."
And they weren't kidding. One day the motor on the curtain stopped working and it wouldn't be repaired for a week. The manager insisted that before and after every show, there be TWO ushers assigned to go back stage to pull curtain opening and closing on cue from the projectionist. Why two, asks I? So that even if one of those idiots forgets to be there or gets there late, that curtain will still function.

But I digress. The point is, yes do it to the best your pocket book allows and ignore the nay-sayers. In my home theatre I couldn't have a hard "crown" to create the proscenium. but I used a curtain valance stapled directly to the ceiling to frame the main curtain just in front of the track. Back then (the mid-70s before anyone even conceived of the notion of a home theatre), l was able to find a lightweight curtain track that was bendable -- VERY hard item to find today -- because like you, I needed the curtain to open far enough past the screen to contain all the folded bulk of it, and I need at least some of bulk to land in the curve to be almost parallel with the side walls, out of the way of the screen. Back then I was using an Advent VideoBeam (7ft diagonal screen -- very big for its time) and to get that authentic cinema feel, I masked the screen on all four sides with lightweight black velour. You can do that with your flat panel TV as well -- put black masking around the entire set and you've got yourself something that looks MUCH more like a movie theatre than just having the set sitting naked at the front of the room with everything around it visible to the eye.

I am still looking for a motorize curtain track that can be curved so as to take the the bulk of the folded curtain off to the side wall as the screen is almost the full width of the front wall, so the folded curtain when opened needs to live somewhere that won't block the screen.

If anyone has any familiarity with curved motorize curtain tracks, particularly a manufacturer and contact info, please let us know!

SimonSaltzman

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon Saltzman
You might be of a certain age as I am where you grew up during the Golden Age of the Movie Palace where even the lowly neighborhood theatres had a screen curtain and curtain lighting that started the each show. At my first job at the State Theatre in Austin, TX (Interstate Theatres), they handed me a manager's manual which I read diligently and saw in big bold letters -- "Pristine Presentation is our most important Goal" and that was followed by a whole chapter on Curtain Protocol -- how it was to be used to start a show, closed after the "Short Subject," cartoon (there was always a cartoon before the main feature) and the Coming Attractions. The curtain closed after the attraction reel and there was a pause, the masking behind the curtain was reset to accommodate the aspect ratio change from the Academy square of the cartoon, to the wide screen width of the feature. It was all very dramatic, and rightfully sol. Why close after the Attraction real? Because as the chapter on protocol explained, the curtain makes a statement -- it says something import is about to happen as it glides open wider and wider -- much wider than the preceding cartoon. The 20th Century Fox logo hitting the opening curtain and screen as that iconic logo music by Alfred Newman surrounds the audience; it's movie magic. Even to this day, in the theatre when I am lucky enough to be the director and were we DO have a gorgeous satin cream curtain and blue and amber curtain lights...when that film starts and that curtain opens, it still gives me goosebumps every time. And BTW, the manual also noted in bold lettering, "When the theatre is opened to the public, the curtain shall ALWAYS remain closed at all times when there is no movie being projected. THE MORTAL SIN OF PRESENTATION is for a audience to see a NAKED SCREEN."
And they weren't kidding. One day the motor on the curtain stopped working and it wouldn't be repaired for a week. The manager insisted that before and after every show, there be TWO ushers assigned to go back stage to pull curtain opening and closing on cue from the projectionist. Why two, asks I? So that even if one of those idiots forgets to be there or gets there late, that curtain will still function.

But I digress. The point is, yes do it to the best your pocket book allows and ignore the nay-sayers. In my home theatre I couldn't have a hard "crown" to create the proscenium. but I used a curtain valance stapled directly to the ceiling to frame the main curtain just in front of the track. Back then (the mid-70s before anyone even conceived of the notion of a home theatre), l was able to find a lightweight curtain track that was bendable -- VERY hard item to find today -- because like you, I needed the curtain to open far enough past the screen to contain all the folded bulk of it, and I need at least some of bulk to land in the curve to be almost parallel with the side walls, out of the way of the screen. Back then I was using an Advent VideoBeam (7ft diagonal screen -- very big for its time) and to get that authentic cinema feel, I masked the screen on all four sides with lightweight black velour. You can do that with your flat panel TV as well -- put black masking around the entire set and you've got yourself something that looks MUCH more like a movie theatre than just having the set sitting naked at the front of the room with everything around it visible to the eye.

I am still looking for a motorize curtain track that can be curved so as to take the the bulk of the folded curtain off to the side wall as the screen is almost the full width of the front wall, so the folded curtain when opened needs to live somewhere that won't block the screen.

If anyone has any familiarity with curved motorize curtain tracks, particularly a manufacturer and contact info, please let us know!
Hi Dave, I am going to try to answer your questions as well as open up a dialogue with you (someone who understands the esthetic and the joy of the old movie palace experience. You could say my project is definitively in “bucket list” category....but being in sound mind and body at 83. I am proceeding with a New York based theater scenic designer. We had to start from scratch as no investigation into home theater design suggested anyone is doing what I am doing.

Yes, I have a curved 50” wall TV and no plans for projection. But I am turning my living room (not a den) into a mini-movie palace with an accent on Art Deco design. My background like yours is in theater production as well as a writer for over 50 years During my college years I was an usher at RCMH as at the Roxy where presentation was more important than the film. WE MUST TALK as I fondly remember .

Your background enables me to share my passion for presentation, especially during this time when staying home often takes precedence over going out. I have spent many hours with my designer explaining what I wanted. WE are actually doing it this month. I have seen the plans for the proscenium frame (custom designed and executed by designer) that will house the two (contour and traveller) remote curtains.

Also curtains outside the proscenium will be installed to open to cover all windows wall to wall. We are considering a starry night projection for ceiling at show time. I would be happy to share designs with you as I would like any suggestions from you. I will be installing a couple of speakers to enhance my Vose box. I am expecting my traveler to stop and mask the image as not to show any black borders for vintage ratio movies.

I like when you say “goose bumps” as I expect my guests (maybe even me alone in the dark) to applaud as the golden contour rises and we see the credits through the traveler as it opens. I have also found a few magnificent theater organ medleys that will set the stage before the film is shown and serve as exit music (“exits and lounges to the left”) as was the often repeated announcement by ushers during a break.

I would love to see what you have done. This forum is new to me and interestingly no one besides yourself as contacted me about my project. Most of the discussions seem to be about talking about films themselves. Your projection ideas seem to be far advanced using “projection TV”. I don’t know anything about curved motorized track but I do know that my gold contour will be hidden in the rafters of the frame until it begins its descent. I will ask my designer about your “curved track” The conversation as started. Let the games begin. Best, Simon

SimonSaltzman

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon Saltzman
Hi Dave, I am going to try to answer your questions as well as open up a dialogue with you (someone who understands the esthetic and the joy of the old movie palace experience. You could say my project is definitively in “bucket list” category....but being in sound mind and body at 83. I am proceeding with a New York based theater scenic designer. We had to start from scratch as no investigation into home theater design suggested anyone is doing what I am doing.

Yes, I have a curved 50” wall TV and no plans for projection. But I am turning my living room (not a den) into a mini-movie palace with an accent on Art Deco design. My background like yours is in theater production as well as a writer for over 50 years During my college years I was an usher at RCMH as at the Roxy where presentation was more important than the film. WE MUST TALK as I fondly remember .

Your background enables me to share my passion for presentation, especially during this time when staying home often takes precedence over going out. I have spent many hours with my designer explaining what I wanted. WE are actually doing it this month. I have seen the plans for the proscenium frame (custom designed and executed by designer) that will house the two (contour and traveller) remote curtains.

Also curtains outside the proscenium will be installed to open to cover all windows wall to wall. We are considering a starry night projection for ceiling at show time. I would be happy to share designs with you as I would like any suggestions from you. I will be installing a couple of speakers to enhance my Vose box. I am expecting my traveler to stop and mask the image as not to show any black borders for vintage ratio movies.

I like when you say “goose bumps” as I expect my guests (maybe even me alone in the dark) to applaud as the golden contour rises and we see the credits through the traveler as it opens. I have also found a few magnificent theater organ medleys that will set the stage before the film is shown and serve as exit music (“exits and lounges to the left”) as was the often repeated announcement by ushers during a break.

I would love to see what you have done. This forum is new to me and interestingly no one besides yourself as contacted me about my project. Most of the discussions seem to be about talking about films themselves. Your projection ideas seem to be far advanced using “projection TV”. I don’t know anything about curved motorized track but I do know that my gold contour will be hidden in the rafters of the frame until it begins its descent. I will ask my designer about your “curved track” The conversation as started. Let the games begin. Best, Simon

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I would like to know what kind of resonably priced speakers can I buy to enhance (and best compliment) my simple Bose box
Simon,

Do you have an AV receiver today, or is your Bose unit integrated with its own amp/controller? If you could share any detail on your current equipment we can make some recommendations appropriately

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.