What's new

What are your DVD predictions for 2003? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Wondering if you all have predictions for what to expect in DVD for 2003? You can predict releases, product changes, features, studio policy changes, pricing or whatever. Here's some of my predictions and they are based on supposition, not a fact at all but this is what I think will happen with DVD in 2003:

End of Snappers!
I just think that Warner will finally end their support of this.

Warner and DTS
I think 2003 will finaly see it happen

Paramount will bring it's pricing and features inline with everyone elses.

More 2 disc SE to max the bitrate for audio/video quality

More features like branching used.

What do you predict?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I will stop renting from Blockbuster (because of their new policies regarding P&S).

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Ditto. When I got my first DVD player I knew both the Fedex and UPS delivery guys by name but as of recently my purchases have fallen way off. I have just over 100 titles in my collection and I'm currently averaging maybe 1 new title per month. The more I own the better a disc has to be for me to consider it. More often than not I'll just stay home and watch something I already own.

Craig_T

Second Unit
-There will be even more pan & scan junk from studios like Columbia.

-Fox will continue their asinine policy of releasing the "The Simpsons" at a snail's pace. Their other tv shows will continue being released like clockwork every 6 months.

-Warner will continue ignoring their huge vault of classics.

-Universal will release the 47th different version of "The Mummy," setting a new record for home video. Meanwhile, titles like "Double Indemnity" will sit untouched.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1. 30% market penetration.
2. Leading to more P&S.
3. I'd love too see more DVD-V music singles [as well as DVD-A singles].
4. Common [$200] players with DVD-A/SACD.
5. With the release of The Pink Floyd's DSotM, huge leap for DVD-A [really going out on a limb with that one].
6. Digital Output's for DVD-A/SACD at the $500 price point.
7. And my favorite movie of all time, the original King Kong, in a non-snapper, two disc set, with original mono & 24/96 DTS ES [ using original sound stems only] soundtracks, the original radio ad's, and with frame by frame digital capture from pristine sources & direct from the digital files transfer; to the point you can see the brush strokes on the glass backgrounds!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just as studios realized this year that there was money to be made from their TV product, they'll realize that there's money to be made from the stuff in the vaults. However, as with TV, they'll have to find a new way to do it. I'm thinking relatively small runs (maybe even press-to-order) ordered directly from the studio, without a retailer middleman.

At least one studio will start mailing DVDs of trailers and the like out directly, like AOL discs (heck, it'll probably be Warner or New Line and include AOL on it).

More shows will follow the lead of "24", making one season available on DVD a month before the new season starts.

A small boutique film distributor (someone like Kino, Strand, or First Run Features) will discontinue VHS.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Fox will continue their asinine policy of releasing the "The Simpsons" at a snail's pace. Their other tv shows will continue being released like clockwork every 6 months.
Has it occured to you that there may be other forces at work that make the sets take so long? (And no, it's not finding time to commentary every episode)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Two Towers Extended Version (gift set) replaces Fellowship of the Ring as best DVD ever produced.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, I remembered when I bought my first dvd player during the summer of 1997, there was much optimism and here we are today with all these negative comments posted in this thread.:frowning:
Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I see myself buying about the same amount in 2003 as I did this year. I will have bought about 25-30 titles for the year come December. I know there will (hopefully) be some re-releases (Batman:SE? Goodfellas? Scarface? etc.) that I want. There may also be some TV series I will want to pick up: maybe Married with Children; definitely Sanford and Son, season II if it's avaliable.

I'm sure there will be a few brand new movies I will want, as well.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ditto. When I got my first DVD player I knew both the Fedex and UPS delivery guys by name but as of recently my purchases have fallen way off. I have just over 100 titles in my collection and I'm currently averaging maybe 1 new title per month.
Carl, you & me both. There was a time when I was buying 5 to 10 new discs per month. Lately, I'm lucky to buy 1, if that. However, this month has a lot of good releases - I've already picked up Spiderman & The Sum Of All Fears, and still have AOTC & LOTR to buy. So my DVD habit is starting to kick in again.

As for predictions? I only have a prayer: Back To The Future. Please, oh please, oh please please please give us the BTTF trilogy in glorious anamorphic widescreen! Pack them with extras and put them under my stocking, Santa Spielberg...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
A nuclear holocaust will plunge our planet into ancarchy and we will all become mole people resorting to cannibalism.

Hey... expect the worst... you'll never be dissapointed.

I also predict I will be first in line to buy the Two Towers

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ryan,
You need to keep up with the latest dvd release news.
Gah!!! Robert, you have made my day! I'm pre-ordering this bad boy right now ...
EDIT: One boxed set is reserved in my name. Man, I need to spend more time keeping an eye on upcoming releases...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Good:

There will be a lot of great dvds released keeping me happy and poor, hopefully including some nice surpises (e.g., The Dick Van Dyke Show, Captain Blood, To Have & Have Not, Darby O'Gill & the Little People, The African Queen, Up in Arms, the rest of the Thin Man films, Duel, Kiss Me Stupid, Top Hat, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, This Gun for Hire, etc.).

At least one great movie will get restored and saved by Robert Harris, thanks to a studio with some foresight.

The Bad:

There will still be no Star Wars (OT) or Indiana Jones, and there will be no re-releases of currently screwed up dvds such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Grumpy Old Men, National Lampoon's Vacation, etc.

The Ugly:

More and more pathetic pan & scan only releases. Disney will do this to lots of our childhood favorites, and all the studios will continue the odious practice of lying and calling it fullscreen.

At least one great movie will have it's elements crumble beyond repair before Robert Harris can get to it, thanks to some studio without foresight.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
-Warner will continue ignoring their huge vault of classics.
Yeah...they only released 50 catalog titles this year, with over 20 upcoming. They should be doing at least 1000! That isn't unreasonable, is it? :D
As for my predictions:
- More major studio silents. Paramount is having Wings restored and WB is putting out the 18 Chaplin films on DVD. I'm hoping this leads to more silents...and I think it'll happen. No doubt their DVDs will be great.
- Fox will change their decision to make Sunrise availible only via a 3-for-1 offer. They'll keep that and also make it availible for purchase.
- Disney will finally put The Thief and the Cobbler on DVD, fully restored and reconstructed to Richard Williams' wishes.
- WB will release some of the greatest films of all time on DVD for the first time. (since WB hasn't released ANY classics... :D )
- Disney and Columbia will become WORST STUDIOS of the year due to their foolish overlooking of their many titles. Sure...Ernest Saves Christmas not with matting is one thing....but a blockbuster such as Honey, I Shrunk The Kids with the same treatment???
- Snappers will be discontinued due to the on-going, shrieking, moaning, overblown, exaggerated complaints about them.
- Mono sound will continue to be looked as a red-headed stepchild...I have no doubt of the wonderful "Great fidelity, but only 2 channels of sound." mentality when it comes to the DVD releases of King Kong and The Adventures of Robin Hood. I guess some DVD reviewers can't stand a movie from 1933 not having DTS 6.1 ES. :D
- Looney Tunes will finally come to DVD: restored, uncut, and uncensored (take notes, BVHE.) with enough supplements to shake a stick at.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
- HDVD
- Paramount & dts
- Indiana Jones trilogy
- Me finally hitting 100 DVD's

5-10 a month!!! Shit i must be a bit mental i get on average 20-30 DVD's a month..
Damn i need to cut down or i'll be in debt soon.. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks