What's new

What are your DVD predictions for 2003? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
In 2003, I'm looking forward to *finally* owning the following on DVD:
The Day the Earth Stood Still
King Kong
(1933)
The Lion King
Sleeping Beauty
Deep Space Nine
Valley of the Gwangi(?)

-and-
I'll hopefully also be able to purchase the
Indiana Jones Trilogy
before the end of the year.
I'm also going to continue to *pray* during the entire calendar year of 2003 that Lucas will give us a basic release of the original Star Wars Trilogy at the end of 2004 to help promote the theatrical release of Episode 3 in May 2005. He can then give us his "Super-Duper" set in 2007 as part of the 30th Anniversary celebration of the release of the original Star Wars movie.
Uh ... What was the question again?

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I'm predicting a great year for classic movies fans. Most studios have realised that a remastered classic special edition sells. Warner Bros are my new heros - the picture quality and extras on Singin in the Rain was stunning. Roll on Robin Hood and other classics in 2003.

I'm also looking forward to more silents coming.

In terms of wishful thinking - I'm hoping Criterion will revise their pricing structure more inline with other suppliers. I think their dvds (incl classic and arthouse) would sell very well if their prices were much more competitive - the dvd market is so huge now. I would buy about 50 of their catalogue but when you have the choice between a new release for £11 or a criterion for £26 - its hard to pick the criterion. I, like many I think, tend to pick one or 2 dvds a week so weekly prices on dvd makes a difference. Hence I have only 2 criterions (39 Steps and Rebecca) out of 160 dvds. I hope criterion are keeping a close look at the market and perhaps try a low price window (say a month) to see the demand - I think they will be amazed at the sales figures!

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
i will celebrate my birthday on march 4th with a screening of heavyweights, hopefully in widescreen.
i hope we'll get schindler's list at year's end, as well as a great catch me if you can dvd.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Pan and Scan will out number widescreen releases
DVD price drops to $9.95
10 different versions of 'Lord of the Rings - Part Two'
Disney will release their remaining animated films with the banner "Will not be released again for 10 years" to cash in on DVD before HDVD starts up.
Warner will remaster/release many existing titles while
their vast vault remains untouched.
Fox will re-release more titles in Pan and Scan format
Home theater members will switch to the HDVD format by year end - so all of the above will be meaningless.
DVD was just a stepping stone - we all knew that going in.
:D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
well, I am looking forward to own Sunrise ofcourse, thanks to Patrick for keeping the interest alive.

Others will be the Fox Classics and Charlie Chaplins that are coming out

The most important dvd I will be buying is Once Upon a Time in America, rumored for July R2 with commentary by James Woods, Deniro and Pesci. So let's hope that this version also comes to r1

Oscar

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Top Gun S.E. ANAMORPHIC
Titanic S.E. ANAMORPHIC
won't hold my breath on it.
Probably more Box sets like Spidermans and LOTR.
The End f D-VHS.
More Fullscreen DVD's at Blockbusters. (Becuase they are idiots)
Last prediction is I will buy more DVD's! :)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Safe bets:
I predict that several more obscure cult film faves, unexpected by even their most fervent fans, will see release on R1 DVD in definitive (or near-definitive) editions from the smaller independent DVD companies. Maybe even a couple from the majors.
No matter what Disney/Miramax decides to release from their catalog, SHALL WE DANCE? (1996-Japanese) and SONG OF THE SOUTH will not be among that number.
Release of vintage titles from the majors will modestly increase, though several "no-brainers" will still be MIA by the end of 2003 (due either to restoration issues, or convoluted marketing schemes). Much of what is released will look incredible. I also predict that the best of these still won't please some fans.
Universal will commit at least one more major DVD marketing blunder in 2003, if not five. And we'll still not see individual releases of those ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS discs that were irrationally packaged with Universal's Hitchcock movie box sets.
Toho will continue to deny release of Region 1 DVDs containing bilingual OAR versions of all live-action sci-fi/monster films they've made between 1954 and 2002.
Artisan and Columbia will release more non-OAR editions of catalog titles that appeal mainly to OAR enthusiasts. Other studios probably will, too.
Paramount will drop the price point of several older releases, but the BARBARELLA DVD will remain at the MSRP it's always had.
Another paper-based form of cheap DVD packaging will emerge to annoy a substantial number of us.
No WKRP or SCTV on DVD in '03. :frowning:
All studios will continue with their policy of not bothering to include a brief, simple "Why widescreen?" demo on their widescreen releases. J6P (and more of them, after this Christmas) will continue to wonder why their DVD players/DVDs are "broken", when faced with "those ugly black bars". Ergo, steadily more p&s-only releases will creep in :angry:, though they won't dominate... yet...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Craig_T, you're all full of cheer and sunshine, aren't you?:D
I see Raiders of the Lost Arc coming out in Q4 of 2003, as the start of hype for Indy 4.
Temple of Doom comes out Q4 2004, with a genuine teaser trailer for Indy 4, with Last Crusade coming out right around the time Indy 4 is released to theaters.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Ok, here's optimisim.
Indy trilogy
Star Wars trilogy
Top Gun SE
Psycho and Vertigo Anamorphic
Return to Oz SE
Schindler's List
Happy Gilmore OAR
Batman SE
Dr. Giggles OAR SE
:D
And that I get a girlfriend.......oh, I guess that's not a DVD prediction.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
My predictions:

-The "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Extended Edition" set will blow the FOTR EE completely out of the water;

-We'll get 2-disc SEs of more classic WB catalog titles (The Adventures of Robin Hood, King Kong, and possibly titles like Giant, Where Eagles Dare, or Dial M For Murder);

-Disney will release more P&S family titles, and Columbia and Artisan will still release P&S discs of films not geared at the average filmgoer;

-Fox will either come to their senses and release Sunrise in stores, or not;

-We may get the Indy trilogy at the end of the year, but still won't get the SW trilogy (and people like me will still say that there's no chance that they will come before 2006);

-HTF members will continue to complain about the lack of WB classics and catalog titles on DVD, even though all the titles they release are definitely worth the wait;

And finally...

-The release of the Chaplin films on DVD will hopefully cause the major studios to release their catalogs of silent films on DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I predict the first artificial letterboxing of a classic 1.33:1 academy ratio film to appease wide screen television owners.

Nuno_Jason

Auditioning
I predict that all the old forgotten 60's and 70's television shows will take first priority over newer shows (Seinfeld, Frasier) to come in entire season box sets. All the studios will dig through the vaults for something as obscure and old as the sci-fi marionnation show "Space Patrol" to the Logan's Run television series to the rest of the whole Sid and Marty Krofft catalogue to old cartoon classics like Deputy Dawg, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Yogi Bear, Space Nut, Underdog (ALL UNCUT AND ALL AS ORIGINALLY BROADCAST). THe DVD buying public will come to their senses and set aside all the hot flash in the pan movies and box sets (Black Hawk Down, Spider-Man, Seinfeld, Frasier) and realize that the old rare television shows and movies is where it's at and their preservation is more important than sitting down to drivel at the second season of "Mad About You" All the demand will insure that every tv show in existence will finally be realized on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks