What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What are your absolute favorite soundtrack TRACKS? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

nkans01

Auditioning
Real Name
Eugene Nkansa-Dwamena
New mixtape by phenomenal artist Nero J listen on Sound cloud https://m.soundcloud.com/nero-jay/sets/the-back-roads-mixtape or type in "Nero J" available on i-tunes, Spotify and all formats.

IMG_20180310_221012.jpg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'll pick one from my favorite soundtracks.

Star Wars: Princess Leia's theme
Witness: Building the Barn
Conan: Main Title
Star Trek TMP: The Enterprise
Super 8: Letting Go
E.T.: The Departure
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: Slave Children Crusade
Best Years of Our Lives: Homer Goes Upstairs
Cinema Paradiso: Maturity
Last of the Mohicans: Fort Battle
Fellowship of the Ring: Concerning Hobbits
Twilight Zone: The Movie: Jerry Goldsmith /Young Again/Take Me With You/A New Guest (Kick the Can)
Planet of the Apes (1968) No Escape
Executive Decision: The Ramora

I could go on and on; these are just ones that came to mind. Favorite: Princess Leia's theme.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Before soundtracks became more readily available starting about 20 years ago, I used to enjoy the suites that Eric Kunzel from The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra would put together. He had a special relationship with John Williams and would get the arrangements he used for his films. This is from the 1987 album Star Tracks II. It is from the film Spacecamp. While not used for the main theme, it is a gorgeous piece of music. Perhaps my favorite from John Williams. I still play this today after owning the complete score.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Here are a handful of my absolute favorite tracks from scores:

A Coward No Longer - By James Horner (The Four Feathers)
The Asteroid Field - By John Williams (Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)
Battle in the Mutara Nebula - By James Horner (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)
Storming New Caprica - By Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica Season Three)
Prelude to War - By Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica Season Two)
End Titles - By Vangelis (Blade Runner)
Resolution and Hyperspace - By James Horner (Aliens)
Main Title - By Jerry Goldsmith (Alien)
Silence - By Hans Zimmer (The Thin Red Line)
Gabrielle - By Miklós Rózsa (The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes)
Dance for Me Wallis - By Abel Korzeniowski (W./E.)

There are more that make my all-time favorites, but these were the ones that most readily came to mind.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Scarface soundtrack - everything produced by Giorgio Moroder

Terminator 1 - songs by Trianglz (Burnin in the Third Degree, Photoplay, You Can't Do That)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would agree with many of the John Williams ones already mentioned above, but my absolute favorite of his, ever, is obviously Hedwig's Theme for Harry Potter. Because Harry Potter was my childhood franchise, I'm more emotionally attached to it than to his Star Wars and E.T. work (although that stuff is all terrific too, obviously.)

Dario Marianelli's score for Kubo and the Two Strings is a work of genius. (Actually, the whole film is, too.) But I think my very favorite cue is the end:

He also wrote a great score for Paddington 2, my favorite of which is "Windsor Gardens" near the beginning of the film:

I think his score for Hugo is Howard Shore's masterpiece, and my favorite bit is the opening sequence, which is jut stunning in how the music is so critical to establishing the world of the film and inviting you inside.

In my opinion, Michael Giacchino's best work ever is Inside Out, and the highlight track is "We Can Still Stop Her," when the movie's climax kicks into high gear as Joy and Sadness realize Riley is running away.

Thomas Newman's scores for Finding Nemo and Dory are both exquisite, but my favorite cue is the main title for Dory, paired with that heart-wrenching sequence of Dory being lost in the ocean. It gets me every time whether I'm watching the film or just listening to the CD.

Also, I love the opening music for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by James Newton Howard -- not just the reprise of Williams' iconic Hedwig's Theme, but also all that follows:

Also, here's one that most people probably wouldn't leap to: James Hornr's score for The Amazing Spider-Man is absolutely terrific work, and the "Rooftop Kiss" cue is absolutely beautiful. The film itself is powered mostly by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's performances, and stumbles when it's trying to do stuff that Sam Raimi already did ten years earlier, but the music is one area in which it can't be faulted -- which makes it ironic and sad that Horner didn't return for the sequel (although the sequel was so bad, maybe it was better for him not to waste his time.)

Speaking of Spider-Man, I geeked out so much when this played over the Marvel logo for Homecoming:

I also love the soundtrack for Phantom Thread beyond belief -- it's ridiculous to me that it didn't win Best Original Score for Johnny Greenwood -- but I'm having trouble picking a single track for it. Ditto for Pan's Labyyrinth, which is just awesome.

Also, if we're counting soundtrack tracks that are vocal songs, "Belle" and "Circle of Life" are the best opening numbers ever in cinema history.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
"The Battle of Yavin (Launch From The Fourth Moon/X-Wings Draw Fire/Use The Force)" -- Star Wars Episode IV: "A New Hope" (John Williams)
"Blade Runner (End Title)" -- Blade Runner (Vangelis)
"Bishop's Countdown" -- Aliens (James Horner)
"Farewell and The Tower" -- Vertigo (Bernard Herrmann)
"Abrahams' Theme" -- Charriots of Fire (Vangelis)
"The Bomb Detonates" -- 24 Volume 1 (Sean Callery)
"Overture" -- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Cliff Eidelman)
"Runaway Horses ('Poetry Written With a Splash of Blood')" -- Mishima (Philip Glass)
"Escape to India" -- Kundun (Philip Glass)
"Resolution and End Title" -- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (John Williams)
"Planet Sakarr" -- Thor Raganarok (Mark Mothersbaugh)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
"The Final Game" - Rudy (Jerry Goldsmith)
"Underwater Mayhem/Death Of Largo/End Titles" - Thunderball (John Barry)
"Overture" - Ben-Hur (Miklos Rozsa)
"Overture" - Mutiny on the Bounty (Bronislau Kaper)
"The Necklace/Return/Finale" - Vertigo (Bernard Herrmann)
"The Creation" - Bride of Frankenstein (Franz Waxman)
"End Title" - The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Bernard Herrmann)

Last edited:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Here are some of my favorite tracks - all from the 1980s

Aliens - Bishops Countdown
Batman - Descent into Mystery
Beetlejuice - The Incantation
Blade Runner - End Titles
The Burbs - End Titles
Cat People (1982) - Irena's Theme
Cocoon - End Theme
Conan the Barbarian - Riders of Doom
Dune - Prophecy Theme
The Empire Strikes Back - End Title
ET the Extraterrestrial - Escape - Chase
The Final Conflict - The Hunt
Ghostbusters - Dana's Theme
Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom - End Credits
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - End Credits
Ladyhawke - Main Title
Legend (1985) - The Ring
Lifeforce - Main theme
The Living Daylights - Into Vienna
The Neverending Story - Ivory Tower
Return of the Jedi - Luke and Leia
The Right Stuff - End Credits
Star Trek II - End Title
Star Trek V - The Mountain
Twilight Zone The Movie - Kick the Can
Under Fire - Rafael
The Witches of Eastwick - The Seduction of Suki
Young Sherlock Holmes - End Credits

FWIW I have collected thousands of soundtracks over the years and my favorite composer is Jerry Goldsmith.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Before soundtracks became more readily available starting about 20 years ago, I used to enjoy the suites that Eric Kunzel from The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra would put together. He had a special relationship with John Williams and would get the arrangements he used for his films. This is from the 1987 album Star Tracks II. It is from the film Spacecamp. While not used for the main theme, it is a gorgeous piece of music. Perhaps my favorite from John Williams. I still play this today after owning the complete score.

Listening now. Thank you sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks