What's new

What Are the Best Horror SEQUELS? (1 Viewer)

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Ignoring the "original" horror films for now, what are the best horror sequels? (And I don't mean remakes, unless there is a numeral at the end of the title)
Here's a few I like:
- Bride of Frankenstein - IMO, better and more memorable than the original
- Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn - although the basic plot is more like a remake than a sequel, this is a major improvement on the original
- Exorcist 3 - not as good as the first film (which it really has little in common with) and vastly better than the second (which it completely ignores), this is an underappreciated horror film
- Aliens - although more of an action film than a horror film, this is one of the better sequels of any genre around (but I still think the original is superior)
Any others?
------------------
"It is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions." - T. H. Huxley

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
"DAWN of the DEAD" More of a continuation than actual sequel.
"Dr. PHIBES RISES AGAIN" You gotta love it-"PHIBES!!"
"PSYCHO II" & "III"
"THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2" Avoid the rest.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Dawn of the Dead-Hands down the best horror sequel ever. In my opinion the best horror movie ever. Such a shame that Day of the Dead got screwed so badly or that may have topped it.
Evil Dead 2:Dead by DawnWhat a great movie. Better than the original and one of my personal faves.
------------------
Sorry about the previous Sig.
"Hell hath no fury like a womens scorn for sega."-Brodie Bruce
South Park season-by-season Again on DVD.
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD

Greg K

Second Unit
The Fly II sucks...but it contains part of a deleted scene from the first film (Goldblum on tape), so that ain't bad. My favorite horror sequels include:
Aliens
uhhh...that's about it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
My favorite horror sequels are as follows:
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead (Just as good as Dawn in my opinion!)
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (No Meyers, but this film rules!)
Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
Army of Darkness
Bride of Re-Animator
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Predator 2
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
Phantasm 2 & 3

Hubert

Second Unit
WOW! I considered Halloween III one of the worst sequels in the motion picture history. Oh well, to each his own. I liked Aliens, if it can be classified as a horror movie. I also like Halloween II.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Just one that I can think of--Army of Darkness.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Bride of Frankenstein - The mother of all horror sequels.
Son of Frankenstein - Not as great as Bride but stil pretty good.
Dawn of the Dead - Better than the original
Aliens - If you count this as horror. The original is superior though.
Brides of Dracula - Great follow up to Horror of Dracula. Peter Cushing hunts down Dracula's minions.
Revenge of Frankenstein - Hammer classic which continues the adventures of our favorite Doc (Peter Cushing)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
A few........
Friday the 13th:part 6 Jason Lives-the best sequel in the entire series. Has all the wit,style, & energy the others missed out on,making it one wild ride.
Return of the Living Dead 3- great tragic love story. + a good departure from the horror comedy of the first two,making this a unique film. The original rules as well of course & ids far better,but this is the best sequel :)
Evil Dead 2 & Army of Darkness what can i say? Just awsome!!
Dawn of the Dead- the greatest horror movie/ sequel ever made. It's a classic that i never get sick of.
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3:The Dream Warriors- creepy,dark. extremely entertaining & imaginative with a dark sense of humor,before Freddy became an all out comic & the series lost it's scares.
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2:Freddy's Revenge- very underrated,but good sequel. The last of the dark Freddy,with no one liners ect results in a serious film dealing with teen angst & also has a huge amount of(supposedly unintentional) homoerotism making this a one of a kind horror film.
Phantasm 2- delivers big on action/horror/comedy & what the hell is going on?!!! Still does'nt make sense,but thats part of the fun + creepiness of it. The best sequel.That is more entertaining than the first(which is stil great). Reggie is awsome & it's to bad the series went downhill after this. Part 3 isn't bad,just not memorable & 4 was dull & very disapointing.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2: vastly underated & mis-understood horror sequel. Rather than trying to outdo the original in intensity & relelntless horror. This went the opposite(+ smart) way since i'm sure Hooper knew he could'nt make the same film as the original without it coming out as to polished,unscary & probably boring. So he made a hilarious & gruesome satire on the american dream & family values instead.
Thats all i could think of for now...though there may be a few more......

Brad_W

Screenwriter
My horror movie sequel faves are:
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Friday the 13th part 6
Friday the 13th part 7
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3
A Nightmare On Elm Street 4
A Nightmare On Elm Street 5
Exorcist 3
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on November 15, 2001 at 07:07 AM]

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I have to cast my votes for the following: (I wanted to try for a few films that had not already been mentioned.)
Friday the 13th: Part 2
Friday the 13th Part Seven: The New Blood
Bride of Chucky (all props given to Ms. Tilly...she made the film)
Alien3 (if only the studio wouldn't have screwed with this movie, I think that more people would agree)
Pyscho 2 (though it does lack the master's touch, it is a good follow-up)
Halloween:H2O (much debated movie over it's value, but for me, Michael ended with this one. Was very happy with Jamie Lee Curtis and no complaints other than it was too damn short!)
Exorcist3 (again, if the studio would not have butted in, would have been great to see what we would have gotten)
Grease 2 (if this doesn't count as a horror movie I don't know what else will :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for Wes Craven's New Nightmare (a great way to revitalize a tired and wayward series) and Halloween H20 (ditto).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright here we go...
Dawn of the Dead A true horror masterpiece! Christina, you may not get sick OF it, but one can get sick FROM it! :)
Day of the Dead A nightmare of a film! And what can you say about a film that show's without blinking someone's head being pulled off and someone getting torn in half while zombies pull out his entrails for breakfast!
yum.gif

Phantasm II The Tall man rules BOOOOOYYYY!!
Childs Play 2 This film gets alot of milege from Kevin Yahger' new Chucky design, and a pretty suspensful conclusion.
Halloween II Top the original masterpiece!? They gave it the ol college try, and it payed off.
Friday the 13th part VI Jason Lives As Christina said, it has the best style of the series, and it really creates an eerie atmosphere. Plus it has the best Jason of the series IMHO, Kane Hodder's cool don't get me wrong, but C.J. Graham is just a bad MO FO!!
Evil Dead II Ash for president! Hey, the guy fought demons without breaking a sweat, he'd make hamburger meat out of that pussy bin Laden!
Amityville Horror II Just plain spooky!
I'm sure they're are other's, BEWARE!
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!
[Edited last by John Williamson on November 15, 2001 at 12:48 PM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on November 15, 2001 at 02:15 PM]

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Completely forget about Amity 2....way, way, way better than the original.....and those waste of films that followed...YUCK!

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, i was tired whehn i got home from work earlier. Theres tons of films i forgot since i haven't seen them in along time.
Psycho 2 was great & just as good & even better on the suspense level than the orginal. It should've ended here & the other two sequels where just let downs.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Dawn of the Dead & Bride of Frankenstein are the two best. With Bride surpassing the original and Dawn almost equalling it.
Others,
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness
Day of the Dead
New Nightmare
Nightmare 3 - At least it was my favorite in high school, but haven't seen it in at least 12 years.
My fav Friday sequel is part IV. It had the best fx since they used Savini, and it also had Corey Feldman! I thought III, V, VI were basically unwatchable.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks