What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The fact that it's probably too late now to fill up my gas tank or get any more bottled water before Matthew hits. I just hope we have enough toilet paper!

Also the infinitesimal chance that my old generator would fire up at all even if I had any gas for it. . .

Yikes. I hope things go well with no issues other than some wind and rain. Wish you the best, but Mother Nature can be a bitch at times.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Stay safe Aaron.

Chicken houses (of which there are many nearby) annoy me. The weather is finally nice with temps in the eighties and low humidity but I can't leave the windows open because the whole town smells like death and poop.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Stay safe Aaron.

Chicken houses (of which there are many nearby) annoy me. The weather is finally nice with temps in the eighties and low humidity but I can't leave the windows open because the whole town smells like death and poop.
Reminds me of something I did as a kid, to this day probably the grossest thing I've ever done. My father was into gardening and we had a little Ford Courier pick-up truck. Drove to a chicken farm and filled the entire bed with chicken shit. Basically greenish/yellow diarrhea. Just back the truck up, they open some trap door mechanism and out it flows. Then drove home and I got to spread it over the garden and shovel it in. Never again.:eek:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This morning I discovered I am uber annoyed at people when they stop on the walking track and stand there in everyone's way texting, oblivious to the fact they have become human cholesterol.

Oh yes, those people come out near the top of the list. I almost just want to body-slam them, "Oops, didn't expect to see somebody standing in the walking track". Ugh...

Surprisingly most people are quite nice, but there's always that small percentage of ignorant, self-absorbed twits that really need to be removed. Hopefully Darwin kicks in and they eliminate themselves :laugh:

We've had a lot of "texting" crashes in my area the past few years. The drivers quite often don't survive, but they hurt a lot of innocent people in the process. Nothing on your phone is that important, especially when you're flying down the highway at 65 mph and cross the center-line.

Okay, done preaching ^_^

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm annoyed that I have fingers but I've never seen them fing!
:unsure:

Cute. Never heard the word "fing", but a little research and I'm caught up.

Those damn millennials with the gosh darn new-fangled words. Dadgummit, I refuse to give up (spoken in my best Walter Brennan accent) :cool:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
"Yeah? Lawsuit? Oh, come on. My "Seven Words You Can't Say on TV" bit was entirely different from your "Seven Words You Can't Say on TV" bit. So I'm a thief, am I? Well, EXCUUUUUUUUSE MEEEEEE!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
First world annoyance: when the bread you want to toast is too wide for the toaster. You either have to cut it, or squish it down into the slots.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
First world annoyance: when the bread you want to toast is too wide for the toaster. You either have to cut it, or squish it down into the slots.

A nice solution to that is to have a good old fashioned temper tantrum.

I took mine out on Friday, swung it around by the cord, tossed it up as high as I could in the air and watched it smash into pieces when it hit the sidewalk. Ridiculous and childish, but I felt much better afterwards.:rolling-smiley:

It was a cheapo Sunbeam, only $22. Figured a toaster is a toaster, but they found a way to screw it up. I'll be getting another, much more high end toaster in the future. Normally read the labels, but discovered this after the destruction. It was naturally made in the shockingly ridiculous place called "China". No wonder it was a piece of ****.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
We bought our first toaster oven at least 20 years ago, we have never looked back.

The Sunbeam lasted about eight months. I used to have a wonderful toaster, probably 30 years old, but somehow vanished during a move. I'm going shopping this week to find a replacement, but it will probably be more than $22, not making that mistake again.

Going to do some research, kind of like buying a car, but I want this to be the last toaster I ever purchase. This toaster thing is serious business :rock:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I've ever owned a toaster, and I don't recall my parents owning one either. Toaster ovens all the way!

I've been using my toaster oven, but it only browns the top of the bread, the underside is barely warmed. It was also some cheapo brand called Euro-Pro. No more, I'm just going to spend the money and get higher quality products.

Even my microwave with a turntable is junk. Turntable doesn't help at all. One section will be burned, another one just right and another portion still frozen rock hard. What's the point of having a turntable? It's good for two things, popcorn and reheating a cup of coffee. Other than that it just takes up space on the counter. It may go into the recycle bin this week. Very close to what Alton Brown calls a "unitasker", not worth the trouble.

Have a really good coffee maker. Put in fresh beans and the water. Set the timer and it grinds the beans, brews the coffee and it's ready whenever you get up. Only problem is the grinder sounds like a jet engine that could wake the entire neighborhood. That definitely qualifies as annoying. No need to set an alarm clock, just wait for the 747 to fly through my kitchen.

Why can't these small appliances be user friendly and make our lives more pleasant? ^_^

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've been using my toaster oven, but it only browns the top of the bread, the underside is barely warmed.

Yeah, I don't really see a toaster oven as a replacement for a toaster. They tried to get us to do that in my office after the toaster broke. Seems like a lot of time and energy wasted trying to toast bread. I finally bought a like-new looking toaster at Goodwill for $6 and brought it to the office.

I've always thought of the toaster oven as a substitute for the regular oven, if you're making hot pockets or small pizzas, etc. Rather than heating up the regular oven, just toss them into the toaster oven. But I wouldn't use one to toast bread.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I gave up toasters and toaster ovens and put anything I can in an electric grill. I started doing this with a small George Foreman and then upgraded to a Cuisinart Griddler. It is especially good with hash brown patties, but does great with toast, quesadillas and burritos. Sometimes it seems a little overkill in terms of the heat up time, but the results are much more consistent than I ever got with a toaster or toaster oven. And I only have one device instead of two.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We buy the best quality largest toaster ovens we can find. We use them for everything and rarely use the large oven except for turkey or baking deserts. I make perfect toast every morning with it.
I don't think I have owned a pop up toaster for 50 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks