What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Had to go in for blood work and an ECG this morning. Back surgery Tuesday, scheduled almost two months ago. They call last Friday, saying I need these things done. Of course the lab is closed on the weekends, so I go today, 24 hours before the surgery. Really? Two months to prep for this and they wait until almost the last minute.

They also wanted to test for MRSA, (Methicillin resistant Staphyloccus aureus). My favorite word is "Sternocleidomastoid". Yes I'm a medical nerd, remembered this stuff from anatomy classes. The MRSA test takes a special Pre-Surgical Nurse, and the results take two days :eek: Kind of pointless at this time and they forgot to do it anyway! Left me a voicemail saying basically "Oops". Called the surgeon's office and they said don't worry about it.

This is a huge hospital, Level II Trauma Center. If they hose up the anesthesia and you don't hear from me again, it's been wonderful being a member of HTF. :mellow:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Hope everything goes well with your surgery, Stan. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

I was cleaning out my closet and found some cassettes that I bought when they first came out in the early 80s. I'm annoyed that I can't read the lyrics printed inside my copy of Hall and Oates' Big Bang Boom anymore. The print is so tiny. After 30 some years, they still play quite well, though one did slow down a bit during one song.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was cleaning out my closet and found some cassettes that I bought when they first came out in the early 80s. I'm annoyed that I can't read the lyrics printed inside my copy of Hall and Oates' Big Bang Boom anymore. The print is so tiny. After 30 some years, they still play quite well, though one did slow down a bit during one song.
But Ron, to paraphrase one of that Album's song titles, "Some things are better left unread!" ;)

Seriously though, you're tearing down our "old" go to standby line that the fonts are so much smaller these days! :D Reading album and cassette lyrics was a one time favorite pastime of mine, that at least for the latter, is probably clearly (?) in the rear-view mirror of my past! Thank goodness for the internet and (largely :blink:) adjustable font / screen text sizes!

CHEERS! :)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Kids today don't realize how easy they have it, almost everything is just a mouse click away! Want to know the lyrics to a song, Google it. Miss an episode of your favourite TV show, watch it online. When we were kids, if you missed it, you had to wait months or more for it to be re-aired. They don't know what it was like to live before modern technology. Maybe I appreciate the internet more because I knew what life was like before it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oh, I've got a beef that's way beyond f*cking annoying!

My wife and I live in a rental unit. One of the things we sometimes have to put up with are occasional home inspection visits, smoke alarm checks, and the like. These are prearranged, and we have no say regarding the day and time, the latter of which is never fixed. Generally, this means a single day that one of us makes sure to be home. Inevitably of course, these things seem to crop up whenever we've made some sort of plans that then have to be changed. We will simply NOT leave our House unattended while other people are in it, REGARDLESS of the reason! Besides, we do have a cat.

That said, there is an additional aspect of this particular upcoming inspection that really has me peeved; for this doesn't involve just one, two or three, but FOUR (Wednesday, September 28th, 29th, 30th, and October 5th, 2016!) different days! Worse still, the way the notice is worded, it appears to be an AND, rather than an OR situation!

Does anyone know whether multiple day Energy Audits are a normal practice for residences? Four days seems highly irregular, but perhaps the hired company is doing comparison readings? Either that, or I'm hoping the notice is just poorly worded!

UGH! :P

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This must be a Canada thing. I don't rent but none of my friends who rent have ever talked about required inspections or audits of rental properties or apartments.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Annoying:

Some folks (not all) in our black community. Due to the recent shooting of an unarmed black man here in Tulsa and all the news coverage it's getting, it has the community stirred up. Now I see on our local news that a carload of thugs pulled up to an ambulance that is stationed at a local gas station (they park there to speed up call times to emergencies) and the thugs asked the ambulance workers what they thought of the shooting case. The workers replied that they are just there to assist people that are hurt etc. So the carload of folks decided to scream and yell and threaten the ambulance folks.

Now the ambulance folks are having to park elsewhere for their safety.

IDIOT PEOPLE!!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This must be a Canada thing. I don't rent but none of my friends who rent have ever talked about required inspections or audits of rental properties or apartments.
Basically, it's up to the Landlord to decide who gets hired to do whatever, just as it's up to the Homeowner. In our case, whenever something needs to be done, we are informed about it in writing. Regarding anything that necessitates the entering of premises, the only thing the Landlord has to do in our province is provide 24 hours written notice. Unfortunately for us, one thing our Landlord has made very clear is their inflexibility in changing whatever dates to suit individual tenants - That's when they give us the "you're not required to be home" spiel! :rolleyes:

Our province has seen a lot of changes in terms of how our Hydro is charged over the past few years. My guess is it's the latest round of changes in our region that have triggered these upcoming Energy Audits for our units.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Annoying:

Some folks (not all) in our black community. Due to the recent shooting of an unarmed black man here in Tulsa and all the news coverage it's getting, it has the community stirred up. Now I see on our local news that a carload of thugs pulled up to an ambulance that is stationed at a local gas station (they park there to speed up call times to emergencies) and the thugs asked the ambulance workers what they thought of the shooting case. The workers replied that they are just there to assist people that are hurt etc. So the carload of folks decided to scream and yell and threaten the ambulance folks.

Now the ambulance folks are having to park elsewhere for their safety.

IDIOT PEOPLE!!
Alfie, off subject, but my son just moved to the Tulsa area (Broken Arrow) in June. He worked at QuikTrip as a clerk during college and they hired him as a Graphic Designer at their corporate office shortly after he graduated. He loves the Tulsa area.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Yeah it's nice and we love Broken Arrow. I just hate the HEAT AND HUMIDITY!

:)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Does anyone know whether multiple day Energy Audits are a normal practice for residences?

Several years ago (geez, maybe it's been 5 or 6 years now... time flies!) we had an extensive energy audit performed at our house. They did the full deal - thermal imaging around windows and doors, interior and exterior weatherstripping/caulking evaluation, basement/foundation exam to look for drafts. They even tested our A/C and heating ducts for leaks by sealing all the registers except for one at each end and then pressurizing the system (or something to that effect). They also sealed the house and had a fan contraption on the front door to blow air in to measure leaks.

It was fascinating to watch.

With all of that on the docket, the process was completed in a day. It was several hours, and there was a team of people, but it was easily accomplished in a day.

The results of the energy audit revealed steps that we ultimately took to improve our energy efficiency - but those projects, of course, weren't identified or scheduled until after the energy audit report was compiled.

I would clarify with your landlord what, specifically, is going to happen with this energy audit (perhaps he can provide the name of the company providing the service, and you can contact them directly?). I can't imagine a single audit taking 4 days.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Several years ago (geez, maybe it's been 5 or 6 years now... time flies!) we had an extensive energy audit performed at our house. They did the full deal - thermal imaging around windows and doors, interior and exterior weatherstripping/caulking evaluation, basement/foundation exam to look for drafts. They even tested our A/C and heating ducts for leaks by sealing all the registers except for one at each end and then pressurizing the system (or something to that effect). They also sealed the house and had a fan contraption on the front door to blow air in to measure leaks.

It was fascinating to watch.

With all of that on the docket, the process was completed in a day. It was several hours, and there was a team of people, but it was easily accomplished in a day.

The results of the energy audit revealed steps that we ultimately took to improve our energy efficiency - but those projects, of course, weren't identified or scheduled until after the energy audit report was compiled.

I would clarify with your landlord what, specifically, is going to happen with this energy audit (perhaps he can provide the name of the company providing the service, and you can contact them directly?). I can't imagine a single audit taking 4 days.
As it turns out, it will be 1 day. That part of our notice was poorly written, as I had suspected. The name of the company has been disclosed, so no issues there!

The only downside is because so many units are involved, our energy audit could be done on any single 1 of the 4 days that are listed on the notice, but which day is anyone's guess. That in itself is a potentially huge PITA, but what can one do?

Last edited:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron

In California, houses used for Section 8 renters are inspected annually. They inspect the building and they look for personal items belonging to people not authorized to live there.

I hate that my right earbud gave out last night. Try listening to Eleanor Rigby and hearing everything but Paul's lead vocals.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Maybe it's different in Canada, but in the US I am pretty sure that a landlord is not allowed to enter an occupied unit without the resident's permission, except in the most extreme circumstances.

I can see them asking, out of courtesy, due to having the energy company out on certain dates, but making a habit of showing up and entering without giving you a choice? I don't think so.

Do you live in a regular unit, or is it a special case?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Maybe it's different in Canada, but in the US I am pretty sure that a landlord is not allowed to enter an occupied unit without the resident's permission, except in the most extreme circumstances.

I can see them asking, out of courtesy, due to having the energy company out on certain dates, but making a habit of showing up and entering without giving you a choice? I don't think so.

Do you live in a regular unit, or is it a special case?
As I've already stated, at least 24 hours notice is always provided, as per the laws of the Tenancy Act where we live. Regarding as to if / when / how this is exercised I believe is a "your mileage might vary" from landlord to landlord situation.

Insofar as my own specific circumstance, I'd rather keep that private! It is what it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks