What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I think I originally brought up the stupid sign issue and totally agree with you. Has anyone ever driven safely because of “drive safely” signs. I always say to my wife when we see something like that, “lucky I saw that sign, because I was going to drive recklessly”!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No one is EVER going to be moved to wear a face mask because they drive down a highway and see a sign that says "Don't be a turkey. Wear a mask." You know it, I know it, and the American people know it.
I’ll drop this too, after I reply. I don’t know it and I don’t know that the American people know it. You shouldn’t make assumptions you can’t support. Jeez, that comment reminds of someone who used say that very thing a lot. I understand he’s going to be evicted from his current residence soon.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Assumptions I can't support? It's called an opinion. And my opinion is that people have already decided where they fall on wearing face masks and that anyone who s driving/riding down a highway and sees a goofy sign telling them to wear a mask isn't going to have their mind changed one way or another.

I'm not advocating one way or another here as to whether anyone should/shouldn't wear a mask in public. Farthest thing from it.

If you are referring to the " You know it, I know it, and the American people know it." reference, I just lifted it from Dan Ackroyd when he was playing then-presidential candidate Bob Dole back in 1996. It has taken on a mainstream use since then (like many SNL catchphrases) as an expression meaning that there's no fooling ourselves about something.

Please note, Johnny, that my point of all this has nothing to do with mask-wearing, but all about thinking public opinion can be swayed by low-rent attempts at advertising on these traffic signs--qualifying as mis-use of public funds.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This has probably already been mentioned here, but internet articles with obvious misspelled words. Does nobody proof read before these articles are posted? It makes people look bad and sloppy. I just read where 10 platers tested positive for COVID, which has affected the Ravens/Steelers game. What’s a plater?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This has probably already been mentioned here, but internet articles with obvious misspelled words. Does nobody proof read before these articles are posted? It makes people look bad and sloppy. I just read where 10 platers tested positive for COVID, which has affected the Ravens/Steelers game. What’s a plater?
Yeah, Im gld I don’t du that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's no such thing as editing or proof-reading these days. Articles on the local newspaper and broadcast news web sites are always full of mistakes. Especially sad when modern software nearly always includes spell check and grammar check functions.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There's no such thing as editing or proof-reading these days. Articles on the local newspaper and broadcast news web sites are always full of mistakes. Especially sad when modern software nearly always includes spell check and grammar check functions.

Also books too, especially if the editors and proofreaders are not very professional. Frequently the corrections have to be incorporated into a second or third printing.

Sometimes publishers are too lazy to even incorporate the corrections into later book printings, and just publish again the same unabridged draft as the first printing.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Does nobody proof read before these articles are posted?

No.

One of the local news stations posted a daily COVID update the other night. The "status" part said there were zero new outbreaks that day, but the headline said there were four new outbreaks (or maybe the other way around). All of the comments were confused readers, trying to figure out which number was accurate.

The sad part is that they don't care. Because if you comment on the story to point out the error, you commented, and that's all they care about.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Our local TV station is seen as a great place to get experience before applying to the much more lucrative stations in Toronto. Because of this, we get a parade of beautiful people reading the news, who have no background here and no intention of staying here. Consequently, they pronounce every street and place name incorrectly!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Our local TV station is seen as a great place to get experience before applying to the much more lucrative stations in Toronto. Because of this, we get a parade of beautiful people reading the news, who have no background here and no intention of staying here. Consequently, they pronounce every street and place name incorrectly!

On the opposite extreme, are the "lifers" on local news in the smaller regional stations which speak in a heavy accent that only the locals in the region would understand. Nobody else would hire them in the bigger city stations or the worldwide news channels (ie. cnn, bbc, etc ...), due to the fact that they don't speak in a "neutral" or upper class "received" accent.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I worked at the local TV station here for over 20 years (as a director). It's exactly the same thing here in most departments, especially in news. People think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread yet can barely read a story properly, much less write properly (one of their best writers, a guy I went to college with, left to work for the local newspaper, is still there, and still can't write properly). I was a DJ for ~5 years before going into TV and, 40 years later, can still out read *any* of them *cold* (never having seen the script before). In production meetings I'd make the news "producers" mad when they'd ask for more moving graphics saying it'd increase viewership as I always countered with "People couldn't care less about fancy graphics. If you'd *write* better, and get more stories yourself instead of relying on the morning papers for ideas, you'd see far more viewers tuning in."

The pure amateurishness of the local TV news department still annoys me - and is the primary reason I do not watch them for any reason.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If you'd *write* better, and get more stories yourself instead of relying on the morning papers for ideas, you'd see far more viewers tuning in."

The pure amateurishness of the local TV news department still annoys me - and is the primary reason I do not watch them for any reason.

Do they even send out reporters to on-location live shots away from the main studio?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Do they even send out reporters to on-location live shots away from the main studio?
Yes, they do. Frequently. A few months back a tornado hit the main business area. The "reporters" they had on site, doing live reports, were almost unintelligible due to "regional" speaking patterns and inability to pronounce words properly. It was so bad it was embarrassing and I found myself thinking "If *this* is the best of the applicants then I wonder how bad the rest were?" It was like watching the local HS production classes - people who truly don't yet have a clue about how things should be done. They have an excuse at the HS as their teachers have never worked in the profession so are somewhat clueless themselves. The local station *should* be better but as it's a training ground they tend to get mostly clueless people who think they'll get rich in broadcasting because someone told them "You should be on TV!" Most last 6-12 months before moving on (the rare "good" one) or realizing it's not all it's cracked up to be and they don't stand a chance in larger markets.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
On the opposite extreme, are the "lifers" on local news in the smaller regional stations which speak in a heavy accent that only the locals in the region would understand. Nobody else would hire them in the bigger city stations or the worldwide news channels (ie. cnn, bbc, etc ...), due to the fact that they don't speak in a "neutral" or upper class "received" accent.
We have a long time local anchor here that is finally retiring, thank goodness. She doesn't speak with any accent, IMO, but she's constantly stammering and messing up words just trying to read from the teleprompter.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There is also the picture and sound variance you get because the announcers are still working from home. Most have corners set up with professional equipment and projected backgrounds, but sometimes when they are interviewing they are talking to people who appear to be on VHS, or my favourite, those who have the camera positioned so it looks like they are using a fish eye lense or so you can count all their nose hairs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks