What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That fact that I had a copy at one time of the L.A. Lakers 1984-1985 NBA World Championship Return to Glory DVD release from Warner Bros. (a.k.a. the Finals of that year, when the NBA was on CBS), and in that original copy, the fourth disc gave up the ghost on me (perhaps because I'd seen it so much, it was its time to wear out). I figured, I'll just get another copy to replace it (thinking perhaps that a fresh copy would allow me to enjoy it again); no such luck! The new copy acts just like the old one did (even though it's a new copy). Others have complained about it in one-star reviews on Amazon, so I know I'm not the only one having this trouble.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazing how the lights stop working. I remember as a kid that Dad and I would have to untangle light strands, and replace those big hot glass bulbs every year.
The 12 Pains of Christmas: "One light goes out, they all go out!" :D

I remember when mini-lights first came out when I was a kid. At that time, if one light failed, the whole string went out. So you'd get the tree all decorated, then a couple days later a bulb would burn out and whole string would fail and you'd have a big dark area on the tree. You had to get a spare bulb and try it in each and every socket to try and find the bad bulb without completely destroying the decorated tree. Without fail, it was almost always one of the last few you tried.

At least today, if a bulb goes out the rest remain lit so it's much easier to find the bad one.

I've been using mostly LED's for a few years now and haven't had any issues, nor many failed bulbs. I did buy a new string a couple weeks ago and found one bulb that was not working right out of the box, but I just replaced it with one of the included spares.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The 12 Pains Of Christmas- for whatever reason, SiriusXM isn’t playing that song this year. Funny song.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The 12 Pains of Christmas: "One light goes out, they all go out!" :D

I remember when mini-lights first came out when I was a kid. At that time, if one light failed, the whole string went out. So you'd get the tree all decorated, then a couple days later a bulb would burn out and whole string would fail and you'd have a big dark area on the tree. You had to get a spare bulb and try it in each and every socket to try and find the bad bulb without completely destroying the decorated tree. Without fail, it was almost always one of the last few you tried.

At least today, if a bulb goes out the rest remain lit so it's much easier to find the bad one.

I've been using mostly LED's for a few years now and haven't had any issues, nor many failed bulbs. I did buy a new string a couple weeks ago and found one bulb that was not working right out of the box, but I just replaced it with one of the included spares.
The testing and changing of light bulbs was always my job from the time I could do it (big pointy bulbs). They seemed to burn out every 5 seconds. We always had two sets of the regular bulbs and 2 sets of the one-burns-out-they-all-burn out. My parents had good jobs, why didn’t they throw out the crappy ones?!

Unfortunately just when I could have inflicted the job on my daughter they didn’t have that kind any more.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’ve never heard of that before. I assume someone thinks you’re going to vandalize something? The sad times we live in.
I think this has to do with Sr. discounts. Some stores and restaurants are very picky. During this pandemic we don’t see any one, so I have stopped dying my beard. I am getting rather Santa Clausian. I’ve found that people want to open doors for me and let me go first etc. When my beard is coloured, I have been asked to prove I am over 65. I take that as a compliment.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I’ve never heard of that before. I assume someone thinks you’re going to vandalize something? The sad times we live in.

Or worse, probably thinking you're gonna try to huff it like a lot of teens do nowadays (IINM).

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
My Christmas decorating woes are coming from the inflatables. We started this season with 9 in the yard.

But then the minion kept falling over. Not quite sure how, probably the ground was too soft.

Then our yard guys came to get the leaves out of the yard. (Really thought the plan was either get it before Thanksgiving or wait until January.) Well, several of the inflatables got tugged a bit, so I had to redo the stakes. One of the inflatables is a set of two ninja gingerbread men that I had between two trees. Due to the awkward design, I tie fishing line around their necks and attach the other ends to the trees to keep them upright and also help get them back into position whenever they are turned off and back on. Obviously the yard guys didn't see the fishing line and walked right through it. In the process, several of the loops on the bottom of the inflatable came off. So they had to come down until we can fix the loops.

Then the motor in Mickey Mouse got wrapped up with leaves. I brought it in to clean it up, and tried to add some more lights to the inside. Sometime during that process, the power supply craps out, so it won't inflate. Likewise, my Spider-Man inflatable stopped working during a heavy rain the other night. Again, power supply issue.

I go look up power supplies on Amazon, but most won't be delivered until late next week and cost about as much as some of the cheaper inflatables anyway. So I remember how I bought some $15 inflatables at Wal-mart, so I'll get one of those and strip it for parts. Except that those particular inflatables come with smaller power supplies that probably won't support the motors.

So I'm down to 6 inflatables, although maybe the ninjas will make it back up. At least after I rearranged them, the minion has been staying in place better. But now I've decided to move away from inflatables and start looking for more lights and rigid yard decorations.

I mean, I'll still have some inflatables, but I won't be hitting 9 anymore.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
1 year old strings of Christmas lights that only light up half the bulbs...
2 years ago I purchased all new lights for the inside tree, including enough to fully light it again should that be necessary. Lights went on the tree and the spares were tested. All was working without flaw when I took them down. I pull them out last year and do the pre-stringing test to discover *none* of them worked - not even the "new in box" ones I'd tested just in case the year before! So I, again, purchased new lights for the inside tree. They've not been gotten out this year and likely won't. My kids and grandkids are not coming to the house this year so grandma said "If they're not coming I'm not putting out all that stuff." so we're now in a minimalist Christmas mode.

About 20 years ago when my wife insisted the outdoor lights be taken down one cold, drizzly, morning I swore I'd never put up outside lights again. And I have not. She'll put out a couple of inflatables (I hate those things with a passion) and as soon as the wind pulls them up and drops them in the neighbor's yard I gather them up and dump them in the garage. I convinced her to get some small yard augers a couple of years ago, which helps considerably, but I still don't like the things.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My kids and grandkids are not coming to the house this year so grandma said "If they're not coming I'm not putting out all that stuff." so we're now in a minimalist Christmas mode.

I don't blame her for feeling that way-- being as we're in the middle of a pandemic that prevents such gatherings, why bother putting up the decorations?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As I mentioned before also, we are in the same position and are releaved to only have a few decorations out. NO TREE!! Hooray! I have been saying for a number of years that these holidays would be appreciated more if they came every other or every 5 years. When your decorations are up so long that they have to be dusted...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks