What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Paradoxically, her doing her own advertising might actually work in her favor if the ads are very distinctive and grabs attention. Case in point, that we're actually talking about her annoying voice at all in the first place. ;)

I always understood that advertising is a form of a company attempting to "buy/rent space in your brain". An ad is completely ineffective if hardly anybody remembers it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... it's certainly nasal but I don't find it all that offensive. There's a Febreze commercial that runs regularly on Spotify that is far more annoying (I actually clicked over to it to find out what they were selling because the grammar and enunciation was so poor I couldn't understand what was being said - just a high pitched female hip-hop style group).

You guys need to come to the Mid-South and listen to some of what passes for English on local radio and TV. When I worked in TV here we had a couple of business owners who insisted on doing their own commercials. One spoke in a very southern mumble you could barely understand. The other just had no ability to read a script without it sounding like it was being read. They did it because people would tell them "I saw you on TV!" so I'm sure she's doing it for the same "fame" angle as well as saving money by not hiring real talent.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well... it's certainly nasal but I don't find it all that offensive. There's a Febreze commercial that runs regularly on Spotify that is far more annoying (I actually clicked over to it to find out what they were selling because the grammar and enunciation was so poor I couldn't understand what was being said - just a high pitched female hip-hop style group).

You guys need to come to the Mid-South and listen to some of what passes for English on local radio and TV. When I worked in TV here we had a couple of business owners who insisted on doing their own commercials. One spoke in a very southern mumble you could barely understand. The other just had no ability to read a script without it sounding like it was being read. They did it because people would tell them "I saw you on TV!" so I'm sure she's doing it for the same "fame" angle as well as saving money by not hiring real talent.
I've honestly heard far worse. I think it's also the sheer frequency in the number of times her ads play that some people find so grating.

CHEERS! :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
They did it because people would tell them "I saw you on TV!" so I'm sure she's doing it for the same "fame" angle as well as saving money by not hiring real talent.

On a much larger scale, would this be similar to the Dodge/Chrysler tv ads from the 1980s which featured ceo Lee Iaccoca upfront and center?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In terms of advertising longevity, I usually don't remember much at a conscious level. I suspect a lot of the "renting/buying space in someone's brain" is unconscious, eventually leading to a memory recall.

I can't think of many old ads which I can remember easily, without seeing the old ads again (such as on youtube). For example, the only ad I can clearly remember over the decades, was a Coke ad which had a song which had the words "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony ....".

Last edited:

saraei

Auditioning
Real Name
Ann
I will just continue shutting off my radio whether in the car or at home when it comes on. I know there are many repeat ads on TV but they don't bug me like hers.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
All the pushes to get a phone "app" to qualify for a "special coupon" or offer. This crap has seemingly replaced facebook "likes" for this type of promotion.

There's absolutely no way I'm putting some crap app on a phone, which likely allows tracking and certainly profiles you, just for a coupon. My phone is to make and receive phone calls. Nothing else.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
All the pushes to get a phone "app" to qualify for a "special coupon" or offer. This crap has seemingly replaced facebook "likes" for this type of promotion.

There's absolutely no way I'm putting some crap app on a phone, which likely allows tracking and certainly profiles you, just for a coupon. My phone is to make and receive phone calls. Nothing else.

Years ago, this was in the form of signing up a new account on their website and/or email list.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Think the highway signs are obnoxious in your state? Here they're going to solicit suggestions from the public:

VTrans is holding a contest to try to get drivers involved in the messaging that appears on the boards you see when you drive along the highway.

You might have noticed they're trying to be wittier lately [um, no]. And they tell us they've gotten positive feedback.

But they want your creative ideas, too.

"We do want to focus on highway safety, but we don't want to put too many bounds on this. Something that will catch drivers' attention, that will help them hopefully improve their behavior and have a message that will stick with them," said Joshua Schultz, the director of the VTrans Operations and Safety Bureau.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Think the highway signs are obnoxious in your state? Here they're going to solicit suggestions from the public:

How absolutely ludicrous.

I saw one near me yesterday that simply said: "Wash your hands."

Seriously. It was on Interstate 90 just outside Albany.

Three words: "Wash your hands."

Can there be any better example of a true nanny state? I really only expect to hear that sort of thing from the mother of a young child.

Good luck, Malcolm. Why don't you tell them to just remove the signs? :D

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Store employees who aren’t at all helpful to the customer. 40 minutes ago, I tried to purchase a 6 pack of Michelob Ultra at my Kroger. I was told, without a lot of manners, that in Kentucky, beer isn’t sold until 11:00 AM on Sundays. Because I minimize wasted time, I wasn’t going to wait 45 minutes to buy the beer, so I walked the 6 pack back to the cooler (nobody offered to put it back for me). When I returned to the check out line, I mentioned to the clerk that there’s no sign in the beer area telling us about the Sunday restrictions. Her response- “That’s not my problem”. Pathetic. The store should have turned off the lights in the cooler to tell the customer that beer can’t be sold, or there should have been a sign that clearly states the restrictions. That woman running the register needs to be taught a little customer service manners too.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
All these STUPID people I see on TV and You Tube. Not wearing Masks, Drinking and standing on Top of each other !! :( This Virus will NEVER End because of these Idiot's !! :angry: My state, New Jersey is Much Better now. People are behaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
These extended commercials on cable (some are a full 5 minutes long) for charities like ASPCA and St. Jude's hospital. Sometimes running 3 or 4 times per hour. If you have so much cash that you can produce and buy airtime for a 5 minute television commercial that is shown repeatedly, then you obviously don't need my contribution.

Stop wasting money on ads (or direct mailings 3x a week) and put the money where it's supposed to go. It really discourages me from contributing further.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
A study was done here in Canada. Apparently charities hire fund raising companies which advertise widely and get about 90% of the take. The charity is left with 10% at best.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
St. Jude's is an exception to that. For the past 7 years, $.82 of *every* dollar received from donations, research grants, insurance recoveries and investment return has gone to support treatment, research, and future needs of the organization. The family of a child who receives treatment from St. Jude never receives a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food. They accept insurance but because they're a research facility many of the treatment and services provided are not covered. Only 12% of their funding comes from insurance. I have friends who work for St. Jude (one in the department which makes their commercials and videos). It's a good place.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Store employees who aren’t at all helpful to the customer. 40 minutes ago, I tried to purchase a 6 pack of Michelob Ultra at my Kroger. I was told, without a lot of manners, that in Kentucky, beer isn’t sold until 11:00 AM on Sundays. Because I minimize wasted time, I wasn’t going to wait 45 minutes to buy the beer, so I walked the 6 pack back to the cooler (nobody offered to put it back for me). When I returned to the check out line, I mentioned to the clerk that there’s no sign in the beer area telling us about the Sunday restrictions. Her response- “That’s not my problem”. Pathetic. The store should have turned off the lights in the cooler to tell the customer that beer can’t be sold, or there should have been a sign that clearly states the restrictions. That woman running the register needs to be taught a little customer service manners too.

Why did that store assume that everyone knew about the Sunday beer restriction?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks