What's new

What annoys you? (4 Viewers)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Malcolm,

Not trying to be a downer or elicit sympathy, but I lost my mom this summer. Switch that dread to something else and don't let it foul your holidays or get in the way of your relationship with your parents. I will really be missing my mother this Christmas, but enjoyed all the time I did have with her.

Regards,
Chris

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Whenever I'm in a situation like what you're describing, Malcolm...I try to frame it that I'm the only one who can control my reactions to that situation.

I don't know the depth/details of the situation you are dealing with...but I can only counsel that the only thing, often, that we can control in uncomfortable family-based situations is our own feelings/emotions. And that's not to say that it's easy or that a magic wand can be waved to take care of it. Just that if you want to put your parents first on the matter, try to dwell on the happiness/peace you are bringing to them...rather than how much thing will suck for you.

Again. That's not to say it's easy.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Malcolm,

Not trying to be a downer or elicit sympathy, but I lost my mom this summer. Switch that dread to something else and don't let it foul your holidays or get in the way of your relationship with your parents. I will really be missing my mother this Christmas, but enjoyed all the time I did have with her.

Regards,
Chris
I'm sorry for your loss, Chris, which is apt to be acute this Christmas. When I lost my Dad, I made a point the following Christmas to view WHITE CHRISTMAS, as he so loved watching that movie during the holidays.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Malcolm,

Regards,
Chris
Sorry for your loss. Yes, that's why I'm struggling with how I feel about this. I know they won't be around forever (they're in their 70's).

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Major annoyance:

Recently my wife "organized" our bathroom and put all of our toiletries into baskets, one for her one for me, which are stored under a bench in the master bath. This is no knock to my wife as this has actually been a great idea and limits the clutter we have on our bathroom sink counter space. Yesterday after getting out of the shower, I reached under the bench to grab my basket and did not see the razor sticking out through one of the little holes in the side of the basket. Sliced the shit out of my ring finger on the right hand. This happens at 6 AM. We could not get the bleeding to stop, I mean its gushing. I decide - ok I need to go to patient first and get them to deal with this. PF doesn't open until 8 AM, ok, I'll sit tight till then. Get to PF at 8 and luckily get called in almost right away. Doc looks at it and says "you have nicked an artery, we can't help you, you need to go to the hospital."

sigh

I go to the ER at Johns Hopkins. There is no sadder place to be than an ER in any hospital near Baltimore ({I suspect) as there are certain segments of our society that views the ER as their primary care physician. Longer story shorter - I didn't walk out of there for another 4 hours. It took quite a bit of effort to stop the bleeding. The whole episode ended up being about 8 hours from wound to bandage so I just went home instead of work.

I blame daylight savings time....

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Sorry for your loss. Yes, that's why I'm struggling with how I feel about this. I know they won't be around forever (they're in their 70's).
Thanks. My mom was 2 weeks shy of 87 and was close to dying more than once due to a botched surgery in her 40s. We were lucky to have her as long as we did.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I'm sorry for your loss, Chris, which is apt to be acute this Christmas. When I lost my Dad, I made a point the following Christmas to view WHITE CHRISTMAS, as he so loved watching that movie during the holidays.
Rob Ray, Thanks and you are right about this Christmas time. I like that you have a video tribute that you can enjoy and reminds you of your dad.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Moving to Palmetto, FL and finding out that Spectrum and Frontier do not carry the YES channel. I guess I'll be getting Direct TV!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moving to Palmetto, FL and finding out that Spectrum and Frontier do not carry the YES channel. I guess I'll be getting Direct TV!

There's always the MLB package you can stream (via a device like an Apple 4kTV or on your computer at MLB.com). That's what I do. They air all out-of-market games.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's always the MLB package you can stream (via a device like an Apple 4kTV or on your computer at MLB.com). That's what I do. They air all out-of-market games.
There is Yankee related baseball programming that's not on the MLB package like the pre-game, post-game and other Yankee related stuff.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You can stream Yankee games from your AppleTV unit on your TV.

That's what I do. I used to use my TV itself for streaming but often ran into buffering issues. When I got the Apple 4kTV unit, all that went away and it was a consistently solid performance.

It's true that you don't get pre- and post-game shows...but they're not important to me as I don't need the talking heads to tell me what to expect to see or what I just saw. If I want to see a particular highlight, it is always something I can find on an internet clip somewhere (usually mlb.com). And, all that season's games are archived for you if you wanted to go back and see something you missed.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
In the process of selling a house. Because it sits on a hill, we know it's going to be a tougher than usual sell. We had 25 showings, and most of the feedback indicated that the hill was a major turnoff.

After a month on the market, we finally got an offer on Halloween. Folks want to go to closing on 11/26 (the Tuesday before Thanksgiving). Okay, that's an aggressive schedule, but it gets the house off my hands sooner.

Home inspection on 11/5. They get their addendum for what they want us to fix on 11/9.

The list has 15 freaking items on it, written in 7 point font. I had to copy and paste the text into Word to read it, and that's how I figured out exactly how small it was. Oh, and they want invoices a week prior to closing (which would be 11/19).

It's hard enough to get contractors scheduled with no constraints, but trying to get them in November with only a one week window? Not happening. It took me two weeks to find someone that could power wash the house before we did put it on the market.

I determine real quick that we're only going to be offering money instead of fixing anything. There was nothing on the list that was a code requirement or immediate safety hazard. Really, it looked like they got a really nitpicky home inspector and then picked out a few things that sounded good. Heck, one of the items was asking to clean out the gutters. (It's November, folks. Of course they're full of debris. Get a ladder and clean them out.) We submit a counteroffer that takes a couple thousand off the price of the house in lieu of repairs.

We hear back that the buyer really wants the repairs done and that knocking the price off the house doesn't really help them with short term cash flow.

WTF? You want to go to closing in two weeks, but you've got a list of 15 demands? People....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks