What's new

What annoys you? (3 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Discovering that the newer Need For Speed for the PS4 is made in such a way that you must have a remarkably high-speed Internet connection and a PlayStation Plus account to even play a single-player game. I mean, it's one thing to have that requirement to play with players around the world (that much is reasonable), but to have it made in such a way that online is a requirement just to play the core game without others is ridiculous! Does Sony think we have screens that circumnavigate the globe, and Internet speeds of 10,000 miles a second?!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Like I felt at the time, Google Street View suggests I didn't have any other options except to drive through one of those lanes, without an EZPass. So maybe I didn't screw up.

View attachment 63842

View attachment 63843

I was thinking at the time that the Toll Plate was an extra cost option Pennsylvanians could pay extra for to get some added convenience, but that seems unnecessary with EZPass.

Are they doing this just because so many people are using plastic money these days and lack money at the ready?
I thought they were getting rid of toll takers for the reason of cutting jobs, and eliminating union beefs (the PA Turnpike had a toll taker strike in 2005).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Talk about annoying! About maybe 15 years ago, a highway was built in my area called the 407. It was decided to make it a toll road and sell a contract to a European company to maintain it and collect the tolls. They were given a 99 year lease! Tolls have gone up and up as they gouge users. The government tried to make them lower this toll or at least stop increasing it. The court found that for 99 years the company can do what it wants due to the contract signed. It now costs about 40 cents a kilometre to use it!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don’t find my own life that interesting.

I would imagine most folks' lives are extremely mundane and uninteresting to an outsider.

Even celebrities who are not in the limelight anymore, their stories seem rather boring after they disappered largely from the media.

It is hard to imagine some outside dark force being more intrigued!

The only "dark forces" being intrigued by my mundane boring existence, would be certain relatives who are gossip mongers.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Outside of family / acquaintance social circles, such rumor mongering would be worthless and have no value at all. It would be simiar to posting random gossip and rants onto facebook, twitter, instagram, blogs, etc .... which hardly anbody reads.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even most biographies of famous or semi-famous people are somewhat boring.

As an example, I've been reading about King Edward VIII before and after abdication. Overall I got the impression Edward VIII was bored all the time in spite of being a party animal "jetset" type, and being very rich where he could buy and/or do just about anything he wanted.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
We passed another of those large unhelpful signs on the local express way here. It said on a huge portable sign:

“Speeding is Speeding” !

As much as all this ^ may sound really really stupid, I strongly suspect the reason why such unhelpful signs exist is for legal reasons.

Basically people can't use utter stupidity and/or ignorance as a legal defense in such cases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even if for no other reason, it preemptively closes off certain lines of legal arguments which would otherwise be wasting resources in the legal system.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
As much as all this ^ may sound really really stupid, I strongly suspect the reason why such unhelpful signs exist is for legal reasons.

Basically people can't use utter stupidity and/or ignorance as a legal defense in such cases.

I suspect that these "useless" messages may be a troubleshooting aid, so a sign with no message would be easily ID'd as a unit in need of maintenance.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We don’t seem to be as litigious in Canada as I the US, but we are getting there.

I once bought a large cardboard piece to put in the car front window when you parked in the summer to keep the heat down. It had a picture of sunglasses on one side. On the back side was written this:

“Do not drive with auto shade in place”. !

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I once bought a large cardboard piece to put in the car front window when you parked in the summer to keep the heat down. It had a picture of sunglasses on one side. On the back side was written this:

“Do not drive with auto shade in place”. !

For a few more pennies, the manufacturer essentially absolved themselves of legal liability from the stupidity of somebody driving with the carboard piece blocking all view.

Typical legal tactic is to sue the manufacturer of an item which is involved in a casualty.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Why are people so paranoid? We haven’t used money for years. Everything we buy is on MasterCard and paid off in one lump sum at the end of the month. We rack up air miles by the ton. I just got a battery lawn mower costing $600. in the store for free with air miles. I have carried around the same twenty dollar bill in my wallet for years. (The Queen on it looks about 20 herself!).

How do you tip the strippers?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That Clemson drops to #3 on the AP poll, even with the huge win over FSU last Saturday, 45-14. How else is Clemson supposed to win?!

I mean, they drop to #2 after a squeaker win over UNC, and drop yet again with a huge win over FSU! Did the poll people expect Clemson to keep FSU and UNC scoreless, while winning over both of 'em?!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Getting "stuck" behind a diesel vehicle (lots of people around here drive diesel pickups). Just about as annoying are cars that need a tune up where they're either running rich (smell unburnt gas) and/or burning oil.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
If you want to get annoyed, try getting a pericardiocentesis sometime. I had one last December. They run a huge needle through your ribcage down into the pericardium, guided by ultrasound probe, so they can drain off excess fluid. And you are awake for the entire proceedings.

pericardiocentesis-pic-004.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks