What's new

What 3 films do you want most on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Although it's not my absolute favorite film, I feel it would be appropriate for the first title I ever bought on DVD to come out on Blu-ray. That would be "My Fair Lady."

"Roman Holiday" would also be nice.

As would "The Empire Strikes Back."

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
I know I have had my three, but I would like to see properly mastered Blu-ray versions of the Samuel Bronston films:
EL CID
55 DAYS AT PEKING
THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
CLEOPATRA (1963) - with any restored footage

JULIET OF THE SPIRITS (one of my favorite color films)

BECKY SHARP (1935 - the Robert Gitt/UCLA 84 minute restored version - this really should be made available!)

mconwell

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I would like these

Batman Television series from the 60's (never released on DVD)
Six Million Dollar Man (never released on DVD in the US)
Empire Records (would love to have original and extended cut)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
El Sur looks like a film I would be interested in.
I'll have to check it out soon.

The film I want to see most on Blu-ray is Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon.
It is a unique and very special film; no other film is quite like it.

I would like to see McCabe & Mrs. Miller and The Long Goodbye remastered for Blu-ray because of how they are lit, lensed, and processed.
Zsigmond and Altman, Altman and Zsigmond.
The DVD's are fine, but there is considerably more information in theatrical negs than meets the eye on DVD.

John Boorman's Excalibur and The Emerald Forest offer visual aesthetics that need to be seen in Blu-ray.
The latter is one of the most vastly under-rated films ever made.

John Coquillon's work on Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is in dire need of rescue.
Blu-ray could really bring out the autumnal color pallette and the lawmen stepping like ghosts out of the darkness

I would like to see Douglas Sirk's color masterpieces on Blu-ray.
All that Heaven Allows, Magnificent Obsession, Written On the Wind, Battle Hymn, Imitation of Life.
Perhaps even A Time to Love and a Time to Die.
The story is in the carefully designed color and in the grain.

Ben Johnson once told me that Charles Lang was the real director of One-Eyed Jacks.
The change in directors and Brando's frustrations didn't matter, Lang just shot the film the way it should be shot and in effect directed it.
Beautiful looking western.

Is that 3 or did I leave one out?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That's a very interesting piece of information. I'd like to hear more about that.

It's not unknown for cinematographers to be in effect the co-director on a movie. For example, Leon Shamroy working on A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, Elia Kazan's first movie as director, took responsibility for all the staging etc. Shirley Jones, in her commentary track for the DVD of Oklahoma! says that Robert Surtees worked out all the camera angles, not Fred Zinnemann.
Originally Posted by Richard--W
Ben Johnson once told me that Charles Lang was the real director of One-Eyed Jacks.
The change in directors and Brando's frustrations didn't matter, Lang just shot the film the way it should be shot and in effect directed it.
Beautiful looking western.

Is that 3 or did I leave one out?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"El Sur looks like a film I would be interested in.
I'll have to check it out soon."

well you will have a hard time,unless you can watch a pal or Japanese dvd withoiut english,I don't think the film
ever came out here in any form,It did have subtiles in the Theater

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right now I'd like

The Big Lebowski

I haven't been able to watch the tribulations of "The Dude" for awhile now, because my HD DVD freezes up halfway through the film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Edwin-S /forum/thread/293359/what-3-films-do-you-want-most-on-blu/150#post_3645853

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart
Only 3?
Brazil (1985) - Criterion

Back to the Future Trilogy (if Universal don't mess with this one like they did with recent BD releases offering very poor image quality)

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - Warner

I would vote for more titles like Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars, Fright Night, etc. but those are my current choices.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
STAR WARS -original versions-

Howard The Duck (Yes, im serious)
Because I am a major Stallone fan....

Demolition man (with 6.1 DTS-HD Please) Why in gods name did Over the top and Tango & Cash get blu releases before Demolition man & Assassins?? Seriously Warner...why ??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks