What's new

Wharfedale? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I just "discovered" these. Latest Audio Advisor has some real deals on the Opus line. But I can't find many reviews (ecoustics, audioreview, etc). Any users out there? Like them? Hate them? What's the overall feeling? They look like the real deal. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My friend just bought a pair that appeared to be B stocks. They look much like a pair of B&W's with the top mounted tweeter. I think he paid $200 a pair for them. Looking at their website, it doesn't appear that he bought this years' speakers at all.

Sound wise: He is powering them with a Carver TFM15 via Kimber Kable using his Sony DB930 receiver as a preamp. His cd player is an Onkyo Integra 6 disc changer.

I would describe the sound as very good for what they cost. They are not shrill or bright at all. The midrange wasn't too good though. It tended to be muddied up by the lower bass the woofers produced. They do image quite well though.

Granted I only had a small audition, but they were decent for the $$. I would like to hear them in my system up against my Phase Techs. Based on initial listening, I don't think his will match up but he paid not a whole lot for them.

They are better than his previous Klipsch Synergy speakers though if that says anything. Most people would be pleased by them I'm sure.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
This is the impression I'm getting. They aren't well known speakers, but sound very good for the price.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
you should look at the PDFs of the opus line-I thought they were quite impressive.

I ordered the center-thinking of the mains now too.

Should be here in two days-post impressions then.

Rogo

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I saw the PDF. That's what got me interested. As well as the AA prices. ;) Please let us know your impressions.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Wharfedale, as I remember, is an old and fairly well respected English speaker maker. Their Diamond series has gotten very good reviews from the mags. Comp USA has/had a 5.1 model on their shelf, but I didn't think it was of the same quality as their more expensive full sized speakers. Kinda cheezy looking. Don't form an opinion of Wharfedale based on the ones at Comp USA.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin

It should be here tommorow-I'll post impression then-have all day wednesday to listen. :)

Rogo

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have some Wharfedale Modus 1.6 tower speakers. They sound good. For the price they are fantastic (they were $40 each - the shipping was more expensive). I think they're like Fluance - low budget LOTS of bang for the buck. I think they're trying to restore their image to previous glory, but I don't think it's working.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 7.1 setup consisting of all Diamond 8 series throughout.
I got a great deal on the set at 33% off so it was a no brainer when I was shopping.
They perform great for me, allthough the center is not PERFECTLY matched to the right and left.
For the price I'd give them an A.
The Evo line look awesome and the Opus line are so nice I wouldn't want them for fear of ruining the finish somehow.

You might wanna check out the newly released Diamond 9 series as they've just released them with new drivers including a new 2" mid dome and redesigned cabinets as well.

joseFMJ

Stunt Coordinator
And in a recent shoot out in a major Brit hi-fi magazine, the Diamond 9.1 came out tops, beat a lot of big names.
I have been using Diamonds since the original came out in the 80's. I love their size to sound ratio.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
They are the real deal. Currently Wharfedales top of line speakers.
Regardless, like all speaks, they will not be for everyone no matter how good they are in any or all respects.

They were just released recently here approx 4 months ago. They made their debute at the last CES show I belive. One US mag reviewer made metion of them after returning from the show and was stoutly impressed all round with them. I'm sorry I can't rmember which reviewer or Mag. I searched for the/his CES report and it no longer shows up.

No reviews as of yet like you mention, well as far as I could find also. Just many asking about them with no real user personal take or actual review info around..

"Maybe" a possible review in a Britt mag, but nothing here yet apparently.

I would expect that they have the usuall trait of most Britt brand designed speaks, a softer but cleanly presented highend, then hopefully a nice clean accurate midrage and un-pronounced/non boomy bass.
All speculation on my part.!!!!!

Buy a small or large pair and be the first to tell everyone your thoughts...;)

AA is excellent to deal with in case you've never delt/purchased with them!

Cheers
Geoff ¥

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think all of the Opus series are gone from AA. Don't know if they were clearing out that line, or whether a new model is coming in or whatever. I do need to try to check them out in person though (local dealer). I get peeved at myself when I "discover" good gear that I should already know about! :)

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin

Had yesterday to listen to the speaker (the Opus Tri-center).

It's a wonderful speaker! It opened up the soundstage in both width and depth. The presence of the people talking through a front pan is palpable-heavy action sequences are much clearer/crisp - not sloppy sounding and you can pinpoint a car flying by your head-at the same time as an explosion is occuring behind it.

With music, (running a Music Hall cd32) in NeoMusic mode - there is much more body, and listening to a few of my favorite CDs-the impression is one of greater response and nuance. There is less harsness from brass-and the keyboard work in Bitches Brew is more pronounced with less edginess.

Setup-Really quick-I'm running out the door:

Onkyo 701
NAD 314 running mains
NAD 2200 running sub
MusicHall CD32
Cheapie Dual DVD player (saving for upgrade)
SoundDynamics 300TI mains
SoundDynamics SS-1b rears
SoundDynamics CS500 Center
Wharfedale Opus Tri-Center (replacing CS500)
Mitsubishi 32"

Overall impression-The best $350 I've spent in quite a while!

It's amazing piece of work-weighs 38lbs by itself-and looks SOOO classy :)

Thanks for reading

Rogo

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad they don't have any more centers, I would love to have a pair of Opus 1s and the matching center.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That center is a nice one. I really like the idea of the stacked tweeter and midrange, and then the flanking woofers. Helps out a great deal with off-axis lobing. I need to get motivated to see some of these in person...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks