What's new

Wha-BAM! Part 2: AV12 Comes Home (1 Viewer)

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Well, finally, after much beating of fists, swearing, and throwing of tools, my Thunder 12.3 cabinet with AV12 driverand 500w Parts Express amplifier is finally finished. It was a tremendous chore to move the beast upstairs (I discovered that the corner had been digin into my hand and cut it) but now that it is in my room and hooked up to my stereo, I have had the chance to get a few impressions of this subwoofer. First off, even without the extra body fat that I added in terms of styling elements (top and bottom end caps, solid Oak trim, cloth grilles on all 3 sides) this is one heavy sub for just 3 cubic feet. The $25 investment in a furniture scooter was a worthwhile one as it is easier to roll this sub than it is to drag it. Moving it up stairs was torture. I think that next summer this thing is going to live downstairs or in our garage. I double-layered all the walls for strength and to get that flush-mounted driver appearance without having to use a router.

The first song I played with this subwoofer hooked up was a song by a local hardcore-metal band called Haste The Day. Their first CD features a track with two enormous bass booms, and while all my old subwoofer could do was sort of sputter, this delivered the payload with major power and punch, my first indication that I have a serious subwoofer on my hands. As compared to my previous subwoofer, this one does not call attention to itself until it is called upon to make bass, and make bass it does. A 20 Hz sinewave test shook the walls and got those passive radiators hopping. This was probably the most impressive output I have ever heard from any subwoofer. I haven't had a good chance to hear very many, but it definitely outdid even the dual 12" Dayton Titanic vented subwoofers that a friend of mine has. The AV12 has a huge amount of excursion, yet even when there is underlying bass detail under the booms, this driver still delivers it. The passive radiators are also very impressive. They are probably tuned to around 19 Hz, so they really don't move to most music but when you get a major bass effect, they get hopping. No matter what music I tried this sub with, it sounded magnificent. Victor Wooten's bass was rendered with amazing clarity, and Futureman's lick drum did not have the bloat that my previous subwoofer gave to it, but it still had low-frequency oomph. Even without any movies to really test this beast with, this is one serious subwoofer.

Pictures will come soon, whenever I figure out what is up with my account on the Purdue University file server.

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an acronym I picked up from another forum

TTIWWOP

This thread is worthless without pictures.

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't say useless, but pics would be nice.

Rory, great selection using the Flecktones for music evaluation, their music is always changing and very dynamic with great lows here and there. Do you have Victor's A Show of Hands? Excellent for focusing on your sub crossover to your mains.........and it's also some damn fine bass playing! BTW, I'm going to see them the end of July.;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Nice. I have a very similar setup, a very early AV12 (Mk.1, SVC) with two 15" Lambda PR's in ~3ft^3.

Like books, right?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yep, same 1400g. I get a tuning around 20-21Hz by the "feel the driver stop moving" method. We're like...brothers!

I was thinking about trying another driver and going with more watts...maybe that Sadhara driver from Adire. Looks nice in this box.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
How many watts are you using now? I have heard of people putting 1000w amps on the AV series drivers and having no troubles as long as they don't go nuts. The Parts Express amps have a dynamic compressor that prevents the amplifier from clipping. 500 is enough to make the PRs say "ouch" at 20 Hz. (they start making a "thwupppppppppp" sound which I'm sure can't be good for them.)

Addendum: Examining the shape of the surround at the longest point of the PRs' travel during a 20Hz sinewave shows that I was actually reaching the limits of the PRs' surround. Of course, by this point, I am noticing the rest of the house starting to join in on the fun as stuff starts shaking on the walls.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jack, if you're serious about this you might want to check with Dan W. and do it soon!

A while back I saw a post from Dan stating that the raw drivers were no longer going to be available to DIYers. All produced were are going to be used in house.

Note that they've been removed from the list of drivers on the Adire site.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member

AFAIK they'll still be available to dealers/OEM's. If Jack really wanted one I'm sure he could find someone to hook him up.;)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Brian,

In this thread Dan says that it is not available from Adire and that dealers may still have some left. I took that to mean that once dealers are out of stock then it is done. Seems as though I read that somewhere else too. Thoughts?

Sorry for the off topic discussion....

- Dan

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

I hadn't seen that thread before. To me that doesn't imply that dealers/OEM's can no longer get the drivers, though. And even if it is no longer available, the Brahma 12, which this driver is based on, is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.