What's new

West Wing 2nd season question (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've never watched WW via broadcast, but have caught the first two seasons on DVD. i was just wondering if they ever explained Moira Kelly's departure. did they do it in the 2nd season and i just missed it?

btw, the 2nd season was awesome! it's actually hard to compare it to the first, in terms of better or worse, but i think it is easily just as good.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Aaron Sorkin is one of the greatest writers I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. However he is not perfect. One of his biggest weaknesses is his lack of character transitions. The show never explains what exactly happened to Mandy. Her job was media consultant so I just assume that they let her go. Either that or she was shot at Rosslyn :) .

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Eric:

You will find that as you get into the show that

1) It is one of the best acted and written shows ever on TV.

2) They have people coming and going all the time that you get used to seeing and then you never see them again.

Another one that I still have problems with is letting Emily Proctor go as Ansley Hays. I loved her character on the show. She Emily must have gotten her gig with CSI- Miami but I always looked forward to her bits on the show.

Greg S

Supporting Actor

I totally agree with this one. I loved the verbal spats she and Sam had all through Season 2, excellent!!

Greg

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i was a die-hard ER fan from day one to 2 seasons ago, watching it every thursday, and i never thought anything could get better than that, but West Wing is probably better, though its style is quite different (and i think WW is inifintely more re-watchable). Sorkin is like modern day Shakespeare (i love SportsNight too). it's too bad the show has apparently gone downhill the last couple of years. bring on the next 2 seasons on DVD!

p.s. does anybody remember ~why~ Kelly left? did she want out, want too much money, or did the Sorkin simply get tired of her character? it seems like Marlee Matlin's character kinda overlapped with hers

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I think Kelly wanted out, and Sorkin wasn't sad to see her go.

The last season of West Wing strained my patience, much like E.R. did with Anthony Edwards's last season, which was the last season I watched.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I just got the 2nd season DVD yesterday, and the first thing I did was watch the episode where Ainsley is introduced. Great stuff; the scene with her and Leo in his office is fantastic.

After they resolved the kidnapping at the beginning of this past season, I watched one or two more and dropped the show. Can't say I missed it. I did catch a promo where a bomb went off under one of the vehicles in the motorcade, causing it to roll :rolleyes

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I still think that the second season finale, "Two Cathedrals," is one of the finest hours of American television, ever.

Rob T

Screenwriter

When you see what happens because of that, it's almost as sad as when Mrs. Landingham dies. :frowning:

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I just read the recap of it at Television without Pity's website and I realized I had just watched it a few weeks ago on Bravo. Images from the episdoe flooded my head as I was reading it.

The only good thing about him leaving is that he can grace his awesome presence on another show, hopefully soon.

It was probably this episode alone that garnered the West Wing it's Emmy for Best Drama that season. So far it's 4/4, although I suspect that the Sopranos will finally break through this year. The 5th season of WW has had it's ups and downs and the 5th season of the Sopranos has gotten better and better with each episode. Just my 2 cents.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Folks, please include spoilers for sensitive season 2 info. I'm seeing it for the first time on DVD and I like the anticipation of not knowing what happens.
Many thanks!

BrentC

Agent

This is total gossip, but i remember that "the word on the street" was that Sorkin and Kelly where Dating at the begining of season one. And weren't dating at the end of season one.
The disapearing female characters on the West wing has always been a running joke with my brother and I. Another one is Leo's daughter who goes from almost dating Sam to total oblivion.

Ps I Loved Emily Proctor's character with the intensity of 8 white hot suns. She seems wasted on CSI

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

You are not alone. I just watched Bartlet's Third State of the Union with that Bossa Nova scene. Man. That was just adorable! And the very sight of Bartlet out of focus behind Sam had me busting out laughing. She's so easy to fall in love with altough she has the toughest of tough competition in Donnatella and Claudia Jean. But there's no doubt, C.J. is the greatest. C.J. is easily the most beautiful female character I've ever seen in a piece of fiction. Most males in my demographic might rant about the girls on Buffy or Alias. Me, I rant about the women on the West Wing. If I had to put them in order...

1. C.J. Cregg

Donna, Ainsley, Amy, Joey, all of these are way too hard to put in order after that.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of people do come and go on the show. I have been a big fan (well, the past two seasons have tried my patience...amen about Aaron).

The thing I dislike the most is the fact that no one, except the pres. has a husband/wife. I mean NO ONE. If I look at any White House, I doubt that would be the case. Of course, this allows the overkill of bizarre and strained dating relationships which I personally could do without on this show.

However, I enjoy the fact that people do seem to come and go at this White House without fanfare. That IS very similar to how it really works. The show is very smart in that it leaves a great deal of detail out for the viewer. We just don't get to know everything.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

I don't find it all that distracting. Leo and Toby are divorced. Josh and Donna are deeply in love with each other so there's really no need for them to date outside of the office. Sam is a workaholic and seemed to manage fine without female companionship. Charlie has (had?) Zoey. I think Aaron had his bases covered pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks