What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"West Side Story" blu-ray Street Date:October 17th (1 Viewer)

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Robert Harris said:
Then one might be led to presume that:

A.  They like everything so that they can receive mountains of free software.
...and gift baskets and junkets. I wish I could remember his name, but there's one particular quote whore who doles out the superlatives like nobody's business on tons of crap. Anyone with any sense would surely throw back into the bargain bin a DVD whose only quote is a rave from this or some other idiot's blog. I pre-ordered the set and single BD for this masterpiece. If everything else holds up (picture- and sound-wise), I wonder how likely a recall or later fix would be for something the vast majority probably wouldn't know about, notice or even care if pointed out to them. I want it so badly on BD that the issue is a real dilemma for me. (It'd be just my luck that the studio will announce a fix, but no recall, immediately after my return window closes!) (I met David Winters/A-rab in London in the early '70s. It was impossible to imagine that great dancer's body under the layers of 'living', over which he wore a fur coat with no discernible shirt underneath. A few gold chains were all that separated his bare chest from the world).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by marsnkc

I pre-ordered the set and single BD for this masterpiece. If everything else holds up (picture- and sound-wise), I wonder how likely a recall or later fix would be for something the vast majority probably wouldn't know about, notice or even care if pointed out to them.
I want it so badly on BD that the issue is a real dilemma for me. (It'd be just my luck that the studio will announce a fix, but no recall, immediately after my return window closes!)

It should not be about the unwashed masses, or the rest of the world.

The job is to hit the standards of the filmmakers, and nothing less. If not, why bother with Blu-ray, or even DVD at that matter.

Pan and scan VHS is just fine.

RAH

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Both "West Side Story" and "My Fair Lady" had images over the overture - so the theaters wouldn't cut them. They were Part of te film. My Fair Lady has flowers and then credits..West Side Story has the lines of the Manhattan skyline ...Robert Wise purposely made it part of the film...fading to black is the same as fading to black just before a song starts orin the middle of a scene....you wouldn't do it.. Who ever did this is a moron.

The Us release shouldn't have this problem. Unlike other films were the overture fades to black before the title starts (Because the overture was always black on these films in theaters) the images were added for home video so Ma and Pa Kettle woudn't think something was wrong with their tv set)

Mr Harris, why shouldn't we get our hopes up on the "My Fair Lady" blu-ray???? Paramount has been doing some excellent work on catalog titles.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Both "West Side Story" and "My Fair Lady" had images over the overture - so the theaters wouldn't cut them. They were Part of te film. My Fair Lady has flowers and then credits..West Side Story has the lines of the Manhattan skyline ...Robert Wise purposely made it part of the film...fading to black is the same as fading to black just before a song starts orin the middle of a scene....you wouldn't do it.. Who ever did this is a moron.

The Us release shouldn't have this problem. Unlike other films were the overture fades to black before the title starts (Because the overture was always black on these films in theaters) the images were added for home video so Ma and Pa Kettle woudn't think something was wrong with their tv set)

Mr Harris, why shouldn't we get our hopes up on the "My Fair Lady" blu-ray???? Paramount has been doing some excellent work on catalog titles.

It might be due to the missing overture on Scrooge. But like you I have hopes the MY FAIR LADY will be the fairest in the land. I canceled my WWS until I know for sure what is going on with the overture and if it is not correct, can I handle it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
GMpasqua said:
Mr. Harris previously stated in the thread about Paramount blu rays and their restoration unit that as far as he knew Paramount's restoration unit has nothing to do with the My Fair Lady blu ray. It is a CBS film as is Scrooge. Paramount is just releasing the film.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
In a related matter, TCM and Fathom entertainment are doing a screening in theatres of WEST SIDE STORY around the country on November 9th. This sounded good to me until I saw this disclaimer: " This event presentation has been modified from its original 1961 release to fit the screen. " I know last year when there was a similar event for SOUND OF MUSIC, they showed the movie without the intermission. Granted WSS in its preferred version does not have an intermission, but just what does this mean? Hopefully not pan and scan.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
GMpasqua said:

Hi Greg. I don't understand the highlighted remark above. Should we interpret it as: 1) "I hope it won't have the problem" or 2) "I have inside knowledge indicating that it won't have the problem"? I'm concerned about the flaws, and am genuinely interested in what you wrote. Thanks, Doug

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Called MGM this afternoon and they have no idea what I am talking about, and said all films fade at the end of the overture before the main credits. LOL.

I find this all somewhat comical since Fox is the only one of the home entertainment companies that actually shows a blank screen on the DVD/Blu-ray for the overture/Entr'acte music/exit music. They did this with the overture and exit music on IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, along with their films such as SOUTH PACIFIC. I applauded them for doing this, for the still with a huge OVERTURE plastered across is annoying to me. I have always thought the opening overture to WEST SIDE STORY was unique and special and got the viewer into the film. This was helped by the Saul Bass animation during the overture. Robert Wise was a wise man to play it this way. Now if we can just find some wise men to do things right we will all be better off.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I have no insider knowledge on the title.

I would think the US shouldn't have this problem because anyone working in film transfer would realize the overture's colors are part of the film and not something that was added on for home video. FOX has been releasing this title since the early 80's and never had a problem with it in the past (the same people still work there and they know it's the way the movie was filmed) So I would guess they would catch.

Don't know what goes on in the UK, but the cover art alone screams they are clue less

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I have no insider knowledge on the title.

I would think the US shouldn't have this problem because anyone working in film transfer would realize the overture's colors are part of the film and not something that was added on for home video. FOX has been releasing this title since the early 80's and never had a problem with it in the past (the same people still work there and they know it's the way the movie was filmed) So I would guess they would catch.

Don't know what goes on in the UK, but the cover art alone screams they are clue less

Would not Fox use the same transfer as the one used in UK? It's not Fox I worry about, but MGM. Every time there has been a problem, Fox always says that they only used the transfer that MGM sent them. That was their answer on the transfer of THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and the missing Entr'acte on IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

I so agree with you on the UK art work.

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
The Us release shouldn't have this problem
I'm based in the UK, so I sincerly hope so, and that it will be region free, so that I can import the US version if this doesn't get fixed. However is this likely? With the advent of Bluray, I had assumed that it would be fairly common practice for newly released titles for major films, especially one like this where a lot of time has been spent (hopefully) trying to coax the best out of the best available elements, to use the same transfer and master in both Europe and the US, even if the distributors are different. Wouldn't the fade to black be part of the film's digital master, rather than the whole disc encode, the latter of which I could understand being different for different markets? Just curious.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by ahollis

Would not Fox use the same transfer as the one used in UK? It's not Fox I worry about, but MGM. Every time there has been a problem, Fox always says that they only used the transfer that MGM sent them. That was their answer on the transfer of THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and the missing Entr'acte on IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

I so agree with you on the UK art work.

I doubt the fade to black was part of the transfer - why would it be, it's not like the fade is naturally there - really? Why fade to black in the middle of a scene? I would guess the UK branch decided to add it themselves and it was a bad marketing decision on their part - But I don't know - so don't go by my guess

Unlike a real overture or ent'race - this was never a sound only item, it was always accompanied by an image and if the image disappears in the middle - it's a mistake - and it either means someone messed up or someone purposely altered the film

would you fade to black after Julie Andrews runs down the hill and then have the credits to "The Sound of Music" start?

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Besides, so many people know this film and all ready own it on DVD so they will think something is wrong when the picture fades to black in the middle

by the way, what's with all these scrolling messages on HTF? Ron they are giving a ***! headache!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I doubt the fade to black was part of the transfer - why would it be, it's not like the fade is naturally there - really? Why fade to black in the middle of a scene? I would guess the UK branch decided to add it themselves and it was a bad marketing decision on their part - But I don't know - so don't go by my guess

Unlike a real overture or ent'race - this was never a sound only item, it was always accompanied by an image and if the image disappears in the middle - it's a mistake - and it either means someone messed up or someone purposely altered the film

would you fade to black after Julie Andrews runs down the hill and then have the credits to "The Sound of Music" start?

Whoa dude, read my other posts. I am agreeing with you that whatever happened to the UK transfer with the fade to black at the end of the overture is not how it is supposed to be and that it could only have happened through someone not knowing the film or what they were doing. I know that this and a couple of other films did not have an overture over blank film as a majority of roadshow films did in that era but was always accompanied by the Saul Bass image. Saw the film in theatres and have owned the laserdiscs and DVD's. And no I would not fade after Julie runs down the hill for that would be as preposterous as this supposed fade is in West Side Story.

I just am not that comfortable that the US release would be any different than the UK release. I am not sure that they had a guy standing there that added the fade at that time, but wonder if not the fade was added to the transfer. I see and understand your thoughts but mine is a reasonable thought also until November 15th, unless you have inside information then I will drop my thought.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Besides, so many people know this film and all ready own it on DVD so they will think something is wrong when the picture fades to black in the middle

by the way, what's with all these scrolling messages on HTF? Ron they are giving a ***! headache!

Well evidently there was one person in the UK that did not know the film.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, they may be be familar with the film, but the marketing people may have added it to follow a current trend. It's just like adding chapters - they're not always the same. The UK version may have different menus - but maybe not.

Also remember witth the PAL speed up - the UK version not always represents the exact US version - and this is especially true of sync issues

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think it is hopelessly optimistic to think that the US version would be any different than the UK version. The releases were coordinated together (about a month apart) and DVD Beaver has confirmed that the UK Blu-ray is region-free, so it's most likely going to be exactly the same. The only real hope is that MGM/Fox will get wind of the gaffe and pull back the US release, and redo it. I'd be very happy if they did that even if it meant a delay.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Mark-P said:
The only real hope is that MGM/Fox will get wind of the gaffe and pull back the US release, and redo it. I'd be very happy if they did that even if it meant a delay.
I agree, this would be the classy thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks