What's new

Went to buy Def Tech, then I listed to Paradigm....... (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I went to buy speakers on Saturday still undecided exactly what I was getting but had auditioned Def Techs several times, read the reviews, etc and had convinced myself that they were the way to go. I have an SVS so I was going to get BP30 / CLR2000 / BP2x. I auditioned and just could not get excited about what I was hearing. I was not blown away as I had hoped. I went into another room where I thought Whitney Houston was in concert and found that it was Studio 40's that I was hearing and not Whitney herself. I could not believe the clarity. I told the guy that I had heard that they were not as good for HT. He quickly proved that to be wrong. To make a long story short, I cannot believe the clarity these babies produced. I am very happy with my Studio 40 / Studio CC / Studio ADP combo that I walked away with. It pays to demo as much as possible before making a decision, regardless of what you are told. My first salesperson (who is a def tech fan) had tried to steer me away from the Paradigms saying that Def Tech gave way more for the money but I just could not hear it. I guess everyone DOES hear things differently.

Kelly,

You're right, everyone does hear things differently. Remember, though, that it is difficult to compare components unless the setup is exactly the same. Listening to different speakers in different rooms with different music and probably different amps, pre/pros and volume levels makes the comparison virtually impossible.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I owned Def Tec DR7s for 10 years (not bipolar ). I always thought they sounded great for the price. They were close to $700 CAN when i bought them 10 years ago. I just bought Paradigm Monitor 7s for about the same price. There just is no comparison. The studio 40s were even better bet out of my price range.

There is no longer a local dealer for Def Tech around here and many people love them but I'm with you I am happy with the value for the $ you get with Paradigm

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
back when it was introduced, the DR7 was a pretty impressive speaker for the money. I bought a pair of BP8 for my dad back in '95, and it was as good a full range speaker you could get then for what I paid ($700US). Frankly, even today, I don't think there are a lot of $700 speakers that sound better overall than the BP8. By over all I mean, not just the tonal character and clarity, but also imaging, dynamic range, dynamic capability, bass extension, etc.

However, I can't warm to the def techs with built in powered subs. I admit that its a prejudice, not an opinion based on critical listening. I really should open my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks