What's new

Weird video effect in Star Trek TNG Season 1 (1 Viewer)

David Burns

Auditioning
I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted here -- I've learned a lot, and appreciate your contributions!

I also wanted to followup and say I watched the next episode (The Naked Now) and the problem seemed to be less prevalent than in "Encounter at Farpoint".

-DB

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I've been reading about combs on this forum for, about two years. What exactly IS a comb?

I see a burst of noise every so often on some DVDs (this one, and OZ Season one.) It's like a frame of white with staggered thick black lines. I *never* see it on movies. I cannot remember if I see it on the Sopranos, but I'm thinking not. I do NOT see it on the Twin Peaks DVDs.

I also see it when watching Queer as Folk and Beggars and Choosers on Showtime. Beggars and Choosers is probably the worst offender.

Playing with the film/video thing on my DVD does help on these TV shows. However, this does not explain what I am seeing on TiVO/Showtime. Is it overly compressed video?

Anyone else see this?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Wow, how many Dave/Davids are going to be involved with this thread? :)
cheers!
Josh

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I just had a similar problem yesterday while watching "Too Short A Season" (Disc 4 Episode 4). The video skipped a bunch of times between 26 minutes and the end (including an important scene where Jameson explains his background with Karnas to Picard) and also did what it did in David's screenshot above a few times before going back to normal. Has this happened to anyone else on this episode?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks