What's new

Weird prolblem with DLP (2 Viewers)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
So I'm watching Curious George with my kids a few nights ago. During the scene where George invents and turns on a larger than life projector my screen starts to flicker. I didn't realize that wasn't just part of the film effects - until the screen goes into a GREEN SHADES ONLY tint.

It would make sense that maybe this is a picture tube problem - except that it is a DLP! WTF?

Of course I turned it off right away and we watched the rest on the RPTV. A few days later I turned on the projector to watch a photo show (From PC) and no problems - then checked my DVD and it is fine too.

How weird is that?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
there's one obvious place to look for the trouble, and one less obvious.

Obvious: color wheel started to stall (flicker), and then did stall, ending on the green window. (Remember, DLP uses sequential color; RGB or RGB+white are the common wheels.)

Less obvious: signal processing failure, and just needed to reset the system (power-off/on cycle.) Much less likely, much less obvious.

Question: did you hear anything from the unit in question?

Leo

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I didn't hear anything. I'll just have to keep an eye on things. IT is only about three years old. (NEC LT260) Though the prospect of getting a 16X9 projector has some appeal. Maybe it's almost EBAY time.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Time to resurrect this thread. My DLP started having trouble again. I found if I turned it off then on again the flickering and green tint went away for about 10 minutes. I thought I'd check inside and see if the fan or airflow was gunked up. It was clean. I cleaned the color wheel. When I reassembled the box all I got was a screen with 20-40 vertical black and white lines. I try pressing the buttons and the screen does not change. Power button does not turn it off - it just flashes green. The manual says error codes are a red light. I have to use the hard button on the back to power it off.
I can't imagine I did anything to cause a complete failure. The only thing that went wrong was the speaker wires snapped off the speaker when I removed the case. I doubt the speaker is related to the video problem.

The bulb is still working. I removed and reinserted it. It will need replacement soon though. I've had it 4 years. All I can think of now is that if I send it in it will cost $300-$500 to repair and another $400 for a bulb. I'd sure like to know if anyone can help me guess what is wrong before I throw in the towel and sell it as scrap...

When you initially described it, it sounded like possibly a bad cable. Are you using HDMI or component?

The vertical lines may be a result of your poking around the internals. If they almost look like a big bar code, then it's likely a board problem. Sometimes it's temporary, as in a result of moisture that will clear up when it "dries", but it could be catastrophic failure meaning a new board is required.

After a reboot, did the lines go away?

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
Our DLP just went green (Samsung HLP model). This has been diagnosed as a bad digital board. We are waiting on replacement so I can't verify that this is the fix. Basically the display has lost all reds (all inputs including OSD). What's left makes nearly everything look greenish. So far we are covered by extended maintenance contract. Don't usually get them but glad I did as part is around $400 not including installation.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks