What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8/24/04 (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
My trip to Best Buy today:

Picked up The Munsters for $29.99 (pm'ed CC and a $5 Reward Zone coupon)! :emoji_thumbsup:

No display for the Midnite Movies , but they did have them in the Horror section. No Abominable Dr. Phibes/Rises Again. :thumbsdown:

Only about 12-15 of the titles were available.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Will try again tomorrow when I have the day off.

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
GarySchrock, I'm guessing that the date on the DVD coupon must be a typo because all of the other coupons in the book are valid from 8/1/04 until 12/31/04! My local BB had a ton of the coupon books left so I snatched three.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Every Costco seems to stock titles on their own - even the stores near each other have differing items. There are titles I can only find in the Mission Valley/San Diego store for example, and others only in the Burbank/L.A. or the Marina Del Rey/L.A. outlets.

Only the major new titles for the week, or something like the Disney Tins seem to show up in all the locations.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well around here, all the Costcos seem to carry everything that gets mentioned, at least before. So let me ask, has anyone found World at War at Costco?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
OH MY GOD!!!

I found Fry's tonight, and I was not psychologically prepare to enter that store, or wander around in it.

I don't know if the sales dude was pulling my leg or not, but he said the store has 140,000 square feet of retail space. That's frikkin' insane!!!

I was exhausted from just browsing the aisles for DVDs, TVs, digital cameras, HT setups, and magazines. I briefly walked through the Computer area, but it was just too much for one visit, so I left after an hour of wandering around and browsing.

For local Atlantans, the store is located just SouthEast of Sears at Gwinnett Place Mall.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

That's about the same size as a large, non-SuperCenter Wal-Mart. Or a Target. Very large for just a home electronics store.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Us Fry's regulars like to tell newbies that the place will just "make you stoopid." It can really overwhelm you.

But watch those prices! On newspaper ad specials they offer some remarkably low pricing. For things not on sale, they frequently can be higher than most other electronics places.

DVD pricing is all over the place. For example I found the Tarzan box set from Warners for $39.99 there, most other dealers are at around $45/$49. And today locally Fry's had Futurama Vol. 4 at $27.99, while Best Buy had it at $32.99. You can reseach some (not all) of their pricing ahead of time at Outpost.com.

I love the place, and thanks to their specials built a computer on my own for a fraction of what it would have cost me otherwise. But the days of getting a deal on one item only to overpay on a few impulse buys are over now that I watch everything more carefully.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

The flagship Sunnyvale store has an expresso lounge in it along with a guy playing a Steinway. The expresso lounge is bigger than any Starbucks I've ever seen. What's the "theme" of the Atlanta store? Around here there are ancient Egypt, Aztec ruins, wild west, etc. themed Frys stores.

Welcome to Frys. Leave your sanity at the door. Also your expectations of being treated well by the staff.

Frys is the store you love to hate. I've sworn off on them dozens of time, only to be suckered back in on some incredible special offer......

Dillon*G

Second Unit
At my local Best Buy, Boy Meets World:S1 rang up $35.99.
Also at one of the stores mentioned in the round up I picked up Invader Zim Vol. 2 early for $15.99.I was also saddened today because I couldn't find any copies of Kolchak. :frowning:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's a Fry's near my parents and I don't go there often. When I have I've found it rather uncomfortable with the dim lighting and less than tidy product displays. I don't know if other stores are the same, but I just haven't been too impressed by this warehouse store that feels more like warehouse than retail store. Of course the prices are another matter entirely.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
:laugh:

While not a very kind application, a truly funny one though. :D I buy a lot of dvds from Fry's. I can't get over there very often but when I do there always seem to be great specials on dvds I'm wanting and prices that just make me buy!

It's a strange staff they have here but pretty helpful in finding you the disc you want too.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I've been in a few Fry's in CA (including the original Sunnyvale location back in 1989), and the Dallas & north Houston locations. It can be overwhelming.

The current Houston store is over an hour's drive from my house in the Clear Lake/NASA area, and it's not really worth it to drive up there too often. But...

I've been watching this large building with some odd accents going up for the past few months just a mile up I-20 from my exit (almost right next door to the Cinemark). I had my suspicions, and the newspaper confirmed them last week.

Houston's 2nd Fry's is coming, and it's just about 5 minutes from my house.

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I'm doomed. :D

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
One just opened a couple months ago in Downers Grove, Il (west Chicago suburbs). It's off I-355 , Butterfield Rd exit. They have some deals but opening weekend was exceptionally good. I have to say I haven't seen the good sale items ever out of stock yet. Their big ad comes out every week in the Friday Sun Times, with smaller ones on Sat, Sun & Wed. (nowhere online to see the ads though).

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I tried to warn you guys that I saw "Ella" at a Costco a week early in Full Screen only. It is odd, Costco, at least in this region tends to favor Widescreen, usually buying titles in about a 60/40 ratio in favor of Widescreen.

Although, Wasn't "Ella" initially supposed to be released in Full Screen only? Maybe Costco ordered their stock before Disney/Miramax decided to issue a Widescreen edition.
Also, at least on Amazon, the FF version is killing the WS version with a sales rank of 51 to somewhere in the neighborhood of 350. That can't be right under normal circumstances, so maybe it has to do with the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks