What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8/24/04 (1 Viewer)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
"Get a DVD highlighting the new NBC fall tv lineup. No purchase required. Limit one per customer. Min. 30 per store. No rainchecks. In-store only."

Do this Peter, go to the Best Buy site and pull up the weekly ad for your zip code - then pull it up again for mine (90069). I'll bet the wording is the same. If so just pick up a flyer at the store (or print it out from the site) and go back and see the manager. The clerk sounds wrong to me.

Check you receipt again too - total up all the other items you purchased w/o the NBC disc and see how it adds up.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
At my BB the NBC disks were on the rack next to the apprentice and the sign said the NBC disk was free with any DVD purchase limit one per customer.
I picked it up and it rang through as $.01 same as the Maxim disk.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Sorry guys, gotta side with Best Buy on this one. It does NOT state that the preview DVD is free, it states: "Get a DVD Highlighting The New NBC Fall TV Lineup. No Purchase Required. Limit One Per Customer. yada yada yada" (OK, I put in the "yada" part.)

If you look at the other offers they state (for example): "Exclusive MAXIM DVD Instantly, When You Buy The Girl Next Door. yada yada yada" (Italics are mine.)

If in fact it is a free item with the purchase of a certain title(s), they would have been smart to include that info and avoid any confusion. Believe me, and this is not meant to offend anyone that misunderstood the ad, after working in retail 20+ years I can tell you that people only see what they want to see.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Regardless of what they wanted to imply in the ad they are crazy if they think that anyone is going to pay for a dvd that is just a promo for upcoming tv shows. If it had full episodes from the new fall lineup I could see trying to charge people for it but not for fluff. My Bestbuy only was giving them out for free if you bought The Apprentice and had them labeled as $4.99 otherwise.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's what was happening at my local Wal-Mart (East Greenbush, NY -- near Albany) tonight:

Apprentice - Season 1: $34.87
Ella Enchanted: $15.87
Disney's 3 Musketeers: $15.86
Laws of Attraction: $15.84
Girl Next Door ("R" only): $15.86
Clifford: $19.86
Dogville: $15.76
10.5: $14.36
Futurama Vol. 4: $35.42
Dallas - Seasons 1 & 2: $38.62
Boy Meets World - S 1: $32.72
Boa vs. Python: $19.76
Godzilla Monster War Trilogy: $9.96
Shaolin Soccer: $14.44

If anyone is still interested in the Disney title the Three Musketeers, I would recommend going to Wal-Mart and using the $3 coupon I posted in a separate thread in Coupons and Bargains.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also just upgraded the RoundUp grid to include two Target prices (I made the rounds tonight!) which were not included in their flyer this week:

Boy Meets World - S1: $34.99
Munsters - S1: $39.99

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
the copies of the preview at my BB did not have any prices tagged, it scanned at .01, when I checked my receipt it had rung up like a bundle purchase paired off with my copy of Shaolin Soccer, which was price matched to CC.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Bad experience today at the Milford, CT BB. I went there for the GND/Maxim combo (they had plenty of Maxim discs when I was there around 6PM-ish). I got those, the NBC preview disc (which was in the Apprentice display, stickered $4.99, but rang up for a penny at the register), and Reefer Madness (which I had been wanting to get and decided to with a coupon), using the 20% off DVDs coupon in tne Madden 2004 coupon book (which they still had a number of copies of on the computer station between the CD and DVD sections).

So I went to the register with everything in hand. He rang up all the items, then the coupon, and the total came to $25.xx which seemed too high to me, so I asked if the coupon came off both DVDs, to which he replied "yes." So I gave him the money, but I checked my receipt before leaving the register, much to the chagrin of the people in line behind me who would have to wait ~15 minutes because the coupon (which is good on up to any 3 DVDs) only came off GND not RM, coupled with the ineptitude of the cashier and his supervisor. She comes up, scans the items at the register next to us to see the prices of the discs, then delivers my favorite line of the night after ringing up one of the freebies: "The 20% didn't come off of it because it's free." (Surprisingly, even though I read the Roundup weekly, I'm not cheap enough to actually demand a 20% discount on a freebie :D) So, ultimately, after they (between the 2 of them) figure out how to do it about 15 minutes later, both discs were discounted. If it wasn't for the coupon, I wouldn't even go there, I just don't like that company - they have some of the worst employees in retail IMO (no personal offense to anyone here who works there, but that's been my experience in the BBs where I've shopped). But it was worth it because I ended up getting GND and the Maxim disc for $14.36 plus tax and the Reefer Madness disc for $7.99 plus tax, and the NBC freebie. Not a bad deal.
The second receipt I got, after he fixed the price, invited me to call their 800 number and take a customer satisfaction survey - not a good move on their part. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh:

Doesn't seem all like ALL too bad an experience, Scott! I understand your frustration, but alls well that ends well, eh? ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

well theres my receipt.

my store has tons of those madden books.
lots of coupons for games but nothing for dvd's.
what page is that coupon on?

GarySchrock

Second Unit
You know, I saw one of those coupon books (I have to assume it's the same one that everyone else has been talking about, there were a couple sitting next to the display for madden), but here's the thing I can't figure out. I'm sitting here looking at the coupon that I found (it was something like the last page), and it says good through 3/6/04. How you folks getting them to take it? (Now, I have to admit, I was going to try to pass it off on farscape, and didn't expect to have any luck, but after looking at the date I didn't even bother to try).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just found out a new Fry's opened near my neck of the woods. Can't wait to score some of those new week releases deals like those on the west coast with Fry's.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick: How could you have missed that news? I'da thunk you'da been there when the doors opened! :D

I am envious of you folks that have Fry's and CostCo (and Sonic Drive-Ins--but that's a different story!) when I see some of the DVD prices reported here.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dunno, but it's on the other side of the mall near me, so I rarely see that side for new store openings, plus I don't read the newspaper as much as I should, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks