What's new

Weekly RoundUp 7-31-2012 (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Thanks, Todd.  A link has been added to the OP.
==============
And, I have updated Amazon's price on The Seven Year Itchhttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
(a great film).  They have dropped it from a surprisingly low $9.95 to an even more surprising $8.86!  This one I ordered (instead of the big Blu Marilyn collection) figuring that I would wait for similar good prices on Gentlmen Prefer Blondes and How to Marry a Millionaire.
That's one crazy low price!
Apparently Walmart has all the new individual MM releases on sale for 9.96 which makes me hate myself since now I actually have to got there unless Amazon will PM Walmart in the next 24 hours.
I don't think the website lists it at this price, but several people have confirmed the instore price at least in their Zip code. Of course WM is one of the few national chains where instore prices
can sometime vary even in the same city and of course who knows if it's in stock (I never expect that in my local stores for any decent BD).
The Seven Year Itch
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
How to Marry a Millionaire
River of No Return
There's No Business Like Show Business

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David:

You are my hero! Excellent news!

I will be off to W-M tomorrow (if possible) to pick up How to Marry a Millionaire and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

====================

Hmmmmmm. I just checked their website and both titles come up as $18.86. Seven Year Itch is $8.86. None of them show up as being in my "local store."

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
David:
You are my hero!  Excellent news!  :D
I will be off to W-M tomorrow (if possible) to pick up How to Marry a Millionaire and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
====================
Hmmmmmm.  I just checked their website and both titles come up as $18.86.  Seven Year Itch is $8.86.  None of them show up as being in my "local store."
I've never found WM instore to be very accurate in general particularly for new release Movie. The WM online preorder was what Amazon used to bring their 7 Year itch down to the 8.86
price. The good news is there are at least 1/2 dozen reports of people getting the discs at this price today. As an alternative, 4 of the 5 are reported at some Costco's at 9.99 (River in MIA
however and that actually might be my favorite other than 7 Year Itch). As bad as my WM are locally, my Costco's seem to never have any decent Blurays in stock.
The absolute horrible 1st reviews and the Forever Marilyn 'boxset' have many people up in arms and fuming that Fox would treat the MM releases this badly. I don't have it, but the
1st pictures show it to be beyond cheap and basically an insult to the memory of Ms Monroe and a slap at her fans. it is particularly appalling in light of some of the gorgeous
international sets being released. I was already leaning toward the individual releases for the case art and since I already have Misfits and Some Like It Hot, but some of those
early posts sealed it in spades if I can get the new 5 for the same price as the Boxset.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Apparently Walmart has all the new individual MM releases on sale for 9.96 which makes me hate myself since now I actually have to got there unless Amazon will PM Walmart in the next 24 hours.
I don't think the website lists it at this price, but several people have confirmed the instore price at least in their Zip code. Of course WM is one of the few national chains where instore prices
can sometime vary even in the same city and of course who knows if it's in stock (I never expect that in my local stores for any decent BD).
The Seven Year Itch
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
How to Marry a Millionaire
River of No Return
There's No Business Like Show Business
I can confirm this.

All five titles (of which my store only had about three copies) were $9.96.

So, Amazon today delivered my $8.86 copy of The Seven Year Itch and I picked up copies of Gentlmen, How to Marry and There's No Business at W-M. I wasn't expecting to get There's No Business...but, I figured, at that price...I'd give it a go. Those are the only titles out of that collection I would have wanted anyway...and I am in at half the price.

The absolute horrible 1st reviews and the Forever Marilyn 'boxset' have many people up in arms and fuming that Fox would treat the MM releases this badly. I don't have it, but the
1st pictures show it to be beyond cheap and basically an insult to the memory of Ms Monroe and a slap at her fans. it is particularly appalling in light of some of the gorgeous
international sets being released. I was already leaning toward the individual releases for the case art and since I already have Misfits and Some Like It Hot, but some of those
early posts sealed it in spades if I can get the new 5 for the same price as the Boxset.

Are the "horrible reviews" you refer to David just based upon the packaging of the big set? I hope the films themselves look okay. What's the word?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I can confirm this.
All five titles (of which my store only had about three copies) were $9.96.
So, Amazon today delivered my $8.86 copy of The Seven Year Itch and I picked up copies of Gentlmen, How to Marry and There's No Business at W-M.  I wasn't expecting to get There's No Business...but, I figured, at that price...I'd give it a go.  Those are the only titles out of that collection I would have wanted anyway...and I am in at half the price.  :tu:
Are the "horrible reviews" you refer to David just based upon the packaging of the big set?  I hope the films themselves look okay.  What's the word?
Yes the packaging is what I am speaking of. The reviews of the actual movies and supplements seem to be pretty nice overall including the one here on HTF and
at Bluray,com. A slightly oversized boxset barely thicker than a DVD with those awful 1/3 height cheap cardboard holders which of course never actually hold the disc and always
run the risk of scratching the discs sicne the surface is in direct contact with non even the glossy cardboard. Virtually no inserts, the stylist no color set.
On the plus side, I did decide to drift over to Walmart and found all 5 I needed -- I didn't order 7 Year itch since it was only a buck cheaper and 7-10 later by the time i even looked. I was
holding a little hope that BBY would have them at a decent price to use the U&S coupons, but BBY has zero in stock and not even the Full Set that they usually carry at least some.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
According to Walmat.com my local store doesn't have any, but when I called they said they had plenty, so I will be heading there tomorrow.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dint see if it was mentioned but I saw at least five MM blus at Costco Tuesday , $9.99

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Adam Gregorich said:
According to Walmat.com my local store doesn't have any, but when I called they said they had plenty, so I will be heading there tomorrow.
I don't see a store checker for Walmart, alli see is a ship to store option. :confused:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
I don't see a store checker for Walmart, alli see is a ship to store option.
When you search the site for a product, Tony...there are tabs at the top of the page to see what the price/availability is for your local store (something you need to enter at the W-M home page).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/322593/weekly-roundup-7-31-2012#post_3957022
Finally got the Forever Marilyn review up, and it can be found here.

And quite the review it is, Matt! Very informative and complete. You must've been busy in the old HTF basement this past week. The link has been added to the OP.

I'm glad I was able to get the single discs I wanted outside the set at such a good price. Am spinning up How to Marry a Millionaire as I type this. I had forgotten about the orchestral intro to the film. Very classy.

The fact that it is in CinemaScope makes me glad for the upcoming holidays. My wife is being fairly adamant (I kid you not!) that I "go bigger" with my TV. I am expecting to jump from my current 32" set to something in the 50" range. Let the shopping begin! I think I'll have a CinemaScope marathon when it happens!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mike Frezon said:
Am spinning up How to Marry a Millionaire as I type this.  I had forgotten about the orchestral intro to the film.  Very classy.
The whole reason for that orchestral intro was to showcase CinemaScope and stereophonic sound, because even though HTMAM was the second CinemaScope movie released, it was actually the first one to be filmed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the entire film last night. The directional audio was awesome (as was that entire on-screen orchestral overture). But even the directional dialogue really stood out.

The special features, however, did not play correctly for me. They are displayed in just the upper left-hand corner of my screen.

I guess it's time to check for a firmware update for my Panasonic player...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think we all need to write in to Fox and let them know how much we despise this type of packaging. They did this with Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis Complete Series DVD sets (but, ironically, not on the Stargate Atlantis Complete Series Blu-ray set), and immediately had to create my own cases for them (and there are tons of complaints on Amazon regarding the packaging as well). Universal and Warner Bors. have used this packaging recently, as well, and I just don't get why they think this is "special."

Originally Posted by David Norman /t/322593/weekly-roundup-7-31-2012#post_3957009
Yes the packaging is what I am speaking of. The reviews of the actual movies and supplements seem to be pretty nice overall including the one here on HTF and at Bluray,com. A slightly oversized boxset barely thicker than a DVD with those awful 1/3 height cheap cardboard holders which of course never actually hold the disc and always run the risk of scratching the discs sicne the surface is in direct contact with non even the glossy cardboard. Virtually no inserts, the stylist no color set.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr /t/322593/weekly-roundup-7-31-2012/30#post_3957256
Although not listed in this week's Round Up, my review of The Faculty is now up and can be found here.

This is a headscratcher, Todd. This title wasn't on any of my new release lists. Amazon shows a BD of The Faculty that was released in 2010. And, it DOES show a re-release (apparently) with a 7-31-12 date. It is listing for $10.99.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
:confused:
This is a headscratcher, Todd.  This title wasn't on any of my new release lists.  Amazon shows a BD of The Faculty that was released in 2010.  And, it DOES show a re-release (apparently) with a 7-31-12 date.  It is listing for $10.99.http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
The 2010 is a more than mediocre Alliance release, The new release is much better, but it has been available at BBY for a month or more for 5.99 so I guess the official release date kind of got lost.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DavidJ /t/322593/weekly-roundup-7-31-2012/30#post_3957316
Go bigger Mike!
That's the plan, David! It really was my wife's idea.

A bunch of us chipped-in and got my son--who just graduated from college--a 47" display. And, my 82-year old Mom just went out and got my 80-year old dad a 42" HD display (replacing his 24" 4:3 CRT!). Even my wife is feeling bad for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks