What's new

Weekly Roundup 5/28 (aka the Harry Potter edition) (1 Viewer)

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I would hope the compusa ad is for widescreen and full screen. They list both stock #'s so if they say that symbol only applies to the fullscreen, I will leave it at the counter and go to K-mart for a price match (they don't haggle or call to check on stuck at the matching store).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I won't repeat this, so listen up: CompUSA has a sign up - in section - that states that the sale price is good for both versions of Harry Potter. The wording is non-ambiguous. Furthermore, the salespeople there assured me that the $9.97 price is good for both formats.

Kevin Clemons

Stunt Coordinator
david,

Not sure if she looks that good but there is a scene involving..umm...a sex toy....that should please die hard fans.

Kevin

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
but there is a scene involving..umm...a sex toy....that should please die hard fans.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I'm sooooo there!!!!
We need more of THAT...that's what I'm talking about! Yessir!!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
I love Prepon too, and her scene is the only reason to own this DVD!
;)
Great job with this Memorial Day edition! I gotta get that Starship Troopers SE!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding Best Buy's 10% price match guarantee, remember that it is 10% of the DIFFERENCE in price.
So for instance, if BB price is $16.99, 10% of the difference would be 70 cents.
FYI:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, if you call your local CompUSA, they should already have Harry Potter in stock. Of course, they're not going to sell it until they open tomorrow. But, my local manager was nice to offer this figure....
They got in 18 widescreen copies for sell, along with 105 FULL-SCREEN versions. I voiced my displeasure with their ordering, and the manager couldn't understand either why they would send such a skewed margin of FS versions. Either way....it looks like a lot more FS one's are gonna get sold, especially at that $9.99 price with a free mouse pad.
Similar story here, Kyle. After reading this, I checked with my local CompUSA's mgr-on-duty, and told him up-front that I preferred WS (he does too), and that I was concerned as to how many copies of each format he's getting tomorrow at that terrific price. He promptly offered to check for me.
He stated that they were getting 17 WS copies in (what do you wanna bet it's 18, but one's put aside for him?). He flat out refused to say how many FS copies were coming, but stated that it was a LOT, "probably due to the overwhelming demand for FS from their customers". :angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For more details, see the separate CompUSA thread, but in short my local CompUSA sold out in 10-15 minutes, and I was late, so I went across the street to K-Mart with an ad. The lady on the express lane said they wouldn't price match that movie for anyone, but I checked the customer service counter and they said they would pricematch 1 copy since I had the ad with me. $9.97; not bad! :D

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the CompUSA in Portland only had P&S in stock, but the Fry's in Wilsonville pricematched no questions asked. the employees seemed to be expecting it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
David:

I'd normally PM this, but do the first 210 episodes no longer exist? Or was a conscious decision made to start with #211?

40 episodes for $50 is very tempting...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The CompUSA I went to only put out the P&S version of HP and you had to ask for the Wide screen version, which was behind the counter.

I waited in line and was one of the first people in the store and I forgot to pick up the darn mouse pad which they only had fifteen or so to begin with.

So two interesting things happened while waiting in line to check out. One person asked if I really wanted the Wide screen because he wanted to trade me for his P&S version. "Sorry not interested."

Then I noticed that stored personnel were giving away the Lego set instead of the mouse pad so I was able get that instead.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The very earliest episodes of DARK SHADOWS, before the introduction of vampire Barnabas Collins. These episodes tell the story of young Victoria Winters, an orphan who becomes governess at Collinwood and seeks clues to her true identity, while becoming entangled in a web of intrigue.
I assume these will only see the light of day on DVD if the much-more-popular episodes that include Barnabas end up selling worth a darn. From what I've heard, we're not missing much in the meantime! ;)
Go get this set; you'll probably enjoy it!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David--
Forgive me if I've missed this posted somewhere else, but I had the same story as most people. I called my CompUSA to ask if I should bother showing up on my lunch hour. The manager-on-duty told me they were sold out in the first hour of their 100 copies.
So, I went to BestBuy and got my copy there. BestBuy this week is also running a sale which says if you buy any two "Family" DVDs you get $2 off the total sale. If you buy 3 "Family" titles, you get five dollars off. So, I "needed" a couple of other "Family" titles anyway :D ...and got another $1.67 off BestBuy's 16.99 price.
I guess between this and their Memoprial Day "Action" film 10% off sale, we may be seeing a new trend on BB DVD sales, huh?

Daniel Smith

Auditioning
My story was the same, CompUsa was out. However, I went to my local Walmart armed with the ad for a price matchand what do I see at the front door. HP for $9.96! Both P& S and Widescreen. (VHS too). So I guess they're not losing much on it at that price as I'm sure Walmart wouldn't sell it for a loss.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it's Wal-Mart policy to have the lowest price available. They even have promos that say "we shop our competitor's ads so you don't have to!" So, technically, anyone with a Wal-Mart and a CompUSA in the same market shouldn't have had to "price-match" as Wal-Mart should have already lowered their prices based on the CompUSA ad.

At the in-store display, Wal-Mart should have had a sign up with a copy of the CompUSA ad showing that WM was beating their competitor's price (even if by only 1 cent).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks