What's new

Weekly Roundup 1/14 (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again.
I was able to pick up Fear Dot Com, Undercover Brother(WS), and Blue Crush(WS) at Circuit City. Of course they had two flip cards with "About A Boy: Widescreen." Not one copy of the DVD, and they actually place the P&S copies behind the card as if they were WS. Fortunately, Best Buy let me price match it for 15.99. :D

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Also struck out at getting a copy of the Widescreen "About A Boy" at Circuit City. (They had plenty of Fool Screen ones, however.)

(And the store had such a nice display/selection of 16 x 9 RPTVs all fired up. Too bad they don't carry products that will show them off best!)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
re: About a Boy....

Burlington, MA Circuit City also only stocked full screen. Apparently the staff had no idea if they were getting any WS. Sounds like either CC had a problem getting its WS copies or that they chose not to stock WS on this release, which would be a very bad thing if they decide to go down that road....

Bleddyn

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
So how do we go about claiming the universal free dvd offer if we don't purchase them from Best Buy?
If you are talking about the Buy 2, Get 2 free offer, you don't need to buy them from Best Buy. You just have to buy 2 of the eligible titles, fill out the forms that comes with the dvd and send it in.

Here are the 4 eligible titles.

When consumers purchase any two of the following DVDs - ABOUT A BOY, BLUE CRUSH, UNDERCOVER BROTHER, and THE BOURNE IDENTITY - between January 1, 2003 and April 21, 2003, they will receive two FREE DVDs from Universal.

I got Undercover Brother from Borders and the DVD had the free DVD offer right inside the cover.

Joe

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Marc,
Are you aware that Walmart will pricematch those DVDs if you show them the ad? In your post, you mention they were $18.xx each. Take back your receipt and the ad and they should credit you. If not, I'd find a store that will.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Joseph, how did Best Buy let you pricematch "About a Boy" with the Circuit City ad? If I recall the ad, it only says "Low Price" next to the DVD. Does BB call CC to verify the $15.99 price?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I saw two widescreen copies of About a Boy and one widescreen Undercover Brother at Circuit City yesterday. I bought one of each. They had plenty of full screen copies of both.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Tried another Circuit City for the Widescreen "About A Boy", but no luck again. (The clerk sounded rather proud that they had plenty of full screen versions...as if that's what everybody buys.) Walked across the street and price-matched at Best Buy for a widescreen version at $15.99. Clerk didn't bother to call or question what the "hot price" was--she just rang it up at the discounted price. Maybe she'd been doing it all day?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, how did Best Buy let you pricematch "About a Boy" with the Circuit City ad? If I recall the ad, it only says "Low Price" next to the DVD. Does BB call CC to verify the $15.99 price?
I was already at the service desk getting a replacement for the Buffy Set (Add another to the 2nd DVD loose + scratched pile, fortunately my first set had just DVD #1 loose and marred.)

Anyways, the clerk called up Circuit City and verified the price and title just not WS versus FS I assume.

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Also Blockbuster will price match any price on DVD's. Just bring in the Ad from sunday. This is good for a lot of people since there is a blockbuster on every corner it seems.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Jason:
What are the last four letters of your last name? :D
Is there a filter running on the names?

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
My Circuit City had NONE of the widescreen "About A Boy" DVDs either. They even had the full screens in the widescreen slot. They ended up taking the widescreen tag off the shelf. They said they "might" get some in later!?

Best Buy only had a couple of widescreens hidden behind their full screen copies!? (and the widescreen is 2.35:1)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Unofficial word I've gotten is that CC and Uni had a problem - no details passed to me, and probably never will - that prevented them (CC) from getting the wide copies.

Just go get it pricematched somewhere.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I guess I lucked out at the Circuit City in Whitehall, PA. They had widescreen copies of About a Boy, but only half a dozen or so. There were, however, about two dozen fullscreen copies :frowning: on the shelf. They had plenty of widescreen Blue Crush (nice little movie, awesome transfer and sound) and Undercover Brother. I had to visit Borders for a copy of How Green Was My Valley though. Niether Best Buy nor Circuit City had it in stock. Border's had it priced at $14.99.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I mistakenly purchased the FULL SCREEN version of About A Boy yesterday at Circuit City. I was in such a rush that I didn't notice my errror until I got home. Thankfully, I did not open the packaging, so I am planning on returning this awful thing today.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I'll probably be hitting another Circuit City on the way home tonight, just in case they've since got any WS copies.

Has anybody re-tried a FS-carrying Circuit City since Tuesday and found WS?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I called my local CC to see if they had any WS About A Boy in stock and they do not. The employee that I spoke with said that he wasn't sure if/when the store would be getting any in. Looks like I might have to exchange elsewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks