Weekly RoundUp 1-12-2016 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Posted Image

The Features

– The Martian – 2015

– Mr. Robot: Season 1 – 2015

– Silvana Mangano & Doris Dowling (Bitter Rice – 1949) 

– Hotel Transylvania 2 – 2015

– The American Friend – 1977

– The Knack and How To Get It – 1965

– How I Won the War – 1967

The Prices

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target
American Friend, The (Criterion)  $22.99
Army Dog (Lions Gate)  $19.98
Bitter Rice (Criterion)  $13.99
Captain Jake and the Neverland Pirates: The Great Never Sea Conquest (Walt Disney)  $14.99
Clearstream Affair, The (First Run Pictures)  $17.99
Fear No Fruit (Kino)  $17.99
Figures in a Landscape (Kino)  $12.49
Flutter (Xlrator)  $14.99
Hands Of The Ripper (Synapse)  $19.95
Hill Street Blues: The Final Season (Shout! Factory)  $34.93
Hotel Transylvania 2 (Sony)  $19.99 $16.99 $17.99
How to Smell A Rose (Kino)  $13.99
Howl (2015) (Alchemy)  $13.99
Image Revolution, The (Shout! Factory)  $14.99
In The Basement (Strand)  $27.99
Irrational Man (Sony)  $19.99
Look of Silence, The (Cinedigm)  $24.99
Love Finds You in Charm (Anchor Bay)  $14.99
Making Rounds (First Run Pictures)  $17.99
Martian, The (Fox)  $19.99 $17.99 $15.99
Mosquito-Man (Big Screen Entertainment)  $29.95
Mr. Robot: Season One (Universal)  $32.99 $24.99 $22.99
Painkillers (Image)  $14.98
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (Paramount)  $19.99 $17.99
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (Image)  $11.99
Roughshod $21.99
Second Mother, The (Oscilloscope)  $34.99
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride $16.99 $12.99
Sinister 2 (Universal)  $19.99 $16.99
Station West $21.99
Sweaty Betty (Breaking Glass Pictures)  $21.99
This Changes Everything (Video Services Corp)  $11.95
Uncle John (Kino)  $13.99
Wild Bill Hickok Rides $21.99
Wonder Years, The (Season 4) (StarVista Entertainment)  $35.96
The Younger Brothers $21.99

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target
American Friend, The (Blu-ray) (Criterion)  $27.99
Are We There Yet? (Blu-ray) (Mill Creek)  $8.99
Bed Sitting Room, The (Blu-ray) (Kino)  $16.49
Bitter Rice (Blu-ray) (Criterion)  $22.99
Bolero / Ghosts Can't Do It (Blu-ray) (Shout! Factory)  $28.49
Contracted: Phase II (Blu-ray) (Shout! Factory)  $28.49
Devil Wears Prada, The (10th Anniversary Edition) (Blu-ray) (Fox)  $9.99
Figures in a Landscape (Blu-ray) (Kino)  $16.49
Hotel Transylvania 2 (3-D Blu-ray) (Sony)  $26.99 $27.99 $24.99
Hotel Transylvania 2 (Blu-ray) (Sony)  $19.99 $19.99 $22.99
How I Won the War (Blu-ray) (Kino)  $16.49
Howl (2015) (Blu-ray) (Alchemy)  $12.99
Irrational Man (Blu-ray) (Sony)  $24.99
Knack, The...and How to Get It (Blu-ray) (Kino)  $15.99
Look of Silence, The (Blu-ray) (Cinedigm)  $29.93
Maison Close (Season Two) (Blu-ray) (Music Box)  $39.95
Martian, The (Blu-ray 3-D) (Fox)  $24.99 $24.99 $24.99
Martian, The (Blu-ray) (Fox)  $22.99 $19.99 $19.99
Mr. Robot: Season One (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $37.99 $29.99
Out 1 $63.29
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (Blu-ray 3-D) (Paramount)  $32.99 $22.99
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (Blu-ray) (Image)  $19.49
Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance $22.48
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride (Blu-ray) (BBC)  $21.99 $17.99
Sinister 2 (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $22.99 $22.99
Stanford Prison Experiment, The (Blu-ray) (MPI)  $9.99
This Changes Everything $14.95

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Best Buy, this week, has EXCLUSIVE SQUISHY BLOBBY TOYS with their copies of Hotel Transylvania 2 on both Blu-ray and DVD.  Also, if you buy Hotel Transylvania 2 WITH Hotel Transylvania ($14.99 Blu-ray combo pack) you save $5.   

--Best Buy also has EXCLUSIVE DECALS with both their Blu-ray and DVD copies of Mr. Robot: Season 1.

--The following Blu-ray releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all $11.99 AND BUY TWO, GET ONE FREE):

Bridesmaids, A Million Ways to Die in the West, Lucy, Nightcrawler.  Up to 35 titles from which to choose.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--Target this week has  EXCLUSIVE GLOW-IN-THE-DARK STICKERS with their Blu copies of Hotel Transylvania 2.  Also, get a FREE POPCORN AND MEDIUM SODA at Target Cafe when you buy any Hotel Transylvania 2 movie.  See movie package for coupon.  Free offer not available at all stores.  Quantities limited.  no rainchecks.

--Target is also advertising EXCLUSIVE BONUS CONTENT with it's Blu-ray release this week of Mr. Robot: Season 1.  20-Minutes of bonus content.

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mike! It's worth noting that both the 3D and 2D Blu-Ray releases of The Martian include a Digital HD copy. Given that, the 2D Blu-Ray is a no-brainer for me at $19.99 at Best Buy or Target.

Hollywoodaholic said:
May have to check out Mr. Robot. How many episodes is the first season?

Ten episodes. It's an excellent show. The only reason I'm not picking it up on Blu-Ray is because the story's dark enough that I don't anticipate revisiting it enough times to be worth the purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up The Martian and Mr. Robot this week.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Hollywoodaholic said:
May have to check out Mr. Robot. How many episodes is the first season?
Based on other shows that you enjoy, I think you'd be into Mr. Robot. There's a real good case to be made that it was the best thing on TV last year and that's coming from a big fan of Better Call Saul, The Leftovers, Mad Men and Parks And Recreation.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Out1 has been pre-ordered since the day it went live.

Flutter looks promising.

And Breaking Glass and Strand continue their rolls. Will pick up their new ones.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Maybe The Martian down the road...still haven't seen it. Otherwise, there's a new CD set coming out this week, so that's going to zap most of my entertainment funds until my next paycheck.

Thanks Mike!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I received an e-mail from Fox informing me I would be receiving a 2D review copy of The Martian this week, and I requested the Sherlock TV-movie for review but have received neither of them yet. Hopefully both are on the way.

I'll get the 3D Hotel Transylvania 2 when the price is more to my liking.

Thanks, Mike!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered the 2-D Blu of The Martian from Target.com when they were running a promotion to pre-order there and get a $10 Target giftcard. I have yet to hear that the item has shipped though... That's okay, though. I'm sure I won't get to it for quite awhile.

Thanks to everyone, in advance, for the "likes" on the OP!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks, Mike. I liked The Martian well enough in theaters but don't really anticipate wanting to revisit it much, and Amazon has a streaming deal for Mr. Robot which I imagine will kick in later this year, so I'll wait to check that out then. Nothing for me this week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, thanks to a case of serious category fraud, The Martian just won two Golden Globes in comedy categories. Releasing the Blu-ray two days later really is a shrewd move.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
The Image Revolution and Bitter Rice are it for me this week.

I wish I could say I'm getting The Martian, but I'm pretty firmly convinced that there's a "bigger" release of The Martian planned for later in the year. This release lacks any of the sort of heft I expect from recent Ridley Scott Blu-ray releases, which have all had some sort of big, juicy making-of doc. I think awards season timing lead to them planning a same-year double dip, where the second will drop in time for next holiday season.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Moises said:
I wish I could say I'm getting The Martian, but I'm pretty firmly convinced that there's a "bigger" release of The Martian planned for later in the year. This release lacks any of the sort of heft I expect from recent Ridley Scott Blu-ray releases, which have all had some sort of big, juicy making-of doc. I think awards season timing lead to them planning a same-year double dip, where the second will drop in time for next holiday season.

Unfortunately, the same could be said for Gone Girl, which with only a commentary is significantly less stacked than usual for David Fincher, but Fox hasn't double dipped that one yet. Just observing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Moises said:
I wish I could say I'm getting The Martian, but I'm pretty firmly convinced that there's a "bigger" release of The Martian planned for later in the year.
The sticker on the slipcover for the 2D Blu-Ray proclaiming "Over 1 Hour of Extras" has to be the saddest such sticker I've seen. Talk about damning your product with faint praise.

That being said, while I'm sure you could make a lot of fascinating special features around this movie, given how near-future the science fiction is, I primarily only care about the movie itself. And Matt's 5/5 on both picture and sound assures me that I have nothing to worry about there.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
JakeLip said:
Unfortunately, the same could be said for Gone Girl, which with only a commentary is significantly less stacked than usual for David Fincher, but Fox hasn't double dipped that one yet. Just observing.

With Lauzirika being so consistently involved on Ridley Scott releases, I feel like a more apt comparison might be to his work on Bay's Pain and Gain, which was completely barebones and then double-dipped the same calendar year. Now, Pain and Gain was nowhere near the awards contender that "Best Comedy" The Martian is, but a common disc mega-producer associated with a director (unless there was some falling out no one heard of nor expected) and a title that collectors would re-buy seems to me like exactly how they prey on us, right out of their Executive Textbook of Villainy. Not that I've asked Charlie personally or anything (because I haven't), but this release feels like a light touch in advance of a holiday quarter "second pass".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks