What's new

Weekly classic movie discussion (TCM Essentials) (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I could be wrong, but I'm almost 100% positive that Karloff played the role on the stage, and thus the joke had that much more of an impact. I might see a version of this on the stage in a few months, and will be curious to see if they still use the name Karloff 60 years later, or if enough people even know that name to get the joke.

I'll post a full review tomorrow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You're correct which is why Karloff in that role would've made the film much funnier in my opinion.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
According to amazon.com Karloff was unable to reprise his role in the film because he was engaged with the play during shooting. That's more coincidental than ironic, but amusing none the less.

BTW, I think Arsenic and Old Lace has an incredibly funny closing line, delivered by the beleaguered cabbie: "I'm not a cab driver, I'm a coffee pot!" It perfectly encapsulates the madcap tone of the film and is right up there with the final lines of Some Like It Hot and The Apartment.

This article from the TCM site contains some fun tidbits.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

What's really amusing is that the movie was filmed during last quarter of 1941, but wasn't released to the general public until September,1944. The original cast members who played the aunts and Teddy on stage played the parts in the film then returned to the stage play until it closed. IMO, Karloff should've been allowed to film the movie because it weaken the film somewhat. Furthermore, Karloff was able to participate in a radio broadcast of the play as well as years later in two television productions of Arsenic and Old Lace. Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk.:)

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Thanks Robert. Yeah, it's a real shame that they didn't get Karloff, as the line comes off a bit more creepy than humorous as it is.

Overall, this is a thoroughly enjoyable comedic romp from Capra. As somebody already pointed out, most of his films seem to have a strong message, but this film is nothing but fun (probably due to the fact that it's an adaptation). I think that's also part of the reason that it's not one of the first titles that people think off, when they think of Capra. Personally, "You Can't Take It With You" is my favorite.

Cary Grant is at his manic best and Josephine Hull fits the role of the goofy old lady so well, that she basically reprises it a few years later in "Harvey", which I also revisited a few weeks ago. It's some of the little repeated business that makes this film so enjoyable to me, such as Teddy charging up the stairs and the aunts having to reset the clock (which seems to always be in the same hour). Pure enjoyable insanity. I wish they could make comedies like this now.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I saw Arsenic for the first time earlier this year, and I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was particularly great. Not sure exactly why, but some of the repeated business got kind of old for me. As far as classic dark comedies about death and murder, my favorite is certainly Kind Hearts and Coronets, although it does have a pretty different approach to the subject matter.

Not much of a fan of You Can't Take It With You. "Essential" Capra for me is definitely It Happened One Night, which I don't think has ever been topped as far as romantic comedies go. For Capra dramas, certainly Mr. Smith and Wonderful Life are well-deserving of their iconic status.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks