webtv user would like to go to HTPC suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Click, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

I have no knowledge of computers, I would like to break from webtv. DVI connection not on HDTV 38 inch RCA. VGA adapter or PQ quality cable S-Video connection?

I wouldn't want it to be easy to heat, I already have one fan running 24/7/365 in HDTV. I am not into gaming, PM or board suggestions appreciated.

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Mike:

They're a tad expensive, but since you said you don't really play games much, you can get an entry level Alienware Navigator system. They should do just about everything you want in a HTPC, without the trouble of building one yourself or using the oversized competing Media Center PCs on the market. It's worth a look:

[​IMG]

3. Mike Click

Brian only PC from Alienware was the 3.06 GHz., in my post I asked for a low to heat PC. 3.06 GHz seen would replace the central heating system. Any others in the 2.2 GHz. range, it doesn't even have to say "Good Morning Dave"~Independance Day [​IMG]

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Mike,

Try this direct link to the Alienware Navigator Brian was talking about: http://www.alienware.com/main/system.../navigator.asp

The base CPU is a 2.53 Ghz P4 for $1697. If that's too much for you Alienware is usually willing to make more serious substitutions if you phone them.

5. Brian Ruth

Mike: Camp's right. Just click Media Center Systems for the basic Alienware Navigator. It doesn't have a DVD-R drive, but it has just about everything else you need in a HTPC. You can ask them about heat produced, but my guess is that it doesn't produce as much heat as a similar desktop. I'm not really sure though.

Good luck with your search... [​IMG]

6. Mike Click

Gentlemen I have *never* heard of Alienware it's that simple? I have never seen their advertisements, I subscribe to some Audio and Video, and Computer Shopper magazines. Doesn't any one on this forum 'go' with any of the above, in this crashing dot com we're living in?

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I don't know where you've been...
    Alienware has been around for some time. They are the Dell of the high-end customized PC market. They're solid and safe to buy from. They even sell their PCs at Best Buy.

-and no, I don't work for them. [​IMG]

8. Mike Click

Camp, I have been looking at a new RCA 56" Scenium even though I own a RCA 38310JX4.

O/T I've been feeling sorry for the astronauts who lost their lives needlessly. IMHO they could have aborted the take off when they seen the damage caused. I couldn't believe they had no gear for a EVA to inspect the damage either.

9. Brian Ruth

Mike: Camp's right. Alienware is a respected brand among high-end computer manufacturers. They often have ads in PC Gamer and other technology magazines, and they do indeed sell their PCs at Best Buy.

You don't have anything to worry about buying from Alienware. [​IMG]

10. Mike Click

I want to thank you Gentlemen for your expertise in Computer Technology. I have printed what you both have told me and I will think about it. Again thank you for your kind responses. [​IMG]

11. Brian Ruth

No prob, Mike. Good luck with your search, and do tell us what you end up with. [​IMG]

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, be sure to come back and show off your new toy!