What's new

WDT: Mickey Mouse in Color DVD Questions (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
First of all, I remember Mickey Mouse in many different styles. There's the old, old, Steamboat Willie kind of Mickey, and then there was the newer ones in color and stuff. I'd rather have the newer ones but I have no idea what kind are in this set.

Here are some of the episodes I liked that I remember. Can anyone tell me if any of these are in the DVD set?:

1. Mickey Mouse plays golf. Pluto quarrels with this bee. Pluto also chews a mouthfull of bubble gum at one point. I think this is also the one where Goofy has a cricket named Wilbur.

2. Mickey and the Beanstalk. You know, the Jack and the Beanstalk story.

3. Mickey and others are in this trailer that goes through these canyons and about falls of the edge of the road.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, I don't have all the answers for you, as I don't have mickey mouse in living color, yet, but I'm fairly certain that the Jack and the Beanstalk episode is not on the set. I believe it's on Fun and Fancy Free.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm,
Well, I'm a wee big foggy right know. I'll try to shake the cobwebs out.
Now, the original Mickey had black oval eyes with little wedges cut out of them. He is referred to as the 'pie-eyed' Mickey.
Now, much later, there as the Mickey that was modeled like he was in Fantasia; that is, with pupils and whites in his eyes.
Was there another Mickey in the middle, where there were no pupils, but the eyes were all black with no whites?
I can't remember. To be honest, I'm more of a fan of stuff from places like Warner, MGM, and Fleischer.
Regardless, I think that the cartoons on this new set, being from 1935-1938, would be color cartoons featuring an older Mickey (no pupils, though his limbs may not resemble rubber bands as much as they do in the B&W cartoons).
Hmmm. I need to pick this up. I like the older Mickey better.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Right, well, actually I feel the opposite, but that's okay.

But it is the pie-eyed Mickey that I don't like.

I like the newer one. What DVD are those on? I like the Donald Duck ones and the Huey, Dewey and Louie ones too.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I have the Mickey tin.
The ones in question...
"Mickey's Trailer" is on there and "Mickey's Tailor"(which has Mickey fixing the giants vest/clothes)
hope that helps

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peter is right: Buy Fun & Fancy Free
for Mickey and the Beanstalk.
(But Mickey does tackle another giant in the
final short film.)
BUT:
RUN, don't walk
and get
Mickey Mouse in Living Color.
With only 150,000 copies made,
it is probably gone forever at most retailers.
(I spent the better part of my weekend calling
retailers trying to track down Silly Symphonies,
after being so delighted with the MMILC set.
Most stores have none of the Walt Disney Treasures left!!!)
Mickey Mouse in Living Color
It has several incarnations of Mickey,
but not in black and white...so no Steamboat Willie.
-Mark

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
This art print has a good overview of "Mickey Through the Years":
Ase-Mic.MickeyT.jpg

Lanny_B

Second Unit
That is a good image. Thanks. So, their aren't any color ones with the pie-eyed look, right? Cool.

Ok, but does anyone remember all those Donald Duck cartoons, or ones with his nephews running into their tree house and stuff? Is that one out?

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
As of yet there is no donald duck collection on dvd. I suspect that with the success of the Disney Treasures line, that we will see more in the not too distant future. I fully expect a dvd containing the old B&W classics, I also expect another Mickey set, or more probably (as Mickey started to take a back seat to the other, more entertaining characters) Sets of Donald and Goofy which will feature the remainder of the mickey shorts yet to be released. I certainly hope Disney has plans to release its entire cartoon library on dvd, as it would be wonderful to make sure these cartoons are preserved for the ages. As an animator I know I'll be buying any such sets that hit the market. I'd also love all the old wonderfull world of disney shows on disc. There's a lot of great stuff in the disney vaults, I hope they realize what a gold mine they have on their hands. Knowing disney though, they probably do, and they'll be sure to squeeze as much out of it as they can ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Some of the episodes that you might know (i've just been watching 35-36 disc, yet to touch the 37-38 disc)...

Micky conducts the band in the park when an EARLY Donald butts in with his flute.

Pluto lies near the fireplace and dreams of going to hell and being put on trial by cats for all his cat chasing on Earth.

The whole gang have adventures while ice skating on a river.

Micky dreams of going through the looking glass after falling asleep reading Alice in Wonderland.

So far the shorts I've seen are all "prime quality" Mickey, the good stuff that you grew up with. I appreciate the art of the older versions, but I think we all love to see Mickey, Donald, etc. once Disney really got it down pat, and that's what you get with this set.

Plus some good extras like some brief history/comments by Leonard Maltin on various parts of the discs.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Here is a list of the cartoons included on the set....
Disc One:
1935 --
"The Band Concert" (Mickey's first color feature, and the introduction of Donald Duck)
"Mickey's Garden"
"On Ice"
"Pluto's Judgment Day"
"Mickey's Fire Brigade"
1936 --
"Thru The Mirror"
"Mickey's Circus"
"Mickey's Elephant"
"Mickey's Grand Opera"
"Mickey Polo Team" (an interesting game of polo, featuring animated cameos by many of Hollywood's hot commodities at the time.)
"Alpine Climbers"
"Moving Day"
"Mickey's Rival" (Mortimer Mouse)
"Orphan's Picnic."
Disc Two:
1937 --
"Hawaiian Holiday"
"Mouse Hunters"
"The Worm Turns" (a hint of Mickey's exploits to come in Fantasia?)
"Magician Mickey"
"Mickey's Amateurs"
"Clock Cleaners"
"Lonesome Ghosts."
1938 --
"Mickey's Parrot"
"Boat Builders"
"The Whalers"
"Mickey's Trailer"
"Brave Little Tailor."
This is the list via DVDFILE.
The only cartoons missing (and I believe they were black and white) are 2 from the 1935 collection and 1 color from 1938.
These are "Mickey's Service Station" and "Mickey's Kangaroo".
Only one missing from the 1938 collection is "The Fox Hunter".
All and all, Disney MUST be commended for this EXCELLENT collection. If you are a MICKEY MOUSE fan, these are for you. Get them NOW as once they are gone... they are gone!
Dugger

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"The Band Concert" (Mickey's first color feature, and the introduction of Donald Duck)
Yes, it was Mickey's first color feature (not including the "Parade of Award Nominees". No, it wasn't DD's first flick. He first hit the screen in 1934's "The Wise Little Hen", which appears on the Silly Symphonies DVD...

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I see that the Disney Store is now quoting 3 weeks for delivery of the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies collections. I wonder if this means that they are pressing more copies given the apparent popularity of these titles. Hopefully we can look forward to Donald Duck, Pluto and Goofy collections as well.

Eric Wickitt

Agent
I'd be willing to wager that only the TINS and lithographs will be "LIMITED"..... and they'll reissue the discs themselves in double amaray boxes. .... of course it's just a theory, based on PAST Disney dvd "limited editions"
:rolleyes

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As pointed out in Leonard Maltin's introduction, starting with the era covered by this DVD set, the Disney gag folks started running out of things to do with just Mickey, so there is a lot of Donald, Pluto, and Goofy included in this set. The Band Concert is the first appearance of Donald Duck, I believe. Mickey's Trailer is a definite highlight, although it's transfer quality is a hair below the rest of the set which is stellar given the material. It looks like even cartoons like Lonesome Ghosts and Brave Little Tailor that were previously released on DVD have been re-mastered.

Regards,

Keith M.

Second Unit
I just picked up Silly Symphonies and Mickey in Color...

So far I am very impressed. But nobody seems to be discussing the other 2 sets...

How is the Disneyland set and the Davy Crockett set???

I guess im too young to remember the Davy Crockett show, but if its entertaining, I am willing to pick it up. I have already decided to pick up the Disneyland set, just for nostalgic reasons...

Real Name
Takayuki Kihara
"Davy Crockett" TV series have been on Disney Channel this week at 3:00 AM, Pacific (maybe it's the same for other time zone). I watched part of an episode, but found it wasn't for me... Disneyland shows are frequently on the Disney channel, as well.

P.S. There will be only one more episode of Davy Crockett (Friday after midnight - 3:00 AM - about 5 hours from now in Pacific) and this seems to be the last chance to catch it for a while.

Keith M.

Second Unit
My favorite right now is on Silly Symphonies, called "Grasshopper and the ants"... It is hilarious!! Somthing about a grasshopper who laughs like Goofy and spits while he sings is damn funny...

Anyone watch "The Old Mill" ? The animation is incredibly detailed, cant believe it is soo old...

Are these really limited edition or just the tins? If so, I might as well buy Davy Crockett, to have the complete set...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks