What's new

WB: Why let AOL users choose for us??? (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Apparently WB is going to let AOL users decide which of 20 classic films to release. http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/05_14.html Why? I see no reason to exclude AOL users from such a poll, but to make them the only ones and exclude the rest of us? It just makes no sense. Please rethink this decision. We're talking about classic films here. Almost certainly HTF members buy more of those than your generic AOL member.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why would you assume that many HTF members and classic film fans are not AOL users? Furthermore, as much trouble as AOL/Warner had since the merger, I'm afraid your plea will fall on deaf ears as AOL/Warner is putting a lot of effort in getting their merged company to work on joint ventures that will help both business units.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As long as Warner is releasing all of the titles in the near future, a contest to decide which will be released first, promote interest in classic titles, and boost AOL with some exclusive content seems like a fun marketing ploy. More power to them, I say.

Regards,

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Because, if I understand this right, AOL users are not really on the Internet as they use the AOL server. I think that most people would prefer to really get on to the Internet when they say, I'm getting on to the Internet now.

Their marketing has been very 'in your face' too, and I find that annoying, but maybe that is just me.

It is easy to rationalize this whole situation by saying that - well, they are part of the same company and they can really do whatever they want to - but to me it looks like another poor marketing ploy.

Glenn

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not assuming that there's no overlap. What I am assuming is that

1) many, many of us who love films are not AOL users

2) the typical HTFer (who may or may not use AOL) is more knowlegable about classic films than the typical AOL user (who almost certainly isn't a member of HTF). The fact that the 'typical' AOL user isn't on HTF is not a denigration of those AOL users who are on HTF.

3) this will be an unsuccessful marketing effort on their part. As much as I'd love to be able to vote in their poll, I'm sure as hell not going to join AOL in order to be able to do so.

4) it is a shame that those of us who aren't AOL users won't get their voices heard.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why would you assume that many HTF members and classic film fans are not AOL users?
I agree with Glenn. AOL is more like "training wheels" for the Internet. Most HTF users would seem to have technical knowledge that would send them looking elsewhere for access other than AOL's middle-man service. ;)

I guess our assignment is to find a friend who is less techno-savvy, who subscribes to AOL, and who we can arm-twist into letting us fill in their vote. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Don't be too sure about that! With Turner Classic Movies, Warner and AOL involved I predict this marketing effort will be very successful. Furthermore, as stated all of those titles listed have already been prepared for dvd releases anyhow so they will be coming out in 2004 anyway.

Also, you'll be surprised how many HTF members have AOL accounts.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

George,
There's no need to fret now, just be a little patient and you'll be rewarded with your favorite choices.;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Just to be clear, I think this may be great marketing for those 20 dvds, I'm only doubting how much this will boost AOL membership.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
My five for what it's worth would be,
"Finian's Rainbow"
"For me and my Gal"
"Bad Day at Black Rock"
"The Blackboard Jungle"
"Ziegfeld Girl"

But where oh where are all of the Technicolored MGM Musicals??

While a lot of the titles have some merit, there appears to be a lot of far more deserving and highly popular Classics missing.
Actually there are some very very strange priorities in that list.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Agreed with George in wishing I could have polled through HTF. This singular choice barring my access. However it does make perfect (business) sense for the WB/AOL tie-in.

I’m already logged on my opinion on The Wind and the Lion (finally!!!)

DOUBLE thanks for The Thin Man selections!!!!.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
so WB have obviuosly thought very well of this as there will be commentaries and documentaries such as for Postman always rings twice

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My technophobic buddy Dave (who, when we last heard about him at HTF, actually turned down a free, still-in-its-box, brand-new 27-inch Panasonic because he is "happy" with his 20-year-old Sylvannia, and who doesn't care to "get into" DVD) is an AOL member.

His only reason for going "online" is to meet women.

I doubt he would even know how to access HTF, even if he were so inclined. Not making this up.

But I sure as hell will ask him to vote for a very, very early 2004 release of The Wind and the Lion!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
This HTF member would not use AOL if they were the last internet provider left on earth. The reasons are too many. But as long as the films do get released, I guess I don't really care if AOL users get to decide the 1st ones to come out. :emoji_thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks