What's new

Wayward Pines - Fox (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Just started watching Wayward Pines and I'm hooked. It may be one of the best shows since Lost or The Walking Dead. The overall quality of the show is impressive, the scripts and acting are just as excellent. Can't believe how it pulled me in and I can't wait for another season if they make one. Personally, I think it's one of the best shows I've seen in a long while, network TV or otherwise. The show is a rare gem and a true keeper.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
David Weicker said:
My own take on the 'Hassler phone call' was that Kate was out and out lying to Theresa.
Why? It explains her taking 15 years to finally act out in a major way, and it informs her reasons for not trusting Burke.

Plus, we know that Hassler was part of the project. So that goes along with him having recorded a "message" for Kate to help integrate her when unfrozen.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Saw that next week's is being called a series finale. Good to know it should be fully wrapped up (though I understand it's a series of books, so there may be room for a return later on).

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
The show was always intended to be a one season show. Although I know it's always possible that the network may want to cash in and make another season, I hope not.

Pilcher, God complex much? Looks like he doesn't like the way things are going and he's going to take his ball and go home.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess we knew they couldn't end the series without a confrontation with the Abbies.

It will be interesting how it all shakes out.

Neil

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The ratings are small and falling (it hit a new low with the most recent episode), so I don't see a second season forthcoming.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The thing I like about the show is that you understand the motivation of every single character, whether their decisions are good or bad. Nurse Pam in particular has become a lot more three-dimensional since Ethan (and the audience) learned the truth.

I do wonder if the setup with the expeditions to America's major cities will play a role in the finale, beyond confirming the truth of their situation. Perhaps some of the teams managed to beat back the Abbies and reestablish civilization.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Greg_S_H said:
Saw that next week's is being called a series finale. Good to know it should be fully wrapped up (though I understand it's a series of books, so there may be room for a return later on).

Despite a series of strange plot deviations from the books (the entire school/First Generation thing is new), the show is well-positioned to reach the end of the third (and final) book. There are a few ways the show could cliff-hang, but there's really nothing from the books that is left to tell.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If the show were to come back, I'd want to see it take the American Horror Story or True Detective route of having an entirely new tale each season. Given that there will (hopefully) be fairly definitive endings for the stories and characters, I can't really imagine how this story would continue in an organic way so I hope this is the end.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Greg_S_H said:
I didn't know, but that's fine. A one-and-done show is not a bad thing.

Actually, I think it's a good thing to tell a full and complete short story and not drag it out just to continue a story line. This show could be a prime example for something like Under The Dome, which is just horrid and at best a one and done story as well.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TravisR said:
If the show were to come back, I'd want to see it take the American Horror Story or True Detective route of having an entirely new tale each season. Given that there will (hopefully) be fairly definitive endings for the stories and characters, I can't really imagine how this story would continue in an organic way so I hope this is the end.

Yeah, I could see them covering an entirely different community for a second season, also considering I read this was shot more than a year ago and the original cast isn't under contract so would be unlikely to return. But I have to say this started very auspiciously for me, I even thought Aquarius was better to begin with, but I've gone completely 180 and now think that show suffers and drags and this one came through as the perfect 'fun' summer sci-fi series.

I screened another 'perfect' one-and done series for my 18 year-old son of a similar nature (sci-fi locked in a town) - The Prisoner (original, of course). He loved it. That was very gratifying. And without any special effects (other than the balloon) - just mind messing good writing and one obsessed mad actor megalomaniac. (McGoohan was the Dr. Pilcher of that series)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeffery_H said:
Actually, I think it's a good thing to tell a full and complete short story and not drag it out just to continue a story line. This show could be a prime example for something like Under The Dome, which is just horrid and at best a one and done story as well.

I really enjoyed watching the first season of "Under the Dome" in a so-bad-it's-good way. But when I tried to do the same with the second season, it was so bad that it was just bad and I had to give up on the show.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've got to throw in another plug for Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell on BBC America. Last night's episode "The Black Tower" was easily the best hour of television on a series I've seen this year for writing, acting, visuals, quotes, etc. Absolutely thrilling. If you haven't see the show, catch up with it on demand.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hollywoodaholic said:
I've got to throw in another plug for Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell on BBC America. Last night's episode "The Black Tower" was easily the best hour of television on a series I've seen this year for writing, acting, visuals, quotes, etc. Absolutely thrilling. If you haven't see the show, catch up with it on demand.
I missed the connection, what does that show have to do with Was?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Jeffery_H said:
I so agree with you with "Under the Dome". Horrid is the best way to describe it. Started out well but they're really stretching it now, should have ended long ago.

I've still got a few episodes of Wayward Pines to catch up on. If it continues, it would be nice, but to wrap it up and end it would also be good.

Kind of like the old Mary Tyler Moore show. Better to go out on a high note than drag it out for a few more seasons of forgettable episodes.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TonyD said:
I missed the connection, what does that show have to do with Was?

Not a bloody thing, but for anyone who likes sci-fi fantasy, I was just blown away by that episode last night and threw in a plug. Maybe I should've started another thread, but the series finale is next Saturday after Wayward Pines finale Thursday.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
As I've heard it, the last episode is the entire third book. And that the "First Generation" was touched upon, but not as much as the show when into it. Although, I don't know for sure as I've not read the books. My wife wants to read them now.

Also, apparently, Fox wants to wait and see the audience reaction to the finale to decide if they go on for another season. That doesn't sound too promising for our characters.

At any rate, IF there was another season, maybe they could go on with the "others" that Hassler mentioned in the video diary Theresa found.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Solid ending.

I've got mixed feelings about the final sequence; on one hand, it nicely sets up where a potential season two would go, since the only returning actors you'd need -- at least for the bulk of the season -- would be Charlie Tahan, Sarah Jeffery and the First Generation kids from the police station. On the other hand, if they'd ended things with Pam and Kate beginning to wake up the rest of the population still in suspended animation, it would have felt like the promise to tell a single self-contained story was better kept. The cliffhanger at the end felt tacked on to what would have been a satisfying resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks