What's new

Waterproof storage containers? (1 Viewer)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Hurricane Isidore got me thinking...is there really such a thing as a waterproof container? Would a Rubbermaid container be sufficient in a hurricane situation? Or there some other brand that makes large waterproof containers? By large I mean Onkyo 676 large. ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I would suggest something called Otter boxes.. When I was looking for a waterproof container for my digicam, I found these out via suggestions. I didn't buy one because I decided to spend my money elsewhere and use zip lock bags.
I would use them for hiking where zip locks work fine. Obviously not hurricane proof. But it also depends on whether you're looking for a hard case or a soft shell. You can get bags, actually large sacks, that are waterproof and made of a tough nylon shell, boaters, kayakers, canoers use these for the river and they are simply large sacks you put stuff in then roll up the top and clamp the clasps down and cinch it. Then there are also hard cases in various sizes. Small ones like the Otter Box for small items. You're also in luck that I recently saw Sierra Trading Post have the Otter boxes on sale, as least last week when I checked. They're similar to the dryboxs.com that DougR posted.
As far a large Onkyo 626 size.... I'm sure there are but I think the best cost effect way would be to buy the large dry bags and put them around anything valuable. I figure if you're gear gets lifted by a hurricane, I don't think anything short of custom is gonna save it. Plus then you'd also have to find it first and it'll probably wont be the first thing on your mind if that ever happens...
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...st_display.htm
Check out the medium to larger sized dry bags. They should fit around a bunch of your HT gear sans the cable connections and stuff.
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks