What's new

Watching HDTV on a SDTV (1 Viewer)

halflip87

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas
Hello,

I would like to receive HDTV signals and watch them on an SDTV. I understand I won't get the HDTV resolution, but I simply want to see TV shows in 16:9 ratio rather than the standard 4:3. Would the signals look any better, even though it's a Standard Def. TV?

I was wondering if I could do this:

Could I hook up an Indoor HDTV Antenna to the "Insignia® - Digital-to-Analog Converter for Analog TVs" Model NS-DXA1, then hook it up to my SDTV and do what I asked? Or would I need something else? I'm trying to figure out if I can bypass an HDTV Receiver. These might be dumb questions, but I'm CLUELESS to this stuff!

Thanks!

Doug

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Yes, you can watch on your old TV, that's actually all that converter is capable of doing. (So it is almost worthless if you upgrade TV, except to perhaps feed an old VCR).

"Indoor HDTV antenna" -- first be aware that there's nothing special about an "HDTV" antenna. Standard UHF/VHF works fine depending on what channels your local broadcasters are on. Indoor may or may not work depending on your distance from the broadcast towers, surrounding terrain, and how your house is constructed. Go to AntennaWeb to figure out how strong an antenna you need; outdoor may be necessary for good reception.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
For SD sets, a full fledged digital tuner offers two major advantages: component video and digital audio. In other words, it'll look and sound about as good as a DVD-- provided, of course, that you have component video inputs and a dolby digital receiver.

The converter box, however, offers only composite video and stereo audio. Probably no better, in the end, than ordinary cable.

halflip87

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas
I was thinking of just picking up a cheap "RCA - Indoor Off-Air HDTV Antenna Model: ANT 111" (I would post links but apparently I'm not allowed to). Is there any word on if this would do the job? Keep in mind I'm just trying to "Scrape by" here and not going for the most incredibly picture/set-up.

Thanks again!

Doug

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We don't know. We have no clue where you are. Antenna selection is very much dependent on your location. Go to the Antennaweb link earlier and post your DIGITAL results. No need to post an adress or anything.

For example, the RCA antenna would do nothing for me since I am 25 miles from my antenna farm. But for someone under 10 miles from their antenna farm, it may work just fine. I use a $24, 42" outdoor UHF antenna from Radio Shack mounted in my attic to get my OTA digital channels. I also receive the Big 4 networks in HD via DirecTV.

-Robert

halflip87

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas
All of the Regular and DT stations around here are about 18 miles or less from my current location. I live in a somewhat suburban area, not too many big buildings around...Outdoor antennas, unfortunately, are not an option. How about this "amplifier" stuff, would it be recommended to buy one containing an amplifier? I've been trying to research on this, but I just get confused even more.

Thanks for all your help so far,

Douglas

halflip87

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas
All of the major network affiliates, are 18 miles or less away from my current location. I live in a suburban area with not too many big buildings around. Unfortunately, outdoor antennas are not an option. What is the deal with the "amplifiers" in these antennas, would something like that be recommended? I've been trying to do my homework on all this, but just get more confused. I think now it's obvious the El-Cheapo $10 Antenna wouldn't do.

Thanks for all your help thus far,

Doug

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
amplifiers, especially low noise amplifiers, can compensate for lengthy runs of coax cable. They can't compensate for poorly designed antennae.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks