What's new

Help Please (1 Viewer)

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
I have some questions regarding HDTV.
Because of my location most of my viewing will be in SDTV, with only a few HDTV stations available.
From what I have seen in the past SDTV signals do not produce a very good picture on HD televisions.
I looked at an HDTV the last few days that changed my mind. The store clerk told me if I had a digital signal then the picture would be very good, not HD but still very good, and what he showed me was very good.
He also told me that a DVD player with up-conversion will produce an HD picture, not quite as good as Blu-Ray but still a good HD picture.
My question is he telling me the truth?

Will a quality HDTV, Samsung LN46A650, produce a high quality picture using only a digital non HD signal ?
Will a DVD player with up-conversion produce a quality HD picture off of standard DVD's ?

I understand a digital HD signal will produce a better picture and I understand a Blu-Ray DVD player using Blu-Ray disk will be better. But I must face it, that is not what I will be watching most of the time.
Thanks

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
I have some questions regarding HDTV.
Because of my location most of my viewing will be in SDTV, with only a few HDTV stations available.
From what I have seen in the past SDTV signals do not produce a very good picture on HD televisions.
I looked at an HDTV the last few days that changed my mind. The store clerk told me if I had a digital signal then the picture would be very good, not HD but still very good, and what he showed me was very good.
He also told me that a DVD player with up-conversion will produce an HD picture, not quite as good as Blu-Ray but still a good HD picture.
My question is he telling me the truth?

Will a quality HDTV, Samsung LN46A650, produce a high quality picture using only a digital non HD signal ?
Will a DVD player with up-conversion produce a quality HD picture off of standard DVD's ?

I understand a digital HD signal will produce a better picture and I understand a Blu-Ray DVD player using Blu-Ray disk will be better. But I must face it, that is not what I will be watching most of the time.
Thank You

chuckg

Supporting Actor
If the picture is small enough and you sit far enough away, you can't tell the difference between SD and HD....take a look at the comparison charts and you'll see.

There won't be any more analog TV in three months, so digital SD and digital HD is all you need worry about.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
There is some truth in the HDTV sales pitch, but what matters most is the TV quality itself. Generally, the high end HDTVs will also provide the best SDTV reception, but reviews are lacking in this area. I watch plenty of HDTV and a lot of SDTV too, and ended up testing a bunch of HDTVs at the store to check out SDTV pictures. I settled on a Sony XBR LCD.

Craig

Second Unit
You can get a decent picture with a non-HD digital signal on an HDTV. When Comcast went all digital in my area, the picture quality improved noticably on standard channels, but they still won't be mistaken for HD.

An upconverting player will produce a very good picture on an HDTV. I doubt you'll be disappointed. I still watch regular DVDs on my 56" Samsung DLP RPTV and they look very good. I'm going to say you'll be more impressed with upconverted DVD on an HDTV versus standard digital TV, however a lot of it depends on the quality of the incoming cable or satellite signal.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Kenny, I have consolidated your two threads in the Display Devices area.

Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks