What's new

Warranty advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I purchased a JVC AV-30W777 30in. Widescreen HDTV back in August (it is a 720P/1080i tube TV). When I took it out of the box, I noticed at that time, that there were horizontal scan lines slowly travelling up the screen (usually 2 on the screen at a time) for every signal that I input to the TV. Hi-Def television, and XBOX 360 in Hi-Def were particularly noticable, as well as my DVD player outputting interlaced, and progressive modes. Didn't matter if I used HDMI connection, or the component video connection. Didn't make any difference, the lines were always there, admittedly they were somewhat faint, but they were there. I attempted to return the TV, but I got the last one, actually the only one the dealer had. I've checked online, it's a brand new model, just released this summer. Supplies are limited because of that. Since I couldn't return it, and I liked the style, design, price, options (2 HDMI), etc, I decided to have it repaired. In September, I called JVC, and they gave me the local service center to contact, I called them and they had a fellow come in the following Monday. He took the back off, but couldn't get it to stop. On September 20th, they took my TV away. It is now 4 weeks later today(they've had it one month), and still no TV. In fact, it took the service center 3 weeks to look at it. Then initially, they said they couldn't reproduce the problems I was having. So, I went in there, and pointed out the scan lines. Then he did notice them, but commented that alot of people wouldn't probably see those. That really P.O.'d me. He said he'd order a video processing board, but if that didn't do it, he didn't know what would. I've communicated with JVC, as well as the service center pretty regualrly through all of this, and have been very nice and patient to date because I do want it repaired, and repaired correctly. But my patience has run out now. Does anybody have any advice? I really don't even want this particular TV back at this point, but as I said supplies are limited and I like the TV, fits well in my entertainment center, etc. I've never had a problem like this before with an electronics dealer, as luckily everything I've ever purchased has worked correctly out of the box for the most part. Is this out of the norm? I'm assuming I should expect better service. And any advice on how to handle this from now on, as I am sick of waiting and think I have given them plenty of time to resolve this.

thanks in advance.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Probably not much help now. Sounds like you're seeing a ground loop problem. It's usually caused by a difference in the electrical grounding between your TV and one or more connected components. The CATV feed being the most common culprit. I just live with it on our living room TV (SD CRT) and a Monster HTS-3500 solved the problem with the FP in the theater room. Prior to getting the Monster, I had to leave the CATV disconnected...the noise bars were just too pronounced.

Sorry, can't really offer you any advice on the warranty work itself. If it's still returnable (souned liked you could, but didn't b/c of limited supply) and you don't think you can ever be happy with this particular set, I think that's your only option.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if its returnable, return it.

if not tell them to fix it to your satisfaction.
that why you paid for the warranty.

also please seperate into paragraphs.
makes it much easier to read a post then one big block.

be persistant, dont give in and good luck

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Horizontal lines slowly moving up your tv is almost guaranteed to be a ground loop problem with your electrical system, and not a problem with your tv. If you had plugged into a different outlet or disconnected your cable (the usual source of the problem), you would have seen it disappear.

Sounds like you had a completely incompetent repairman out at your place.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
As for whats causing the problem i dont know, but i recently went through a similar problem with toshiba. my tv was in the shop for 4 months (first trip was over a month second was over 2.5) both times it came back to be even worse than before.. Then they replaced the unit, and 6 months later the replacement was giving me problems.

Customer service offered to replace the newest tv with a smaller one, i never gave up and i kept calling Toshiba until finally on friday they agreed to give me a refund. Granted my circumstances were extreme, but dont give up, ask to speak to a manager if you arent gettign results, and if you have to call the VP's Board of directors and even the CEO. all their contact information is generally available if you look in the right places. In my case it only took 2 calls to the CEO of toshiba to get results, but when i did get results they were fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks