What's new

Who’s Happy/Unhappy with their LG OLED77C1? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Our LG LED UH6500 has developed a vertical line on the right side of the screen. I’ve watched one YouTube about opening it up and fixing it. Just haven’t convinced myself I want to do that.

So, how do you like your C1? Seems like I’ve read it has a wide viewing angle? What about glare? What are your negatives and positives. I watch a lot of CNN and they’ve got all that crap (especially at the bottom), will that result in burn-in? Any preventive besides changing channels?

Looks like the going price now is $3300 (rounding up). This model hits the very high range of my budget. Amazon has a free 2 year warranty from CPS. The bullet points for it emphasize accidental damage (it mentions kids playing ball in the house, dropping while installing). Do these warranties run concurrent with the manufacturers warranty or start after the manufactures warranty.

Advice is very much appreciated.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I notice Amazon’s seller is Beach Cameral Same Day Shipping. Any experience with them, anyone?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So, how do you like your C1? Seems like I’ve read it has a wide viewing angle? What about glare?
I will answer my own question. It does have a WIDE viewing angle. You can view at such an extreme narrow angle that the picture can’t be viewed except to see it’s still quite bright. The screen is glossy and depending on the time of day reflections can be seen.

I love this TVv.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I will answer my own question. It does have a WIDE viewing angle. You can view at such an extreme narrow angle that the picture can’t be viewed except to see it’s still quite bright. The screen is glossy and depending on the time of day reflections can be seen.

I love this TVv.
I'm loving my 55"

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is anyone running the pixel cleaning process? How important is it?
It isn't a bad idea to run the pixel cleaner once in a while if you watch a lot of material with black bars. It helps to prevent the possibility of burn-in.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would have to check but I think the pixel refresher runs automatically, but can also be run manually. I would have to check to see if automatic refreshing can be disabled I can't remember off the top of my head.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yikes I hope nothing of the sort happens with my set. I couldn't resist the Black Friday deal so I pulled the trigger on the 65" for $1799. It's my first OLED after multiple 4K LED from Sony and Samsung...and I have to say so far I'm very impressed. Especially with VRR and game mode for the Xbox Series X.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yikes I hope nothing of the sort happens with my set. I couldn't resist the Black Friday deal so I pulled the trigger on the 65" for $1799. It's my first OLED after multiple 4K LED from Sony and Samsung...and I have to say so far I'm very impressed. Especially with VRR and game mode for the Xbox Series X.

I've been playing hours and hours of AC:Valhalla on my PS5 and have yet to notice any signs of burn-in. I used to.play a lot of PS4 games on my previous OLED and never had an issue with burn-in. As long as one sets up the TV so it isn't maxing out brightness, contrast and OLED output levels then burn-in is a non-issue IMO.

However, I only use three modes. Filmmaker, ISF(night).and game mode. Game mode is the brightest of those.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Edwin so are you recommending that I turn down the levels for Dolby vision? I’ve turned all the settings down at the other picture settings I use for HD broadcast and Blu Ray playback but I note when Dolby Vision signals are detected the preset for it has the maxed out settings for OLED and contrast (brightness still at 50). Should I be changing those 100 values?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Edwin so are you recommending that I turn down the levels for Dolby vision? I’ve turned all the settings down at the other picture settings I use for HD broadcast and Blu Ray playback but I note when Dolby Vision signals are detected the preset for it has the maxed out settings for OLED and contrast (brightness still at 50). Should I be changing those 100 values?
When it comes.to DV, I think I would leave the settings alone. Screen burn-in generally results from static images being left on too long. Playing content with DV should not result in screen burn. Adjusting those levels, to me, would be more related to a person's.taste when it comes to the look of the picture they like rather than reducing the possibility of screen burn.

However, I'm not a TV calibrator, so one of those guys may have a different idea. I just think turning down the settings on DV content defeats the purpose of the technology. I think the automated pixel shifting and pixel refresh built into these sets goes a long way to reducing screen burn issues.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Make sure your LG has had the latest FW installed (and then unplug it / plug it back in). If not, it may not accept a 4k UHD signal via hdmi.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
First thing I did, Gregg, but thanks for the reminder. Still remember meeting you back in the day when you made one of the SoCal HTF meets. Hope you're doing well!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Last night we’re watching Xfinity via my Tivo with no problems. I switch over to my ATV4K and I get “This content cannot be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2.” I switch back to my Xfinity which was working and get the same message. I’m using my Denon avr so the output is always out of the Denon to HDMI2.

Then I switch the very same cable from HDMI2 on the TV to HDMI3 and it works. Well, before this I powered the tv on and off, the avr on and off, the whole system on and off. Nothing worked using switching it to HDMI3. To me this proved HDMI2 is the malfunction, not the cable, not the avr, and not the original source.

So this morning I look up my order on Costco and I’m still within the 90 days. While I’m talking to the csr, I turn on the tv, and HDMI2 works. In fact, been watching it the rest of the day. The csr says lets replace it anyway, it’s clear there’s a defect. I even ask, this ok with Costco, I feel bad returning a working tv. He says no problem.

So I’m getting a new TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks