What's new

My Concern About A Blu-ray Release Of THE LIGHTHOUSE (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I own a 65" LG 4K 3D OLED, and, as others have discovered, the set has been manufactured to automatically dim the picture (to prevent burn-in, they said) whenever an image remains unchanged for too long a time. But it does more than that... it dims down already dark scenes even if the image changes, until a strong light source appears, at which time it suddenly regains its proper brightness. This is incredibly annoying.

I saw THE LIGHTOUSE locally a few weeks back, and I am pretty sure it will get a Blu-ray release. I would like to buy it, but I doubt I'd have a pleasant viewing experience watching it on this otherwise beautiful display. The movie is loaded with very dimly-lit scenes -- in fact, only a few take place in broad daylight or brightly-lit interiors. I think I'd be wasting my money.

LG posted a response to complaints about this, and there appears to be no user correction possible. I've tried, using every setting in the book. The company simply said, "We'll look into it for future models." Great $2,000 spent and I almost certainly can't properly watch THE LIGHTHOUSE.

Anyone else in this boat?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That's absolutely ridiculous that there isn't a user option to disable it.

So glad I have your support. Sorry I haven't the tech savvy you appear to have. I am looking into this further thanks to the previous post from willyTass, which actually offers helpful advice. Enjoy your day.

P.S. Mr. Cooper -- I may have misread your post and, if so, I apologize for my defensive response.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So glad I have your support. Sorry I haven't the tech savvy you appear to have. I am looking into this further thanks to the previous post from willyTass, which actually offers helpful advice. Enjoy your day.
Unless I'm missing some prior context here, I don't think Jeff was being sarcastic. To me it seems like genuine disbelief that the manufacturer has locked out the consumer from controlling their own equipment in their own home.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s obnoxious that some of these settings are dialed in as fixed things rather than user adjustable options. I get that they’re concerned about burn in but I think a “are you really sure you want to change this setting?” extra prompt would suffice.

Professional calibration can take care of these issues but that may be more than it’s worth to you, I have no idea what those costs are these days. It might be worth reaching out to one of the professional calibrators that hangs out on HTF to see if they can give you a ballpark quote and/or recommend someone in your area.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Unless I'm missing some prior context here, I don't think Jeff was being sarcastic. To me it seems like genuine disbelief that the manufacturer has locked out the consumer from controlling their own equipment in their own home.

That could be so, and if it is, then I offer a sincere apology to Mr. Cooper.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
One doesn’t need a calibrator to enter the service menu

the only hard part is finding the posts at either avsforum or England’s avforums to glean which buttons to press on ur remote to get into the service menu
Changing the automatic brightness limiter is binary: it’s either 0 or 1 , on or off.

if u follow directions it’s easy ( done it on TV’s like Sony Panasonic and pioneer kuro)

a calibrator would also do it if u ask them as part of a calibration which usually goes upwards of USD $200 for a full calibration

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
That could be so, and if it is, then I offer a sincere apology to Mr. Cooper.

It's all good. Yes I meant it was really dumb of the manufacturer to not allow the user to disable it. 1st thing any tv should allow is for the direct image to be displayed without any kind of post processing done to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks