What's new

Warning about Scanavo packaged discs (1 Viewer)

Colin1987

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin
Hi all I'm new here from the UK. I have in my possession the complete seven seasons of Star Trek Deep Space Nine that I've owned for 13 years. I watched through them once well over a decade ago and went to watch them again this year. I've had terrible trouble with playing them (via an Xbox One S).

There appeared to be a cloudy residue on a lot of the discs. I cleaned them off using a little water and a microfiber cloth. They seem to all play okay now. I did read something on the web that this has happened but they are years out of date. It appears to be an issue with the Slimline Paramount box sets from 2006/2007. Specifically the cases seem to react and leave this oily residue on the discs. I urge everyone to check their box sets from this era with Scanavo branded discs. It stands to reason some may be irreparably damaged.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There appeared to be a cloudy residue on a lot of the discs.

Are you talking about something like this, from my copies of the original Voyager releases? You'll have to look pretty closely to see it, but it's there (this is from Disc 3 on the second go).

voyageroilyresidue.jpg

Colin1987

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin
Hi, hard to tell from the picture. Mine had a cloudy residue that was rough to the touch. I have the "Full Journey" DVDs of Voyager and they are all fine.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hi, hard to tell from the picture. Mine had a cloudy residue that was rough to the touch. I have the "Full Journey" DVDs of Voyager and they are all fine.

Thanks for the response-- do the labels on that "Full Journey" release (I would imagine that to be Region 2) look different from mine? I would take that to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.