What's new

Warners to release 200 new classic titles in 2007 (1 Viewer)

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Beetlejuice better be one of them, thats all I can say. I can't believe there has not been a SE of this movie yet.

Pee-Wee doesnt need one IMO, the one we have has all the special features and extras I could really ask for. The ghost with the most on the other hand, we need to finally see something here!!!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Yeah, I wish we got a silent set this year. Although, we know they're working on Greed, The Big Parade, The Wind, more Lon Chaney, and I think more Garbo. Hopefully, they'll make up for this year's lack by releasing all of those in 2007.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm quite positive Warner owns these Errol Flynn titles:

The Adventures of Don Juan
The Dawn Patrol
Dive Bomber
Desperate Journey
Northern Pursuit
Virginia City
Gentleman Jim
Never Say Goodbye
Edge of Darkness

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Looking forward to DVD releases of two Ken Russell films from 1971:

The Devils
and
The Boy Friend

Plus

Fanny (1961) Charles Boyer/Leslie Caron (Best Picture nominee - Oscars)

Corey

Screenwriter
c'mon warners. you've been so slow with announcements. we used to get one every week, now it's every couple of weeks. is the clock, miracle in the rain, and a summer place the only classics we get in february. they said at least 2 boxed sets per month.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No offense to Barrie, but until I read a direct quote from Warner regarding them releasing two boxsets a month for the entire year, I can't hold them accountable.

Crawdaddy

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

Crawdaddy, I may be brainlocking here but did Warners ever even confirm the "200+ in '07" claim? Didn't that come from Barrie as well? And agreed, no offense to Barrie, bless him.

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
This is all wonderful news, and there are some great suggestions for titles here, but how many are coming to HD? I was under the impression after Warners last chat that their catalog titles would be released in HD in conjunction with their standard DVD counterparts. Yet I was massively disappointed that the recent Paul Newman boxed set and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf S.E. were SD only.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Again, from the first post: "...I begin this column's section on new announcements with some comments that George Feltenstein, Senior Vice President of Theatrical Catalog Marketing for Warner Bros., kindly passed on to me."

Barrie is passing on information direct from a highly-placed Warners source. If Barrie was guilty of mis-reporting Mr Feltenstein, I rather think we'd have heard by now.

I'll add that whether it's two box sets a month, one box set a month, or even every other month, Warners output will easily outstrip any other studio. And I've said before, what concerns me more is that quality does not suffer because of the quantity of that output.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My problem is not with Barrie, but with you calling out Warner for not releasing two boxsets a month. Barrie stated in his article that Warner plans on releasing at least one boxset a month with most months having two a month. For the most part, I think Warner has been doing so, just look at the number of boxsets released by Warner the last 3-4 months. If you want to take some studios to task for not releasing classic films then how about calling out Paramount, Sony and Universal to a lesser degree because Universal has been doing better lately? We should at least be fair with our criticism, especially when we have some studios not doing their part in satisfying the needs of classic film fans.

Crawdaddy

Corey

Screenwriter

I wasn't criticizing Warners. How could one?? They're the best. It just seemed to me that news regarding upcoming releases has been extremely slow. You must've misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I hope they release Bhowani Junction, I was disappointed that it didn't make the cut in the DVD Decision2006 promotion. But I guess they would've at least done the transfer. I can't see how they could only make transfers of the winning films?

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

The point would be that it's single-sourced information, regardless of who posted it. If that makes you uncertain about one aspect of it (the number of boxes per month), then you'd also be uncertain about the rest of it as well (the overall number).

I personally have no reason to doubt it, and find it consistent with their great performance of the last couple years. Although, if they're going to get to 200 in '07, they're slightly slow coming out of the blocks (january/february rates wouldn't get you to 200).

Corey

Screenwriter

Well when i went on the digital bits today, i read that dvd announcements are all slow right about now and the studios are mainly waiting till january to name all their announcements.

Corey

Screenwriter
Possibilities: from Amazon

-DuBarry Was a Lady
-Thousands Cheer
-Bachelor Mother
-Executive Suite
-Beyond the Forest (Bette Davis V3 I presume)
-Easy to Wed (Esther Williams set I presume)
-On Island With You (Esther Williams set I presume)
-Bhowani Junction
-Captain of the Clouds
-Two Seconds
-I'll Cry Tomorrow
-Not With My Wife, You Don't
-April In Paris ( Doris Day V2 I presume)
-A Date With Judy
-Executive Action (Burt Lancaster set I presume)
-Jim Thorpe: All American (Burt Lancaster set I presume)
-Al Capone
-The Eddie Cantor Story
-Cimarron (Glenn Ford set I presume)
-Parrish
-Light in the Piazza
-The Strawberry Blonde
-A Damsel In Distress
-Our Vines Have Tender Grapes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks