What's new

Warners to release 200 new classic titles in 2007 (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Some of the Allied Artists films (but certainly not all) were only distributed by the firm, not owned by them. NOT OF THIS EARTH is one such example. I believe the rights reverted to Roger Corman, hence his Traci Lords remake!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I third the Ken Russell and Allied Artists requests and add another, later Allied Artists title:

Last Summer

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Given the established double feature presentations maybe Rio Rita will be paired with the original? or could they do a better version of PD Africa Screams?

I would like those Rascals as well.

I wonder if TCM's Hallmark deal would give Warner the rights to release the Hal Roach material they can air on TCM.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
There are two schools of thinking on the three Roger Corman produced 1950s Allied Artists SF film programmers ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (1957), NOT OF THIS EARTH (1957) and WAR OF SATELLITES (1958), while I'm at it we could also include THE WASP WOMAN (1959), THE LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS (1960), THE LAST WOMAN ON EARTH (1960) and ATLAS (1961), and that is Mr. Corman has these three films now in his possession but won't release them on DVD because he feels there is no interest (to speak of) in his older black-and-white efforts.

On the other I'm sure that I've heard it's a popular myth and that Corman does not have these films in his possession at all much like his earlier 1950s American-International Pictures releases which were all divided up between the estates of the late James H. Nickolson and Samuel Z. Arkoff.

The best (reliable) source that can intelligently clarify this is Warner Brothers and at present the only film that has been made available on DVD from their Allied Artists 1950s SF-Horror film catalogue is HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959). Certainly a good start but let's not stop there!

Perhaps in the next scheduled Warner Brother Home Entertainment online film questions-and-answers session conducted here someone can remember to bring this issue up.

These are not cinema masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination but there is definitely a market out there for them and they can reap a respectible revenue in DVD sales profits just as well as any bona fide Warner Brothers or MGM movie classic can...especially from film unsophisticates like myself!

Jeff T.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Great! I'll have to make room for those catalog titles that appeal to me. Too damned bad the other Studios are so lacking with catalog releases. I'll gladly give my $$$$$$ to WB!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In 2007, I expect a lot of anniversary releases such as 10th, 20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th, 45th and 50th. The key release years are 1997, 1987, 1982, 1977, 1972, 1967, 1962 and 1957. Many of the titles already mentioned in this thread were released in those years such as Cool Hand Luke (1967) and Raintree County (1957).

Also, a bunch of boxsets will continue to be release in the coming year.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Some of the Allied Artists films were only distributed through AA and were owned independently. For example, THE MAZE is owned by Paramount because it was originally a Walter Mirisch production, and he kept the rights. Through a chain of several buy-ups, Paramount is now the owner of it. FLIGHT TO MARS, I believe, is now owned by Wade Williams.

A further set of Abbott and Costello films depend on what elements WB has available to them. RIO RITA was an MGM, so I assume there are elements on that. UCLA did a restoration of MEET CAPTAIN KIDD off of Cinecolor's separations that was pretty fantastic, and could be tweaked to perfect in the video realm.

However, I don't know what they would have with the rest, as they weren't released through WB or MGM, and therefore, they'd have to look elsewhere for materials.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I have never seen ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KID (1952) in colour before (except for the theatrical trailer) and would love to have this film rarity (which is really a lot funnier than is given credit for) made available on a quality DVD release.

THE MAZE (1954) is another treasure that I hope someday also makes it on to DVD sometime in the foreseeable future as well.

It is movies like these that makes DVD film collecting (truly) exciting!

Wade Williams did market FLIGHT TO MARS (1951) on a DVD release but (unfortunately) utilizing inferior source elements and isn't worthy buying.

I believe that Paramount Pictures distributes FLIGHT TO MARS (1951) for syndicated television airings.

Jeff T.

Corey

Screenwriter
I think as much as we've been wanting a Norma Shearer set, I believe we will finally get one.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd really like to see a Robert Taylor collection: The Law and Jake Wade, Return of the Gunfighter, Waterloo Bridge, High Wall, A Yank at Oxford, Johnny Eager, All The Brothers Were Valiant, Quo Vadis, The Adventures of Quentin Durward, The Last Hunt, take your pick - so many.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

If they did a Robert Taylor set, I'd hope that they would include "Conspirator" with Elizabeth Taylor.

I wonder if we'll ever get a NATIONAL VELVET special edition?

Andy

Corey

Screenwriter

Quo Vadis is being done is Ultra Rez now. Any Vivien Leigh would be appreciated would be appreciated so I would gladly take A Yank at Oxford and Waterloo Bridge. Johnny Eager should be in Film Noir Vol 4 or in a Lana Turner set also including Marriage is A Private Affair, Honky Tonk (maybe Clark Gable V2), Cass Timberlane, and Green Dolphin Street.

Corey

Screenwriter

Its high time we get Elizabeth Taylor Vol 2 with Vol 1 being upgraded to keepcases and include Little Women. My ideal set would be Conspirator, Julia Misbehaves, The Girl Who Had Everything, Beau Brummell, and Cynthia.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd love to see the original RIO RITA. I know it'd look primitive made as it was during the early sound years, but what a great addition to one's library of musicals! And if it takes pairing it with the A & C/Kathryn Grayson remake for us to get it, that's OK.

Corey

Screenwriter
i would also love to have the hard way, our vines have tender grapes, born to bad, the whiter cliffs of dover, a guy named joe, dubarry was a lady, viva villa, min & bill, the sin of madeline cluadet, morning glory. the latter 3 were all best actress oscar winners and therefore of importance. would also like to see on dvd:
-ah wildnerness
-test pilot
-the citadel
-norma shearer (smilin through, the barrets of wimpole st, a free soul, the divorcee)
-the mortal storm (prolly in 2008)
-SE of the yearling
-the valley of decision
-Tracy & Hepburn V2-Woman of the Year SE, Keeper of the Flame, Without Love, Sea of Grass
-The Student Prince-Shearer version and Blyth version
-Kismet (1944 & 1955)
-Hollywood Revue of 1929

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

In watching TARZAN Vol 2 it is apparent that WHV didn't take an "all or nothing" approach with this release. By and large the films look fantastic, but they are still RKO prints and some scenes, particularly in DESERT MYSTERY, look like dupey 16mm footage (I'm not saying they are).

Reading a new book about the films (Len Getz's FROM BROADWAY TO THE BOWERY) has heightened my anticipation of these films even more.

Steve

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I just bought the new Tarzan Collection but haven't opened it yet. But what you say is true, Steve. Warner's Val Lewton set was less than perfect as well. I really hope those Bowery Boys start coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks