What's new

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per the Bits On Superman II:
"The Donner Cut will only be available on DVD in the Ultimate Collector's Edition box set, although it will also be released in HD-DVD (and likely Blu-ray Disc if that format is available "

I don't think they would release a new edition of Superman II in standard DVD without the Donner Cut. So we may have to buy the mega set to get the new editions of the first films if we are not ready to upgrade to HD-DVD.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...14.html#warcat

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I'm a little confused....

"Red Headed Woman" will be in the forbidden Hollywood boxset? Wasn't Jean Harlow supposed to have her own boxset later this year? The reason I ask is because Red Headed Woman is the film which made her a huge star, and I couldn't imagine this title NOT being included in a Jean Harlow boxset. Anyone know?

Thanks

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
Aw. I've been dying for more Bob Montgomery on DVD, and all we get (at least from this abbreviated list) is Lady in the Lake. But a lot of the rest of that list is drool-worthy. Can't wait for Across the Pacific.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

As Bill Hunt alluded to, there are several titles unannounced and details to be worked out before we know which box sets and individual titles that are going to be released by Warner this year. As far as Red Headed Woman, Jean Harlow has several titles still available for any collection that Warner releases under her name.
  • Riffraff
  • Hold Your Man
  • Reckless
  • Bombshell
  • Personal Property
  • Wife vs. Secretaty

Crawdaddy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Only one little dissapointment in thinggs mentioned so far.
The Bette Davis box - where is Beyond the Forest? This film used to be on tCM all the time and now it has dissapeared.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Joe,
Let's face it, Bette has enough titles to make 3-4 more box sets from Warners with some of her best films still not out yet on dvd. Such titles as The Corn is Green, The Great Lie, Watch on the Rhine and In This Our Life, just to name a few of them.

Crawdaddy

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Crawdaddy.

I just thought that from a marketing standpoint, it probably would've been easier for Warner to have released the 5 films Harlow and Gable made together in one boxset (ditto the same for Crawford/Gable) and the rest of Harlow's films you mentioned (sans "Hold your Man" & "Wife vs. Secretary") in a Harlow only set. Thanks for the clarification though. I just sort of freaked when I saw Harlow's signature film (arguably) not announced in a Harlow boxset. I hope they don't push the rest of her films back to 2007, though next year will mark the 70th anniversary of her passing - not much to celebrate imho:frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Don't forget about Bobby Jordan from "The Eastside Kids" playing Douglas Fairbanks Rosenbloom in the film.:D

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!

This is just about every single title from Warner Bros I could have ever hoped for!!! There's not a single announcement from that list that doesn't hold interest! The 'Tough Guys Collection' sounds especially great, and I'm thrilled that "Each Dawn I Dies" was included, that saves me an inquiry at the upcoming chat!

Why is it that the only studio releases that seem to excite me to this extent always exclusively come from Warner Bros??

I can't wait for the coming year, it looks to be the best I've seen yet for DVD! I guess the redbook format is going to go out with a bang! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Reggie,
Who knows, there might be two volumes of Jean Harlow films coming out on dvd??? One this year and another next year.

Crawdaddy

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I had better get back to work because I need to keep this job to pay for all of those amazing releases : the restored Baby Face, the (hopefully) restored City For Conquest, the new Fim Noir box , Mutiny On The Bounty, a Gable set -

I know not everything was announced, so I am hoping that on the upcoming list is ESTHER WILLIAMS.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Cooper, definitely deserves a look, hopefully we will get both screwball comedy's that he did with Barbara Stanwyck, i am surprised that the only box sets for either at the moment is the lousy one that Universal did for cooper.

By the way ball of fire was on TCM last night, and it's still funny after all these years!!!

I hope that is in the list, god i am going to be so broke this year

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"Regarding the upcoming chat, Warner will not answer any inquiries about HD product or non-theatrical releases.

Crawdaddy "

Does this mean no questions about Warner TV shows or cartoons ?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Joannes S Just spend your money on Region 1 Warner product. That's what I do. Give Warner money that way, instead of rewarding the stupid efforts of the German distribution arm.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Okay, let me try to gather my thoughts more articulately...

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - with a new feature-length documentary and audio commentaries -- I've been waiting forever for this!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Forbidden Planet (1956) - with a new feature-length documentary - This goes without saying, I cannot wait!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - packaged with The Maltese Falcon - Dangerous Female (1931) and Satan Met a Lady (1936) - One of my most wanted and highly anticipated releases! I can't believe I've held patient this long in my decision not to pick up the standard near-barebones release. My only fix was a theatrical screening at the Cinametheque Quebecoise last year as part of a John Huston month-long retrospective. I'm salivating over this one!! I also hope that WB sees fit to include the current "Becoming Attractions" docu from TCM that is on the existing release. In short - THANK YOU!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

The Dirty Dozen (1967) - :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I've started numerous threads regarding this title. If there's one early Warner release that's candidate for a new S.E. this is it!! Can't wait to purchase! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Look for 4 new Stanley Kubrick SEs including 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971), The Shining (1980) and the original unrated version Eyes Wide Shut (1999). Each will include new documentaries and never-before-seen footage blessed by the Kubrick Estate (although don't look for deleted scenes - Stanley himself never wanted them released). - I'm very excited to hear more about these. The one thing that dissapointed me about Universals' Dr. Strangelove release is that it didn't serve as the definitive DVD representation of the movie. I hope that all of these Special Editions carry over ALL the existing features and possibly offer optional aspect ratios since this has always been a topic of debate and strong opinion by many. Original poster artwork (unlike Universal's Dr. Strangelove) as used on the previous boxed set editions, in new keepcase issues will look splendid! I strongly hope and assume this will be the case. Even if not though, I'll pick these all up as "doubles" for the extras and hopefully improved transfers alone. But a definitive packaging would really be nice. Even though the first S.E. box set is nearly 4 years old now, it's still one of my favorites that I own and I probably revisit it the most out of any other in my collection. These are easily my favorite films EVER. I really hope they're done justice... it will be difficult to top the previous box set, it's going to be hard to let that go! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

There's a new John Wayne/John Ford Collection on the way, which will include The Searchers: 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition (1956), along with a Stagecoach: Two-Disc Special Edition (1939), Fort Apache (1948), The Long Voyage Home (1940), The Wings of Eagles (1957), She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949), They Were Expendable (1945) and 3 Godfathers (1948). - THANK YOU WARNER BROS!!! We all knew this was coming as a result of last year's chat, but that doesn't diminish the excitement! Among my favorite westerns of all-time, I can't wait to own this one! It's been long overdue!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

There's also The John Ford Collection that will include The Lost Patrol (1934), The Informer (1935), Cheyenne Autumn (1964), Mary of Scotland (1936) and Sergeant Rutledge (1960). - Many films I haven't seen here, but the words "John Ford" and "Box Set" are strong enough a selling point for me!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Grand Prix: 2-Disc Special Edition (1966) - Never seen and the theme doesn't hold much interest but a great director and strong cast line-up, a possible buy depending on reviews. I'll probably give it a rental first.

The Astaire and Rogers Collection, Volume 2 - featuring Flying Down to Rio (1933), The Gay Divorcee (1934), Roberta (1935), Carefree (1938) and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939) - You know, prior to these Warner releases, I was never a big fan of musicals. I first picked up the "That's Entertainment" box set and enjoyed it immensely. Since than, I grabbed the "Musicals Collection" and first Astaire & Rogers collection and I'm hooked! I love these and am really looking forward to the second volume!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

The Busby Berkley Collection - featuring Footlight Parade (1933), Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933), Dames (1934) and Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935) - Another hit and the inclusion of the "Night At The Movies" featurettes are a huge plus!! I absolutely love these extra cartoons, newsreels and vintage shorts and wish they'd be included on ALL classic film releases from WHV! I often find myself adding movies to my wishlist that I might not have otherwise, just because of the addition of certain classic cartoon or comedy shorts, etc. A major thumbs up, really looking forward to this!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

The Warner Tough Guys Collection - featuring 'G' Men (1935), Bullets or Ballots (1936), San Quentin (1937), A Slight Case of Murder (1938), Each Dawn I Die (1939) and City for Conquest (1940) - Out of all the announcements, this one excites me the most! I've only seen about half of these films, but I cannot wait to pick up this set! I've been adamantly pushing for the release of "Each Dawn I Die" for some time now and mentioning it often on this forum. It's one of Cageny's great unacknowledged roles imo! This one really takes the cake for me, an instant release day purchase and I think this will require a scheduled weekend-long screening with friends too! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Knute Rockne All American (1940) - just for you Notre Dame alumni! - ???

The Marlon Brando Signature Collection - featuring Julius Ceasar (1953), Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967) and The Formula (1980) - I'm embarassed to say that I've never seen Julius Caesar. I've never seen The Formula for that matter either, but I doubt that's as significant. I'll likely pick this set up for JC and Reflections In A Golden Eye which costars Elizabeth Taylor and is another directed by Huston. Sounds like a winner to me! I'll wait for further specs before deciding on the boxset or the two standalone titles. Another purchase, in some form, regardless. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Bette Davis Collection, Volume 2 - including a new Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?: Two-Disc Special Edition (1962 - with new and vintage documentaries and never-before-seen footage), Jezebel (1938), Old Acquaintance (1943), Marked Woman (1937) and The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942). - THANK YOU!!!!! Not much more I can say here. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new transfer on 'Jezebel' and I've been hoping for 'The Man Who Came To Dinner' for a long time! I've also started threads on HTF in the past inquiring about a Special Edition for one of my favorite later Bette Davis films... "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?". I'm REALLY excited about that one! Another must-have release day purchase! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

The Lucy and Desi Collection (due 5/9, SRP $29.92) - featuring The Long, Long Trailer (1954), Forever, Darling (1955) and Too Many Girls (1940) - Never seen these but sounds like fun. If it were any other company, I'd wait for a rental, but with Warner's track record - this is going to be a blind buy for me! Looking forward to some Lucille Ball on DVD, hope I enjoy them!! :emoji_thumbsup:

The Tennessee Williams Film Collection (due 5/2, SRP $79.92) - featuring A Streetcar Named Desire: Two-Disc Special Edition (1951), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: Deluxe Edition (1958), Sweet Bird of Youth (1962), Baby Doll (1956), The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961) and The Night of the Iguana (1964). - This is one of the sets that had been previously announced and I've been counting down the days ever since, I'm really looking forward to it!! I recently caught "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" on TCM about 2 weeks ago and it's such a great film, the transfer looked equally great! This is another must-have for me and it's got some fo the most classy and beautiful packaging designs yet with some amazing sounding extras to boot! Can't wait for that 2-disc Streetcar!! Release day purchase again!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Clark Gable - including Mogambo (1953), Dancing Lady (1933) and Boom Town (1940) - Haven't seen these films but very much looking forward to! :emoji_thumbsup:

James Stewart - including The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) and The Naked Spur (1953) - Can't wait, looking forward to what elose is announced!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Humphrey Bogart - including Passage to Marseille (1944), Action in the North Atlantic (1943) and Across the Pacific (1942) - Finally!!! I wonder if we will finally se a 2-Disc Special Edition of "The Big Sleep"???

I also wouldn't mind a repackaging of "To Have And Have Not", "Key largo", "They Drive By Night", "Dark Passage" and "TBS" in one nicely designed box set and upgraded keepcases. That would warrant a rebuy for me since I've been hesitant to pick some of these up due to this very reason.

More Film Nior titles including Lady in the Lake (1947) - The crown jewel of Warner Bros. annual releases, bring 'em on... and :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: to 'Lady In The Lake'!!!! I've been patiently waiting for that one!!!!

Paul Newman - Could this FINALLY mean a release of one of my all-time favorites... 'Cool Hand Luke'???

Taylor & Burton - :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary Cooper - including Sergeant York (1941) and The Hanging Tree (1959) - Just watched a great comedy from 1950 with Cooper and Stanwyck on TCM last night about a professor compiling data for an encyclopedia of slang terms who goes undercover on the streets of new york to gather research and meets Barbara Stanwyck as a dancer at a nightclub. Great film, I didn't end up watching till the end because I had work to do and I forget the name of the movie, but I hope it's included in this upcoming collection. More Gary Cooper on DVD is never a bad thing!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

And once again... THANK YOU WARNER BROS!!!!!!!!!!

Now please release your MGM Happy Harmony and Barney Bear theatrical shorts in a comprehensive DVD set along with your MGM Tex Avery cartoons.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
What a great slate of DVDs Warner will be releasing...they are head & shoulders above any other studio! A pleasure to see a a studio that really cares about its product and its customers!

Even though none of my top 10 Warner DVD wants were on the list, there is still a lot of titles there I will be picking up.

And I will also add my hopes for a DVD of Billy Budd, Performance, Straight Time and most especially The Devils. Prince of the City and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter are just 2 more from my list that deserve mention for DVD releases too.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
One thing I'm not too clear on... these are going to be released in high-def alongside standard redbook DVD?

Is that the plan for all of these announced titles, or are they simply HD-sourced transfers?

I'm confused because int he HD forum, these (specifically the Superman set and Forbidden Planet) were cited among the first HD releases.

IF it's the case... will they appear on both HD-DVD an BD formats, or one or the other? If they are coming out in 3 different formats, I would not like to have to spend all this money only to repurchase a few months later. Also, I imagine these will be due out fairly soon... it's usually anywhere from 3-5 months before announced titles like these begin to appear on shelves, so how in the world will anyone be able to play these back in HD considering I've not yet heard of any players on the market?

Perhaps I totally misread this announcement, but would somebody mind clarifying.

Also, slightly dissapointed that the subject of HD will nopt be brought up at the chat this month as that's one thing I would've loved for Warner Bros. to touch upon. It's a strong concern of mine and it would have been really nice to hear a layout and formula for hwo the company plans to address and manage their home video output in the new formats. I would have had a couple of related questions for them as well regarding back catalogue titles and recent releases as well as their general disc format plans.

Oh well...

Also a shame about the TV shows considering it's a major issue with the recent announcement of management shift in that depratment and the apparent stifling of certain Hanna-Barbera titles. It would have been nice to get some clarification on these.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Definately some good stuff coming but I can't get too excited about this until I see the Bowery Boys sets that were mentioned in the chat to be coming this year announced. Hopefully they are part of the 52 sets. These are my top want from Warners. When they releases all 48 films in several box sets then I too will be kissing the Warner alter.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Re: The Superman Set, I'm thinking we'll get the following.

3-Discs for Superman I (Original and SE Cuts)
3-Discs for Superman II (Original and Donner Cut)
2-Discs for Superman III
2-Discs for Superman IV
2-Discs for Supergirl
2-Discs for Additional Bonus Programs/Material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks