What's new

Warner Signature Collections Thought (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wish Warner Bros would distinguish between signature collections that are primarily all new to DVD releases such as Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, and James Stewart sets and those that are primarily repackages of films previously released such as Bogart and Bacall, Henry Fonda, and Tracy and Hepburn .
I wish they would change the name of one or the other. The Joan Crawford and Bette Davis sets were not called signature collections for some reason.
Perhaps the name signature collection can be reserved for primarily new to DVD releases.

The signature films boxes are not always the star's signature films i.e. films they are best known for. The Gable set does not include Gone With The Wind or Mutiny On The Bounty . The Flynn set does not have the Adventures of Robin Hood. All these had been previously released before the Signature box sets were released.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Those films aren't included because they would upset fans who purchased the previous Warner sets of which those films were apart of.

Nobody wants multiple box sets in their collection, with the same films. It would be redundant and a waste of money. It would also put people off from buying box sets with the degree of confidence that Warners has allowed us to demonstrate with their consistently fabulous releases.

So I think it's a wise decision. I'm not sure what the problem is here...

I don't believe any of the films included in the Tracy / Hepburn set were included in previous collections either. Wasn't that just a repackaging of previously issued individual snap-case releases?

I'm not certain as I haven't picked it up yet. But again, I have to commend their efforts with that as well. I'd rather have the option of buying a value-packaged and nicely designed collection of thematically relevant films, than a bunch of individually released, poorly designed snappers.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The only Warner Signiture collection that has alot of repeasts is pretty much the Henry Fonda one, where I think 3 of the 5 films are in other boxsets. Otherwise they are all pretty exclusive.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
For actors with long associations with Warner, RKO, and/or MGM, such as Bogart and Flynn, they can do box sets of significant films and not overlap with other ones that have been released. I don't think Warner has enough classic Henry Fonda films in their archives to do this...but Fox might. :)

Regards,

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I didn't mean that films were in other box sets. I meant that films in the Tracy and Hepburn, John Wayne, Bogart and Bacall were first released individually and later put in a box set. The Flynn and Gable sets were or are
released in a box set first or concurrently with the individual releases.
As a fan I have bought and probably paid a lot more money for the films that are now to be part of the Bogart and Bacall set at a bargain price. All I was saying is that box sets of films that been previously released with the same transfer and put together in a box should be labeled differently from box sets with films new to DVD or improved transfers or extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks