What's new

Warner: Citizen Kane digital restoration problem (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, apparently nobody else is going to post this, so here I go.
Apparently there is a problem with one scene in on the Kane DVD where it appears that the digital clean up program or whatever mistook some raindrops for film grain and erased them. The result is a rather odd looking rainfall where the drops appear to disappear part way down the frame.
The Big Picture noticed this and it is reference in their review, which is http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-bin/master/viewer.cgi/Citizen_Kane
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.
[Edited last by Rain on September 28, 2001 at 02:51 PM]

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree with this. You can even see the exact moment where the mistake occurs as Bernstein walks towards the window...as he is walking, you can plainly see a window with rain pouring, but as he nears the window the raindrops suddenly disappear. There is also a moment where part of the window frame "jumps" out of place for a brief second. This disc is otherwise beautiful, but it would be practically flawless if this were corrected.
Thanks!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I agree. This should be fixed. I am flabbergasted as to how this could have been missed, but the disc really ought to be fixed and reissued.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DVNR wasn't used on Citizen Kane.
Lowry's digital restoration program must have a library of what scratches and defects look like. DVNR is a totally different process...if Kane (and NxNW, Now Voyager) had it on them, the picture wouldn't look this good.
Also, this might not be a problem with the restoration...being that Kane was made for such as low budget, they may have not addded milk to the rain to keep it visible to the camera.
It would be nice if someone could show a comparison between the laserdisc and the DVD images of the frames.
I just don't think Lowry Digital Images would let this slip by..after all, they went through the trouble to erase guide wires for the crashing plane in North By Northwest...
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks